Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Motion Controller 3d Model location?

edited December 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

Are the windows motion controller 3d models and texture files hidden inside windows operating system? I'm hoping they are fbx files. Steam VR will load the model but I cant figure out where the home location is? I have a third party steam app that loads the incorrect vive controller model.

Answers

• I'm also looking for them.

• same issue here.
    Only found this model on turbosquid, but I'd rather not pay money for something that's obviously somewhere in my filesystem

• up ? - I'm on the same boat

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

@Apotheosis said:
    Are the windows motion controller 3d models and texture files hidden inside windows operating system? I'm hoping they are fbx files. Steam VR will load the model but I cant figure out where the home location is? I have a third party steam app that loads the incorrect vive controller model.

The format is encrypted and they are not public domain, so they cannot be licensed be put in other product beside the manual offline loader (c) contains all the files for Mixed Reality and Windows MR Steam app is the property of the Steam Corp as is similar to that of a Windows CAB

• Really no controllers models from Microsoft? I would like to have them visible on a second person in multiplayer and there is no way I can get them without paying for the model?
    @neerajwadhwa

• I agree this is nonsense. Oculus provide not only detailed 3D models of their controllers but also hands via their avatar system. In my opinion this should be delivered in a SDK

• No official info in this topic yet? Please guys....

• I also need them for multiplayer and special tutorial I am working on.. Why is this this way?

• I found it! A search of my drives for "*.obj" did the trick. They should be located within folders in your equivalent of C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\OpenVR
    Hope that helps someone else searching around.

• @sethburnette said:
    I found it! A search of my drives for "*.obj" did the trick. They should be located within folders in your equivalent of C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\OpenVR

I can't find the model there

• @OptiLenso said:

@sethburnette said:
    I found it! A search of my drives for "*.obj" did the trick. They should be located within folders in your equivalent of C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\OpenVR

I can't find the model there

You need the Windows 10 3D Viewer installed and associated with the files and must be on a PC with Mixed Reality software installed (for WMR headset, not Hololens)