Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

AVX workaround?

One more user here on the list of people with a powerful CPU that apparently doesn't include "AVX" -- there must be some way to run these functions without it, if at a bit of a performance hit? When will an update be available to allow all these CPUs?

Don't link me to the list of preassembled PCs to buy -- the rest of my computer is well above the spec, I'm not throwing all those parts in the trash because I only need a new CPU. If you're going to say you're never going to add support for doing that math without AVX, is there not at least a guide to choosing a new CPU that will support it? (Ideally including what motherboards they'll run on?)

Comments

• Ditto. I guess my hexa-core CPU isn't going to be good enough even though system specs were supposed to be lower than with Oculus or Vive (both of which work fine on the same system). Ridiculous! I can't believe that Microsoft has become worse at supporting hardware on its own platform than other companies.

I was really excited about Windows Mixed Reality but if I can't find an AVX workaround soon I'm going to have to return my Lenovo Explorer and go back to one of the other brands. :(

• I was an early adopter of the Core i7 line as well, though the system I built then was not quite at the level of the ones you folks built (IIRC, mine is a Core i7-920). I did a little searching online and discovered this information (much sourced at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors):

The AVX instruction set has been present on every Core i7 since the "Sandy Bridge" generation (even including the mobile processors). Given that you're running hex-core processors, that would place you in the 970/980/990 "Gulftown" processors.

The AVX instructions have been present for almost 7 years now. I personally don't feel that is too soon to be a required feature for cutting-edge new technology to rely upon.

It's also unfortunate that the motherboards for your systems use the LGA1366 sockets and none of the later processors use that socket. Intel moved various components onto the CPU that had been on external chips, and that made your LGA1366 and my LGA1156 sockets obsolete.

The good news is that pretty much any modern motherboard and Core i7 will have the AVX instruction set. I've not built a new system in 8-9 years, so I can't suggest specifics. I'm now running a Surface Book 2 for WMR.

(While I work for Microsoft, I do not work in the same division as the ones creating these systems and have no inside knowledge in this area. These are my opinions and I do not speak for Microsoft.)

• What is with the Intel® Software-Development-Emulator? Is this a Otion?
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-emulator#Installation

• "The AVX instructions have been present for almost 7 years now. I personally don't feel that is too soon to be a required feature for cutting-edge new technology to rely upon."

The Vive and the Rift are also cutting edge technologies. I have 24gbs of Ram, a 980ti, and a Core i7 processor that runs at almost 3ghz base clock.

This should be fixed or a Steam VR or Occulus VR compatibility mode should be made available without having to go into the Cliff House, or don't false advertise as needing an "i5 processor or better" as it is purposefully misleading.

Change it to, "i5 processor with AVX support or NEWER" as better and newer are two different things.

Really dropped the ball on this one.

• Same here. Just bought a Samsung Odyssey WMR. Cant believe Microsoft wont fix this. Returning this Samsung Odyssey HMD and buying a Rift tomorrow :(

• I just check this forum for a month hoping that a patch would be delivered.

I'm very disapointed that my 2x xeon 5660 won't run WMR. Don't tell us it's about performance.

Will a patch be released or never?

While I work for Microsoft, I do not work in the same division as the ones creating these systems and have no inside knowledge in this area. These are my opinions and I do not speak for Microsoft.)

Coud a inside tech or a community manager gives us a cleat answer.

• Have you tried the registry edit to bypass the hardware check? If you have tried it or do try it could you post your experience i.e does the headset work or crash and what cpu/gpu you're using.

• Open the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic\FirstRun
    • Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value (either via Edit or context menu) and give it a name of AllowFailedSystemChecks.

• Double-click that value and set its data to 1.
      Restart Mixed Reality Portal and click Next on the hardware check screen you were previously stuck at.

• Just tried the registry edit on my x5675 build, it shows me an error code: "We're not sure what's up, but this error code should help: 2181038087-11.". I looked up the code, and it's because the cpu doesn't support the avx instruction set for the motion controllers.

• I have both an 12 Core Xeon and a Core i7 870 with two GTX1080 in it. It wont work because of performance issues - are you fracking kidding me microsoft?!