Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

"We couldn't download the Windows Mixed Reality software"

I'm just trying to get my Acer headset set up. I believe I've correctly set up Windows to do so and when I launch the Mixed Reality portal it detects the headset and goes through the setup process. I'm able to find the floor, set boundaries, and immediately after it says to insert the headphone jack I get a message that says "We couldn't download the Windows Mixed Reality software". If I click Try Again I briefly see a message flash that says "Hang tight while we do some downloading" and see the error again. I have enough drive space. Any ideas?

Answers

• Having the same issue. You ever find a solution Andy?

• I'm getting the same error message, but with the setup of the Mixed Reality Simulator. Any solutions?

• Same error while setting up the device, right after it asks to plug in headphones. Any idea how to get around this?

• Hi you all need to upvote on Windows FeedBack Hub to get this visible to the MR engineers

Also look at another thread for problems Can't get the Mixed Reality emulator to start

• Hi, this is still a problem. Running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 build 16215.1000.
    Any workarounds?

• OS built 15063 seems to be working. Have you guys followed this: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install_the_tools

If you go in Device manager, is your headset showing up as Mixed Reality device and also under monitors?

• JulcianeJulciane
    edited June 2017

Hello all,
    I'm facing the same problem when I try to Set up Simulation (for developers).
    Does anyone could solve that problem?

• Could be the camera privacy setting see Can't get the Mixed Reality emulator to start

• The issue in OS Builds 16199 and 16215 should be fixed in 16226. Thank you all for your patience with this issue. If you continue to see this or similar issues in 16226, or later, please give us feedback.

• I'm getting the same message ""We couldn't download the Windows Mixed Reality Software" when setting up the headset for the first time with build 16232. Should I downgrade to build 16226?

• I installed build 16257.1, and it worked. It took about 20 minutes to download with the progress bar just sitting empty there for about 15 minutes before it jumped to 95%. I also had to to close and restart the mixed reality portal before it started working correctly. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing to work with Unity -is there an example that uses the two cameras in Unity?

• Hi I'm running OS Build 16296.0 and I'm facing the same problem I don't know what should i do.
    Should I degrade my window?
    will that work or is there any patch available so that i can download and install directly.

• You should not need to downgrade

• @Sarumpllc said:
    Hi I'm running OS Build 16296.0 and I'm facing the same
    will that work or is there any patch available so that i can download and install directly.

Hi you should be running 16299.15 Windows Insider SLOW

see the thread
    https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/8837/important-mixed-reality-devs-change-your-insider-settings-today-oct-9#latest

see update log https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/windows_insider_flight_and_driver_notes

• I already fixed this, the problem is not come from the MR device. Find "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution", and then delete all the files inside the folder DataStore and Download. After that, change your preferred DNS into 4.2.2.1 and Alternate DNS into 4.2.2.2, and redownload the mixed reality software. Hope this will help. :)

• For anyone in future still having this issue my problem was that for some reason on my Surface Studio a registry setting ended up wrong so Windows thought my computer was unable to run MR thus would not download.

I fixed this registry setting and then the software would download during my first time using a headset. Hope it helps someone.

1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
    2. Now go to following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic
    3. In right-side pane, you'll see a DWORD FirstRunSucceeded. Its value would be set to 0 if Windows thinks your computer can't run MR.
      Actually if your Windows 10 device is compatible with Mixed Reality and meets the hardware requirements to run Holographic stuff, Windows 10 runs a configuration wizard at installation time which automatically sets value of above mentioned DWORD FirstRunSucceeded to 1 which also enables Mixed Reality page in Settings app.
      If your device doesn't meed hardware requirements, Windows 10 sets value of FirstRunSucceeded DWORD to 0 which disables Mixed Reality page in Settings app.
      o FirstRunSucceeded = 0 (hides Mixed Reality settings page)
      o FirstRunSucceeded = 1 (shows Mixed Reality settings page)
      PS: If you don't see the DWORD in Registry Editor, you'll need to create it manually.
      Now double-click on FirstRunSucceeded DWORD and change its value to 1 and it'll add the missing Mixed Reality page to Settings app and allow you to download the software.
  • I walked through your fix and it did in fact add the setting but it still fails the download and when I to the setting page it force closes. also it no longer walks me through the initial setup of the mrh, it skips directly to the download and fails. any ideas?

• I am having the same issue I updated to windows 1709 and it keeps on stallling I have tried installing the WMR directly then checking for updates. On updates i get another error: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x800f0922; really hating this Windows Misogynistic Reality experience now

• @Somdit said:
    I already fixed this, the problem is not come from the MR device. Find "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution", and then delete all the files inside the folder DataStore and Download. After that, change your preferred DNS into 4.2.2.1 and Alternate DNS into 4.2.2.2, and redownload the mixed reality software. Hope this will help. :)

This also dose not work It is always in use for me and cannot even be done as admin or bash

• Hi, I've tried everything listed on this article and still can't get past "we couldn't download the windows mixed reality software" any further help?

• SOLVED: I had tried everything above unfortunately without success.
    However, by activating and installing Windows Insider Preview, the problem was solved. (Just plug the headset in after the insider preview updates are finished and it will install the software successfully.) I noticed that it installed a more recent version of the Mixed Reality software.
    I chose the program for Active Development of Windows but I guess you could just opt for Just fixes, apps and drivers instead. I also chose the Microsoft insider pace (I guess you can chose Insider Slow).
    Here is the version currently installed (that works):
    Windows 10 Insider Preview 17074.1002 (rs_prerelease_flt)
    I may try reinstalling Windows 10 and just going for the "Just fixes, apps and drivers" if the preview versions of Windows 10 are too unstable.

• @Alienoir said:
    SOLVED: I had tried everything above unfortunately without success.
    However, by activating and installing Windows Insider Preview, the problem was solved. (Just plug the headset in after the insider preview updates are finished and it will install the software successfully.) I noticed that it installed a more recent version of the Mixed Reality software.
    I chose the program for Active Development of Windows but I guess you could just opt for Just fixes, apps and drivers instead. I also chose the Microsoft insider pace (I guess you can chose Insider Slow).
    Here is the version currently installed (that works):
    Windows 10 Insider Preview 17074.1002 (rs_prerelease_flt)
    I may try reinstalling Windows 10 and just going for the "Just fixes, apps and drivers" if the preview versions of Windows 10 are too unstable.

This worked for me! Thankyou! Took a bit of time for the updates to go through (lots of shutting down and restarting) and the downloads once in Mixed Reality Portal took about 30 mins (seemed to be stuck on 29% for 10 mins). In the end, success!

• MReisMReis
    edited April 2018

Is there any update on this issue?
    I have spend about 20 Hours now - with no success.
    I have installed the stuff from WSUS FOD manually - I then get the Mixed Portal, but it gets stuck at activating the head set - and the same if simulating, so I guess its not the Hardware but dependencies missed in manually installing.
    Trying to Download via the Setup at first went to 100% then nothing.
    After numerous attempts I have reinstalled clean and I activated the Insider Builds and am Running 1803 Build 17134.5
    IN this version it automatically recognized the HMD Dell Visor and installed it and the same for the Controllers.
    The Setup still has an issue similar to before, it Starts to download, but then fails straight, not downloading or showing any percentage.
    The Devices seem to be there clean - It shows the version for the dell visor vr 118 at 10.0.17134.1004 (date 21.06.2006 ?). A lot of the links to the developer.microsoft.com are not found anymore.
    Is there any way to see why the portal software will not download its stuff?
    Kind Regards

(Edit: I have been Told that the FOD Mixed Reality need the OneCore Developer FOD - which I could not find)
    (Edit: In Wire Shark I see that hitting the "Try Again" button will cause a ping to 67.26.137.254 - which does not respond (from my Network or using Websites)

• I just went through the pain of getting Mixed Reality Started after failing with the can't download file error. I am pretty savvy and eventually reinstalled Windows 10.

Steps:

1) Burned a DVD with Windows 10 Version 1709
    2) Fresh reinstall of Windows 10 with Pro License Key
    3) Run windows update through first major Windows Cumulative Update (two cumulative updates are outstanding restart machine with menu before second update begins install.
    4) Turn on Developer Mode in Windows update, make sure developer mode has completed install.
    5) Run Mixed Reality Portal to install mixed reality.

• @Fireplug said:
    For anyone in future still having this issue my problem was that for some reason on my Surface Studio a registry setting ended up wrong so Windows thought my computer was unable to run MR thus would not download.

I fixed this registry setting and then the software would download during my first time using a headset. Hope it helps someone.

1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
    2. Now go to following key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic
    3. In right-side pane, you'll see a DWORD FirstRunSucceeded. Its value would be set to 0 if Windows thinks your computer can't run MR.
      Actually if your Windows 10 device is compatible with Mixed Reality and meets the hardware requirements to run Holographic stuff, Windows 10 runs a configuration wizard at installation time which automatically sets value of above mentioned DWORD FirstRunSucceeded to 1 which also enables Mixed Reality page in Settings app.
      If your device doesn't meed hardware requirements, Windows 10 sets value of FirstRunSucceeded DWORD to 0 which disables Mixed Reality page in Settings app.
      o FirstRunSucceeded = 0 (hides Mixed Reality settings page)
      o FirstRunSucceeded = 1 (shows Mixed Reality settings page)
      PS: If you don't see the DWORD in Registry Editor, you'll need to create it manually.
      Now double-click on FirstRunSucceeded DWORD and change its value to 1 and it'll add the missing Mixed Reality page to Settings app and allow you to download the software.

This pulls a download from 6/21/2006

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Upgrade to Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803 Mixed Reality Software already loaded

@MReis @Enterprise_Developer @terand_1 @drmacca

When you do Windows Update you get "Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803"
    The Windows Mixed Reality is built in Win 10 One core now.
    Remove your WMR Headset cables, Update to version 1803 (check with "Winver command") .Restart Windows 10 Pro, plug in WMR Headset cables. Put on your WMR headset on ready. When you log in again click the Windows MR icon, if the headset is not recognised lift the front up to sleep position and back down again to make it start.

Using the Motion controller click on the Windows start menu button.
    Now you should see the new Custom home environments icon and if you can select the Sky Loft using the down arrow menu .

Checkout the documentation to build your own
    Add custom home environments Custom home environment