Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Planning on creating some HoloLens development tutorials, any suggestions?

Hello All,

I am planning to create some HoloLens tutorials as it seems that a lot of people find that the ones provided are not very up to date with the constantly changing MRTK and the very lack of them out there. Does anyone have suggestions on what they find was/is most difficult for them to understand? What problems are you having when it comes to developing for the HoloLens?

AR Developer

Tagged:

Best Answer

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @dbarrett.

That's a noble pursuit.

My two cents would be explaining HoloToolkit-free basics. What is spatial mapping, what is gaze, what are gestures, etc. There (still) seems to be a BIG mess in people's heads about what native Unity APIs are and what HoloToolkit API's are build on top of that. I'm personally really unhappy about the number of basic questions people ask because HoloToolkit is sold to them as a default and because it replaces simple(-ish) concepts with re-invented, re-branded, not always how it's conventional in Unity techniques and countless singletons. Start with an empty scene and a camera. Unclutter.

The world is a better place with HoloToolkit, don't get me wrong:)

Also try to not only "just drop this prefab here and don't ask questions" but also explain fundamental concepts: how to think about them and how to understand them. I see a general dominance of the former these days unfortunately...

I also understand that my suggestion may be unconventional and "against the current".

Cheers

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓

Hey, @dbarrett.

That's a noble pursuit.

My two cents would be explaining HoloToolkit-free basics. What is spatial mapping, what is gaze, what are gestures, etc. There (still) seems to be a BIG mess in people's heads about what native Unity APIs are and what HoloToolkit API's are build on top of that. I'm personally really unhappy about the number of basic questions people ask because HoloToolkit is sold to them as a default and because it replaces simple(-ish) concepts with re-invented, re-branded, not always how it's conventional in Unity techniques and countless singletons. Start with an empty scene and a camera. Unclutter.

The world is a better place with HoloToolkit, don't get me wrong:)

Also try to not only "just drop this prefab here and don't ask questions" but also explain fundamental concepts: how to think about them and how to understand them. I see a general dominance of the former these days unfortunately...

I also understand that my suggestion may be unconventional and "against the current".

Cheers

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• No I totally agree with you. I actually have that written down as one of the fundamental reasons why I want to do this. Most of the questions I answer have to do with people not understanding how the HoloToolKit fits in to Unity or other really basic concepts. I like the HoloToolKit but, it feels like most people don't know how to use it or understand code well enough to read through and figure out what each script is doing.

AR Developer

• Also try to not only "just drop this prefab here and don't ask questions" but also explain fundamental concepts: how to think about them and how to understand them.

Especially this was something I really disliked about the tutorials provided by Microsoft.

It also took me a long time to get things working with the new Toolkit! The tutorials were great to see what the HoloLens is actually capable of, but didn't help me much developing my own programs as there had been too many changes to the Toolkit. I think some remakes of the basic tutorial with explanations and without all the "drop prefabs" and "download all the files in this folder" thing would help a lot of people.

• What @stepan_stulov said.
    Maybe how do storage and item calling/updating on saves?
    I know i'm having issues with **GUI **updating/re-position and locking(damn spatial mapping) with drop downs.

• utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

My biggest problem is how to market a really unique and beneficial software product. One that is a breakthrough for opening the human mind. See, minds are so closed, they can't get why this would be a good thing. So ... oh, well. But, that's my thought of what you could explain that would be beneficial to everyone, as in the world I mean ... which personally to you could be much more rewarding thing to explain, as a first go ... so to speak.