Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Problem with Dell headset using Alienware Graphics Amplifier

When I use my Dell mixed reality headset with my Alienware 17 r4 laptop connected to an Alienware Graphics Amplifier with a gtx 1080 ti card (headset hdmi and usb connected to AGA) it works great for ~5 minutes, then I get the odd 'white flash' through the headset.  If I am playing a game like assetto corsa that also displays on my laptop monitor I do not see any flashes on the monitor, just the headset.  If I continue on these flashes increase and finally the headset display blacks out.  If I shutdown the mixed reality portal and start it up again it works fine for a while but in time the white flashes return.

If I remove the AGA and go back to my laptops internal gtx1060 everything works fine again (after an extra restart).  So, right now my AGA and 1080 ti are not usable for Windows Mixed Reality.  Very disappointing, esp. after the cost of both of these.  Also, the very small performance increase with the AGA/1080 ti for non-VR does not make it worthwhile to switch back and forth to.

All my drivers and bios are up to date. I have also contacted Dell Support but their early response is that this is a 3rd party WMR issue and they are not sure what they can do. They will be passing this onto one of their development team guys so maybe he/she will be able to help.

Best Answers

• Options
    TomCTomC
    Answer ✓

Thanks but I now think that this is currently a Dell issue. I have asked them to actually test their Alienware Graphics Amplifier together with their Dell WMR and their VR-ready laptops to see if this all works together ok or not. I suspect that the AGA will need new WMR compatible drivers and maybe the laptops bios may need tweaking. I'll let you know the outcome.

If they (Dell) cannot resolve this I may ask for assistance from the WMR team later. Thanks for your reply.

• Options
    TomCTomC
    Answer ✓

After trying many new driver installs (coached by Dell Support) I am starting to suspect that the AGA psu is not supplying enough clean power under load for both my gtx 1080 ti and Dell WMR headset. I may need to look at replacing the stock psu with a better quality psu.

Answers

• Options

Here is a way for you to solve this problem : submitting your question in Feedback Hub.
    Feedback Hub is a Microsoft Store app, the download link is here.
    Mixed Reality Team can fetch application logs directly from your pc by Feedback hub. It is quite helpful for solving your problem. It also lets you provide screenshots. The more info you can give, the better.
    For more specific operation steps please refer to this question.

• Options
    TomCTomC
    Answer ✓

Thanks but I now think that this is currently a Dell issue. I have asked them to actually test their Alienware Graphics Amplifier together with their Dell WMR and their VR-ready laptops to see if this all works together ok or not. I suspect that the AGA will need new WMR compatible drivers and maybe the laptops bios may need tweaking. I'll let you know the outcome.

If they (Dell) cannot resolve this I may ask for assistance from the WMR team later. Thanks for your reply.

• Options
    TomCTomC
    Answer ✓

After trying many new driver installs (coached by Dell Support) I am starting to suspect that the AGA psu is not supplying enough clean power under load for both my gtx 1080 ti and Dell WMR headset. I may need to look at replacing the stock psu with a better quality psu.

• Options
    TomCTomC
    edited January 2018

Still no help from Dell.

• Options
    TomCTomC
    edited February 2018

I just tried using a better psu (Corsair cs750m) and this did not help.

• Options

Just to keep you all in the loop, Dell Support has recently been very supportive. They have tested a FE 1080ti with a 13 r? with internal gtx1060 6gb and Dell headset. Apparently this worked fine and WMR did not flash-out, even after hours of use. They sent me the AGA and cable they used and when I tried it I got the same problems. I have sent this back to them and they will now try to source a 17 R4 with my config (intenral gtx1060) and see what happens. If this works ok for them then maybe there is a problem with my Zotac 1080ti blower, even though it is supposed to be same config as FE. Plus, I tried an external HD monitor and it seemed to work fine. However I don't think that the net result is going to be very positive. Using the internal gtx1060 the NVidia control panel says that this is pcie x8 gen3. When I use the AGA with gtx1080 ti it reports pcie x4 gen3. I think that this may explain why I see very little performance improvements when using my 1080ti with most 3d programs, esp. with WMR games/apps.