Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

IMPORTANT: Mixed Reality devs, change your Insider settings today (Oct 9)!!!

MattZMattZ admin
edited October 2017 in Q&A and Discussions

For those of you developing VR experiences for the new Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets, we have an important message: if you stay in the Windows Insider Fast ring, beginning October 10, 2017 you may begin to receive RS4 builds, which will not be the most stable builds for mixed reality development. To continue mixed reality development uninterrupted, please switch your Insider settings to receive "just fixes, apps, and drivers" without getting a new Windows build from the "Windows Insider Release Preview" ring.

Instructions for switching:
1. Open Windows Settings
2. Select "Update & Security"
3. Select "Windows Insider Program"
4. In the "What kind of content would you like to receive?" drop-down menu, select "Just fixes, apps, and drivers"
5. In the "What pace do you want to get new builds?" drop-down menu, select "Windows Insider Release Preview"

Comments

• The only options I have on "What kind of content would you like to receive " is :
    Just send me early updates : The next version of Windows : Skip ahead to the next Windows release.

Version 1709 Os Buld. 16299.15

• If you choose "just send me early updates" you should see an option to select "Release Preview" and some text that says you're just getting fixes, apps, drivers, etc. Feel free to send a screenshot if you can't get to that state.

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

Mattz,

The insider builds tend to come at different times for different people. What is the last version you want us to stop at? I have an updated queued now and am not sure whether to pull it down or not.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Hi @james_ashley ,
    The final Windows 10 version for MR Portal Insider release is 16299.19 This is the Fall Creators update.
    For some countries, without language pack updates, will be 16299.15

If you leave yourself in FAST you will have received Evaluation version Build 17017 yesterday 14th October 2017. Licensing allows 10 copies of Windows 10 Insider Builds across all devices.

My way round this has always been to use another partition to hold later versions.

My PC has an extra drive, 256GB Solid State drive, installed so a fresh copy of Windows 10 can be selected from the new Multi-Version Boot screen activated when a second copy of Windows 10 is installed.
    Create an installation Device - 8GB USB

The way to clear an Windows update queue with 17017 is to switch from Windows Insider FAST to the Release state.

You need to know what your doing next
    If you are not sure don't do it.

Open Windows File Explorer in This PC -> Local disk C: ->
    C:\Windows Look for SoftwareDistribution and rename to "SoftwareDistribution OLD".

This has now removed the Windows Update 17017 from queue.

Now Control Alt Delete and use the power button in bottom right to Restart your PC. Anything else will cause another update to load and install!

When the PC has restarted login to an Administrative account
    Settings -> Update and Security -> Troubleshoot ->Select Windows Update
    -> Run the Troubleshooter.

When finished check that any new updates start with 16299.15 or 16299.19, NOT 17071.*

Now you are once again ready to receive update for 16299 only

For further in depth reading see Windows Insider flight and driver notes

• Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a PC for the Acer headset that hasn't yet received any Insider updates that I need to use from 8am BST tomorrow.

What's my best route?

I've tried a few methods but I keep hitting catch 22 situations - I can't see the Insider settings as I've not yet installed an Insider update, and obviously if I do update I'll be a version too far. Obviously the timing is pretty bad but I'm using the headset for an event that I can't move.

• MattZMattZ admin
    edited October 2017

@Opposable_Dan The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update officially hits tomorrow and that's what you want to be on. At this point, it's probably too risky to join an Insider ring to get those bits as I think they've already moved on to RS4 builds, and those won't be the most stable for Windows Mixed Reality development. I'd recommend you install 16299 (Fall Creators Update) tomorrow, either through Windows Update or using the official bits that'll be on Microsoft's website.

EDIT: should be live here as of Oct 17 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• edited October 2017

Dammit. I’ve already been updated to 17017. How long before I’m stable again?

Edit: never mind. I was able to roll it back.

edited October 2017

@VertoStudio3D said:
    Dammit. I’ve already been updated to 17017. How long before I’m stable again?

Edit: never mind. I was able to roll it back.

Good you will have 30 days to rollback. Please Remember to set your settings to "Release" ASAP as Windows Update will reload 17017 again!!

• Thanks for your help @Jimbohalo10. Good reminder that if you accidentally take a newer build, you can select "Stop Insider Preview builds" and you'll get the option to "Roll me back to the last Windows release." Though now that the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update ISO is available, you can just manually install what you want.

edited October 2017

@MattZ Just read Troubleshooting Windows Mixed Reality. This says remove updates above 16299.15 i.e 16299.19
    The advice has now changed in this document!!!

• @Jimbohalo10 I just checked that page and can't find any reference to 16299 at all. Can you still find that tip? I'm wondering if it was added and removed quickly and you just happened to catch it.

• @MattZ said:
    @Jimbohalo10 I just checked that page and can't find any reference to 16299 at all. Can you still find that tip? I'm wondering if it was added and removed quickly and you just happened to catch it.

Yes that's what happened. Less than 6 hours and this changed. SO DELETED the text from my post. There was a pointer to this page elsewhere and that changed.

So amended my post, as could not be deleted
    Thanks Jimbo

• @Jimbohalo10 thanks for keeping on top of that. I'm asking the team if we can find a way to keep a record of previous recommendations that have been removed just so attentive users like yourself don't feel crazy seeing something and then seeing it disappear. Definitely keep an eye on that page though, as troubleshooting tips change early and often as we learn more and fix more :smile:

• Hi @MattZ, I think I may have this issue currently.

Does anyone know how to downgrade to previous version builds of Windows? I deleted my local build copies for restoration to cleanup harddrive space and am having difficulties downloading the software to set up the Acer headset.

I am on:

And need either 16299.15 or 16299.19 as per this thread.
    Cheers

• @Jason
    The tool to use is the Media Installer - MediaCreationTool.exe
    The way to Create Windows 10 installation media is using and 8GB USB stick and boot from the generated USB.
    This will load the 16299 Windows 10 Fall Update 2017 onto your PC.

My favoured way is to have multiple boot partitions one having as described above and one being loaded with the latest FAST Windows Insider, so that WMR can be tested and kept on track with Windows Feedback

• @Jimbohalo10 Many thanks for the info, will give it a shot tonight! Cheers.

• @Jimbohalo10 Your solution worked great and preserved all my application installs on the other build version of Windows that I have installed. I can use the Mixed Reality portal as the software was able to download. Thanks.

• Hey guys I am still having this issue on a fresh install of win 10. It installed fine earlier on a different and very slow HD now on SSD and it will not install at all

• @Prusanoff The best way to get help with Windows install issues is to go through Windows support at support.microsoft.com or on Twitter.

• @Prusanoff said:
    Hey guys I am still having this issue on a fresh install of win 10. It installed fine earlier on a different and very slow HD now on SSD and it will not install at all

Hi,
    You need to do an initial TRIM with the SSD disk manufactures partition software.
    Then install from USB. Delete the partition, make a new partition and reformat the drive under Windows 10. Select the newly formatted area and install Windows 10 on this. The multi boot menu is installed which includes your SSD device and select the SSD to be the default boot device.