Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Mapping button inputs to Motion Controllers

Hey folks, while I have made some progress with my FPS control scheme, I'm still hitting a brick wall with Motion Controller buttons. Specifically how to get them to "talk" to Unity. I thought it would be best to illustrate my problem, and what I'm aiming to do.

My issue is with getting Unity's Vertical, and Horizontal inputs to work with the Motion Controller Thumbsticks. I've had some basic success with parenting the Mixed Reality Camera to an FPS Player Controller that I can control with the WASD keys on my keyboard...

But I'd like to map those controls to the Motion Controller Thumbsticks. Trouble is, I can't find where the right scripts are in the Input Manager.

I did some digging around in the various demo scenes provided in the Mixed Reality Toolkit, but no luck so far. I'm just too new to all of this to make heads or tails of it, so if anyone here can help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it!
The FPS Controller Scheme
If/when I get around this Motion Controller button issue, here's how I picture my VR-FPS system working. (Any notes from you folks are welcome.)
Step 1- When the User is physically walking in the room, the FPS controller is parented to the Mixed Reality Camera on the X & Z plane.

In addition, the FPS Controller also inherits the Y rotation of the Mixed Reality Camera. This ensures the FPS Controller rig stays centered and oriented with the User at all times.

Step 2- When the User moves the Thumbstick in Vertical or Horizontal directions, the FPS Controller switches from being the Child of the Mixed Reality Camera, and becomes the Parent of the Mixed Reality Camera.

Step 3- The direction the User moves the Thumbstick determines the direction the FPS Controller moves in the Virtual World, and with it the Mixed Reality Camera. Like in an FPS game with WASD keyboard controls.

Step 4- ‎When the user releases the Thumbstick, the FPS controller returns to being the Child of the Mixed Reality camera as described in Step 1. The User can return to walking naturally throughout the room.

So that's my current roadblock, and that's the goal I'm working towards. Any advice regarding the Motion Controller buttons is appreciated.

-Colin

**- Colin **(Just some weird guy trying to build some weird worlds.)

Best Answer

Answers