Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Cannot Run HoloLens Emulator (Hologram 101E App)

First of all, the HoloLens Academy classes are fantastic. I started following the course from 101E. I didn't have any major problems until I tried to run the app from Visual Studio. (The rebuild works with no errors.) If try to run the app, the emulator fails with the following error:

"The connection to the virtual machine is lost. The virtual machine might be disabled by another application. The emulator must close."

Has anybody encounter a similar problem? Any solution/workaround? (FYI, I have no problem running Win10 phone emulators on this machine.)

Thanks,
~Harry+

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Angela,

Thanks for the reply, and for the helpful suggestions.

(1) I didn't have anything unusual on my Hyper-V Manager. No duplicate entries, etc. The interesting thing is that I was able to start (and connect to) the HoloLens Emu virtual machine with no problem from Hyper-V Manager.
    (2) But, every time I try to run the emulator from Visual Studio, always the same error. I tried removing entries from Hyper-V Manager, and uninstalling/reinstalling the emulator, etc., but nothing really worked.
    (3) Then, I found an interesting workaround. I started the emulator VM from Hyper-V manager first, and then tried running the app from Visual Studio. This actually started the app in the emulator with no issues.

I now successfully finished 101E, and I'm moving on to 210.

Thanks!
    ~Harry+

• Hello harryplus and ahillier,

Looking for assistance as well. I have a vmware workstation running win10, studio and hyperV, etc

when i open the project and debug the app, i see the VM being created in hyperV, but then i get an error popup in studio stating "Canno assign the specified number of processers for virtual machine...". when i close the popup, the VM in hyperV then disappears.

I have tested manually creating a dummy VM in HyperV just to make sure it works, and it does.

Any help will be much appreciated.

• @James,

Have you seen this thread? https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/414/couldnt-change-the-processor-of-the-virtual-machine

The discussion there might be relevant to the issue you are having.

~Harry+

• @harryplus ,

Yes, I followed that thread. There was no positive outcome for that person, or myself when i tried following what i could, since i am not using parallels.

I even followed this nicely documented thread: windowscomments.com/?p=1491

• @harryplus said:
    Hi Angela,

Thanks for the reply, and for the helpful suggestions.

(1) I didn't have anything unusual on my Hyper-V Manager. No duplicate entries, etc. The interesting thing is that I was able to start (and connect to) the HoloLens Emu virtual machine with no problem from Hyper-V Manager.
    (2) But, every time I try to run the emulator from Visual Studio, always the same error. I tried removing entries from Hyper-V Manager, and uninstalling/reinstalling the emulator, etc., but nothing really worked.
    (3) Then, I found an interesting workaround. I started the emulator VM from Hyper-V manager first, and then tried running the app from Visual Studio. This actually started the app in the emulator with no issues.

I now successfully finished 101E, and I'm moving on to 210.

Thanks!
    ~Harry+

This one worked for me. Thanks Harry