Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

DictationRecognizer completed unsuccessfully: UnknownError.

Trying to get the DictationRecognizer to work, but keep getting this error.

Anyone else use this successfully?

Stephen Hodgson
Microsoft HoloLens Agency Readiness Program
Virtual Solutions Developer at Saab
HoloToolkit-Unity Moderator

Answers

• stepan_stulovstepan_stulov ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Assuming we're talking about Unity do you have all the Capabilities enabled in the Build Settings? Namely Microphone?

Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• edited February 2017

of course.

I also ensured that "Get to know me" is enabled on the devices privacy settings.

Stephen Hodgson

• Building the future of holographic navigation. We're hiring.

• edited February 2017

I did the usual checks. Everything is configured correctly, but still getting this error.

I wrote this class a long time ago, and I know it used to work.

Stephen Hodgson

• If it worked and now suddenly doesn't without anything else being changed my only suspect is the HoloLens update that's somehow incompatible with your current Unity version? Just speculating here, really.

• edited February 2017

That's why I asked if anyone else was experiencing this problem, to try and work that hypothesis out.

Stephen Hodgson

edited February 2017

A vote down for a suggestion?

• edited February 2017

You had suggested the same solution it after I told you I had tried it.

Stephen Hodgson

edited February 2017

Microphone and InternetClient are not the same Capabilities. You did not tell us you which specific Capabilities you tried, you told us "of course". To my opinion InternetClient is a rather unobvious capability required for the dictation and one could easily overlook it being unaware of how the feature works. I must admit you may have had it in your head, but you didn't express it and no one can read thoughts that I know of. I didn't give up and continued trying to be helpful. You down-voted my intention. I request you kindly to remove your down-vote now that my explanation cleared the air. Thank you.

• Hey guys, there's a lot of negativity here. Especially for someone trying to be helpful. Please everyone be respectful. @stepan_stulov I up voted your recent response and I appreciate you trying to help. If I could remove all the rejected answers I would but unfortunately I don't see a widget to do that.

@stephenhodgson it sounds like this script you are using has been around for a long time. I'm not having any issues on the current bits from the toolkit, but DictationRecognizer isn't part of the toolkit. It actually ships with Unity. I'm using Unity 5.5.1f1 and I haven't upgraded. Have you tried rolling back to a previous Unity build?

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• P.S. you probably already know this @stephenhodgson, but in Visual Studio make sure you've got "Just My Code" turned off and that you're doing Mixed Mode debugging (both Managed and C++). Admittedly it's a long shot, but maybe you can catch an exception message from Unity's unmanaged code this way.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• utekaiutekai ✭✭✭

If it's possible for you, I'd recommend to use the Windows APIs directly rather than trying to use the Unity implementation. You might not have this route available due to other considerations. However, the Windows APIs are nicely done and rather easy to use once you get a good code pattern in place for what you need to accomplish.

I use a dictation recognizer in a hololens app and it works fine and continues to work nicely with hololens software updates. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.media.speechrecognition .

I bypassed entirely the Unity implementation of dictation recognizer, as it wasn't well presented to the developer via the API and wasn't performant enough for my needs as it seems to do intermediate buffering and inserts delays that add up.

Also, my app does need the Internet Client capability, and removing that capability causes failure in recognition. So it it required and fails with an error of 'sorry, but we can't access the internet right now' when that capability is not there. However, if network access isn't available, but you have the capability, it will still work. I couldn't find this in the documentation, it was a trial/error exercise in determining the need.

• edited February 2017

My apologies, I was by no means intentionally trying to be negative nor disrespectful. I just wanted to clarify that I had already tried the traditional approaches to solving the problem, which I why I reached out here.

I'm trying to use the Dictation Recognizer but keep getting an completed unsuccessfully unknown error.

I've ensured all capabilities and settings are correct.
    Microphone, InternetClient, and device privacy settings are all configured appropriately.

Still getting this error.

Stephen Hodgson

• edited February 2017

@utekai said:
    If it's possible for you, I'd recommend to use the Windows APIs directly rather than trying to use the Unity implementation. You might not have this route available due to other considerations. However, the Windows APIs are nicely done and rather easy to use once you get a good code pattern in place for what you need to accomplish.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that approach. Using the WSA libraries doesn't allow this method to work in the Editor, seems there's a bug in the Editor libraries for this at the moment. I've already reached out to Unity to fix the problem.

Stephen Hodgson

• edited February 2017

@jbienzms said:
    P.S. you probably already know this @stephenhodgson, but in Visual Studio make sure you've got "Just My Code" turned off and that you're doing Mixed Mode debugging (both Managed and C++). Admittedly it's a long shot, but maybe you can catch an exception message from Unity's unmanaged code this way.

Yeah I tried that but didn't get anything useful from Unity's unmanaged code.

Stephen Hodgson

• I think I was really just interested to know if anyone else was having this issue so I could confirm it with Unity.

Thanks for everyones responses.

Stephen Hodgson

• Hi, Have a look at my Hololens tutorial on how to use dictation using the latest MR Toolkit (2017). https://codeholo.com/2018/03/17/dictationexamplehololens/