Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

No display in HP wmr headset

Windows portal works and responds to the movements of the headset: but no display in the set. Audio works. Have followed the suggestions regarding insider windows preview, developer mode enabled. bios updates, driver updates, numerous restarts, re-installation of the portal. It is very frustrating I don't understand how it is permissible under consumer law to sell such products. They give you hypertension. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• @jayem you need to post what hardware & software you are using, it is only then we can suggest what solutions you can try to resolve the issue.... sounds like a graphic driver issue.... what is the display cable connection - HDMI or mini display / HDMI ????? The technology is in it's early stages of development, if you google the internet, you will see that are major display issues, they get fixed and then reoccur after subsequent windows updates. Patience is key if you want to be a pioneer in this technology.

Legacy MCSE SCO ACE CompTIA A+ Network+ Professional.
    Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• Hi thorpeca, the specs are:
    Windows 10 home 64 bit Version 1709, build 16299.125
    Intel i7-7700hq @ 2.80ghz
    8 gb ram
    nvidia geforce gtx 1050
    Hdmi
    usb 3.0
    All packaged in a new HP omen laptop.

HP help desk has had remote access and tried to get their headset to work on their computer with no luck. The tech informed me he would be referring the matter upstairs (maybe HP stands for heavenly person :)
    I hope to have some time free over the Christmas break to take the headset to a store and check its functionality on another computer.

• I have the same problem here, but my specs seem to be different. I've got a FX6300, GTX 1060, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 Build 17063 and of course USB 3.0 and HDMI 2.0. The headset used to work just a few days ago.

• @wulkanat & @jayem just so you guys know... you are not the only ones having display issues since December 8 - 12 updates. My Acer Headset had a reoccurrence of flickering display issues but in my case, I run a Surface Pro 4 Icore 7 16GB 256 SSD system which uses the Intel IRIS 540 Integrated Graphics that technically is not supported my Microsoft. I had it working reasonably well with a few occasional glitches until about a day after installing the new updates. I was even able to run a webcam from within Cliff House. I can only suggest a little patience while we wait for Microsoft to sort through the complaints in the Feedback Hub. I do note that Intel just release a new Graphic Driver on December so for those using Intel Graphic cards, a solution should be forthcoming. Check on the Nvidia Forums and see if there are any issues being reported. Google search show a lot of frustrated users.

Former Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Authorized UNIX & LINUX Trainer, Accountant.

• It's hard to be patient when the window for returning this new notebook and headset is coming soon. I didn't get a developer headset when they became available because I didn't want to be a beta tester. Any particular feedback hub entries we should be "recreate problem" logging for?

• @NXTwoThou I use the Feedback Hub in Settings Windows Update "Give Us Feedback" for any issue... if you find that you need clarification, try sending a message to help@microsoft.com ... see if they can assist....
    I think Microsoft & Intel are heavily burdened right now with problem issues arising out of the new products (Kabylake related) they have recently brought to market. Their support priority is to get these fixes out first, unfortunately older hardware users are suffering. This is typical of the problems of bringing new technologies to market. From what I see, as they issue new updates, they are inadvertently disabling code on older systems that previously was supporting the performance of the MR software... I can only suggest patience.... corporate goals will always take precedence to consumer needs. I have been associated with Microsoft technologies since 1983, professionally since 1996, so have no false impressions as to what is to be expected in development years.

• We bought HP Omen laptops with "free" virtual reality headsets and neither headset works. We seem to have the same problems as noted above. I am not very techy. Is the summary that: they are not going to work and I have to wait for a Windows up-date? Or should I return the headsets? On a personal level, an irritating dimension to Christmas Day!

• I have the exact same problem with my Lenovo one.
    My spec is
    GTX1070 + Ryzen1700x
    usb3.1

I connected the cable directly to the graphic card hdmi 2.0b port and usb3.1 directly on the motherboard, but no display on the headset. I purchased mine on 12/13, and have not been able to make it work on my system as of today.

• @aitch36 and @Je90 Just for our info... have you run the Microsoft Mixed Reality PC Check utility and have confirmation components meet the specification.... BTW I believe you do but the latest windows updates have created a number of glitches and I just want to ensure that we do not have any possible conflicts at play by the OS. Also check Device Manager, make sure all components are functioning. Also run DxDiag... If you can post screenshots or logs of the results do so, for us to look at.

• Hi @jayem - exact same issue with the same hardware (HP Omen Nvidia 1050 and HP WMR headset). This is a fully supported combination and should work. I'll post back here if I work it out.

• FYI, I picked up an Accell USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter for my Dell Inspiron 15 7577 notebook. I unplugged my headset, did the mixed reality uninstall, restarted, went into device manager and showed hidden devices and removed everything I could find dealing with the headset and controllers(fyi, the motion controllers come back upon restart even after removing from device manager), plugged in the adapter, restarted, then connected up my Samsung Odyssey to it and the USB 3.1 port. It installed everything, then restarted.

When I tried to click the mixed reality portal again, everything kept stuttering and freezing(it had the standard background in the app with the spinner that would spin every few seconds, occasionally the whole screen would blink out). I let it go for about 10 minutes before slowly getting my mouse over the x to close it. I went ahead and sent in a few feedback recordings on existing "can't load portal" entries.

With the onboard HDMI 2.0 port, everything looked like it was working, just black screen in the headset. When I turned on preview, I could aim with my controller and fully interact. With the usb-c to hdmi adapter, the backlight is on in the headset, just can't get anywhere with the software. I went ahead and joined back up on the insider program(17063) in hopes it'd help. Unfortunately exact same behavior.

• Heh, anyone try a usb-c to mini display port with mini display port to hdmi connector? (grasping at straws as I don't have a mini display port on my machine). I've got a 4K mini-display port to hdmi for my Surface Pro 3.

• jayemjayem
    edited January 2018

Keeping you updated: The store I purchased the unit from did not have any on display nor did they have a pc set up for windows mixed reality. So the only way I could check the headset was to exchange it for another one; which they had none in stock and could not confirm when the next shipment would arrive.
    Yesterday a tech from HP did an onsite visit to see if he could resolve the problem to no avail. Today he tells me he needs to replace the motherboard as that's what he has been advised by his HP counterparts.
    I am a bit worried about this. If it was a desktop no worries but with a laptop, I have got an uneasy feeling I am opening a Pandora's box. What do you think? Shouldn't HP provide a straight swap? I am even considering buying a MAC

• @joey12345 said:
    I solved the problem. My problem was using an HP Omen 15 laptop with the HP WMR headset. The issue seems to be the HDMI port on the laptop. I bought a belkin Mini Display Port to HDMI adaptor (4K ready). Plugging the HDMI cable into this fixed the problem instantly.

Worth noting, I also tried the USB-C to HDMI route and display worked but was very corrupted. The Mini display port worked without needing to reinstall anything. This doesn't make much sense (the HDMI port works to drive an external monitor) but I hope this solution is helpful to those still trying to work it out.

Thanks. The suggestion of using the mini hdmi port through an adapter worked for me also. It makes you wonder why it would be the case. As you say it must be an issue with the HDMI port. Thanks again I was just about to give up hope

• I was very happy to see this in response to one of the Feedbacks. I hope they push the build out soon.

• @NXTwoThou Thanks for posting this communication, it confirms my suspicions that it was update code that was causing the issues.... hopefully that patch will be available soon and we can all continue to explore the MR Headset potential.

• 17074 just finished installing on my notebook. IT WORKS!!!! I'm so insanely happy. I wonder why they didn't make mention of this in the release notes.

• I encounter the same issue as you : no way to make the mixed reality portal work (black screen, and really slow behaviour under the mixed reality portal : it seems to generate something wrong in the windows' manager process, look into your task manager).
    Do you know if and when the 17074 update containing the fix will be deployed for "non-insiders"?

• Has anyone figured this out? After days of trying to get my headset to work I finally sent it in to samsung repair. They found 0 issues with it and they say its perfectly working. My specs are i7-6700k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, ASUS Maximus VIII Impact

• I finally got the 17074 update and it did not fix the issue for me.....

• Can some of you list the Nvidia driver version you are using. I am using the latest 390.65. I am going to try rolling back a version.

• DXDiag on my machine lists 23.21.13.9065(390.65) and 22.20.16.4836 for Intel(Intel has a newer version 4901 but it doesn't work with my machine so I'm having to use the Dell provided one)

• I have a Dell Inspiron 7577 and the Dell Visor VR118. I had the same black display issue. I updated BIOS and all drivers and still no go. When I checked my system updates it appears that my last update didn't apply correctly. I went to MICROSOFT directly to download the February Cumulative Update and applied it manually. Everything appears to be working now. I'll comment back if that changes.

February's Cumulative Update can be found here :
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4074588

• Here's my entry moved from the windows mixed reality community forum at the advise of someone at MS hoping someone would be able to better help(reading all these other posts just frustrated me more). The frustrating part is I got a whole week of it working.

Long and the short of it. How do you get past the whole "mixed reality portal preview shows everything is fine but I'm just getting a black screen in my headset with the blinky light"?

Cyber monday special from Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577 with a 1060MaxQ. Bought a Samsung HMD Odyssey from MS during the 12 days of Christmas.

Has immediate issues with the notebook as it wouldn't automatically update to the fall creators update. I had to download the media create tool and upgrade from there. Once there, I was able to attach my headset and got to play around a bit. My bosses new notebook came in, so I hooked it up to that machine and let him play around to see if he was interested in getting into the windows mixed reality universe. Attached it back to my machine and besides having to repair the controllers. Everything was working fine.

Then my machine decided to try and pick up the latest insider build. It got stuck installing and was stuck in an endless loop of downloading 3+ GB, trying to install, then downloading the whole damned thing again. Tried to use my headset but the mixed reality portal wanted to download something and it couldn't because updates were stuck by this install I couldn't get rid of(I assumed I rolled the dice on being an insider and bowed out, but couldn't clear it from constantly trying to download it). After two days of trying every suggestion online, I gave up and did a factory reset on my machine(reset didn't work).

The good news is, after the factory reset, it was able to pull down and install the fall creators update properly. I then did all the dell/intel driver updates(including a bios update that came out today) and updated my nvidia drivers. Plugged in my headset, it downloaded what it needed. Paired the controllers. Then it pretended like everything was okay, except that the displays in my headset aren't coming on.

So, the headset was tested on this piece of hardware and a second piece of hardware. I'm pretty sure that means it's not defective and my notebook isn't defective.

Where do I go from here? The whole purpose of buying this notebook was windows mixed reality. I was thrilled(when it worked) but I'm quickly souring on the experience. From what I see online, people are grabbing usb-c to hdmi adapters. I really want an explaination as to why I would need to do something like that when it was working previously(even if it wasn't, the specs say I shouldn't have to go to that extreme)

Here's my OneDrive dxdiag info in case it helps any team members who are reading along to track down the issue. I've got no problems switching back to being an insider if it'll mean I don't have to go through the nightmare of returning all of this stuff.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ap5s9JwCEdNy3aJ4q2IsEzL3w5vkwg

• Have you looked at the developer options in the Mixed Reality Portal. It could be that you have the headset turned on. Try turning it off so you won't be stuck in the simulator and have a black screen in your headset.

• NXTwoThouNXTwoThou ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Ugh, sorry, that was one of those "awaiting moderator approval" messages. I wrote it back in December and it(and dozens of others) just popped in when a moderator approved me. I wish posts that are pending moderation would appear as their original written date, not approved date.
    My issue was solved in Jan with a new insider build. The same code came to production build a few weeks later that fixed other people with the same problem(optimus style graphics)

• LambadaaLambadaa
    edited July 2018

Checking in to report that I am having the exact same problem.

HMD: Dell Visor VR118
    PC: Dell Inspiron 15 7577
    Windows 10 Build: 17134
    Nvidia Driver Version: 398.36

Everything worked fine for the first month, until the display decided to stop turning on.
    Tried using a 4k 60Hz usb-c to HDMI 2.0 adapter, no luck.

The HMD works fine when plugged into my old laptop, an ASUS running a GTX950m, albeit understandably performance leaves much to be desired. The display driver for both systems are on the same version, the major difference being the older machine being on Windows 10 build 16299.

The HDMI and USB3 ports on the 7577 works as expected when a monitor or other USB devices are plugged in, so faulty ports are ruled out too.

This leads me to believe that something went wrong while updating to windows build 17134. I've tried resetting and reinstalling windows a couple times now to no avail.

This has been driving me nuts for the past week, I'm just about ready to just throw in the towel and get an Oculus instead. Anyone else had similar issues and found a fix?

edit: spelling

• Lambadda, I had the exact same problem with my Dell headset. After the latest 1803 update it seemed to get worse, with headset blackouts becoming more and more regular. I finally just gave up and went with an Oculus Rift. After +1 month of trouble-free VR I am finally really enjoying VR. I may try WMR again later this year if they come out with a more stable VR platform.

• @TomC said:
    Lambadda, I had the exact same problem with my Dell headset. After the latest 1803 update it seemed to get worse, with headset blackouts becoming more and more regular. I finally just gave up and went with an Oculus Rift. After +1 month of trouble-free VR I am finally really enjoying VR. I may try WMR again later this year if they come out with a more stable VR platform.

Yeah, I've ordered a Rift, but would still like to find a fix to this problem, seeing as the HMD seems to have no issues in and on itself. Would be nice to be able to use it as a backup HMD.

Cheers.