Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How could I use Mixed Reality in a classroom?

My name is Nancy and I am a tutor and special educator.
I would like to use Holographic Reality as a basic mean of teaching in the classroom. Which would be the process, the training and the cost? Could this be applicable?

Answers

• Options

My opinion is that the hololens could be very useful ... however ...

There is a warning about seizures ... in my testing with 'special' users ... seizures came into play. Also the need to calibrate and pronounce clearly (voice driven app). Or be able to gaze and hold and do gestures appropriately. Calibration required too ... on the hololens anyway.

The calibration is especially annoying even to people who aren't special, just average slobs. I've sat and watched this play out again and again, though eventually most people can get through it ... and those that can't usually aren't able to close one eye at a time ... and some pull off the headset as if it's causing severe pain, but then recover nicely once it's off. But that seems to be more the type person who isn't ready to deal with their own inability to listen.

------------- assuming you get past seizures and calibration -------------
    Which programs are you interested in? What type training?

Reading? Writing? Rithmatics? Or freeing up teacher time?

Assuming you want a stand in teacher to teach, and that would be the benefit ... see the program Fragments ... which would be interesting to learn how much it cost to develop ... I'm guessing 7 figures.

Training? Well, that depends upon the program you use ... but there are various demos shown about how a service technician with little training can fix or diagnose complex equipment by getting specific info in the moment to help complete the task.

Cost? Too much at this point. Unless you have unlimited budget. If so, you wouldn't be posting here, right. You'd just ask microsoft directly.

For new programs, Microsoft's way uses Unity3D which means expensive development cycle. There are other faster and much cheaper ways ... but this isn't Microsoft's way.

As for hardware ... wow, costs too much to equip a classroom at this point. At least in my area, which is planet earth.

Now there are mixed reality headsets that are much cheaper than hololens ... but go check out vive and oculus ... they seem serious about those platforms ... while Microsoft is a dabbler and cares not much about individual developers, and I'm commenting on my own experience, with 20 years on the microsoft technology stack ... and as far as I can tell, microsoft wishes I would go away ... cause I offer my opinions and well, don't spend billions with microsoft to get their attention.

Ode to the underappreciated hololens ... perhaps it's not the hardware that is weak, but microsoft's support of individual developers who tried to make a go of it ... you know, those who might actually create groundbreaking apps ... only to be kicked aside my microsoft ... because you know, they're individual developers and not important to big corporations ... you know, idiots like me, not important to microsoft ... only important enough to be kicked to the side and silenced.