Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Surface Book 2/Surface Laptop + Samsung MR Headset

Im frustrated! Have recently purchased the top notch configurations of both the Surface Laptop and Surface Book 2 (15') to do Mixed Reality development, was a bit surprised that the Surface Laptop didn't fully quality for the Mixed Reality hardware requirements. But the Surface Book 2 claimed complete qualification. But when the Samsung headset gets connected and setup, there's no image in the headset displays but audio seems fine. The Surface screens flickers constantly when Mixed Reality app is running. Had to use USB-C to HDMI or MicroDisplayPort to get hardware hooked up.

The headset is working just fine, since I managed to get it working when connected to a stationary dual GTX1060 machine, but that's not the intended machine for this purpose.

If the display converters might be the issue, please advise on which to buy since I don't want to buy more devices. Would love to buy the Microsoft converter, however that doesn't ship in Sweden apparently.

Please advise!

/Johan Lindfors

Answers

• Options

Surface Book 2 and Surface Laptop support Windows Mixed Reality when equipped with an Intel Core i5 CPU (or better) and at least 8GB of RAM.

Requirements:

• Surface products require driver updates to be compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. These drivers can be installed on your Surface by going to Settings > Update and Security > Check for Updates.
    • Surface products require an adapter from the video port (Mini DisplayPort or USB-C, depending on the Surface PC) to HDMI 2.0 for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. The most recent version of the Surface Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI AV Adapter is compatible with HDMI 2.0 (the older version is not). Similarly, the Surface USB-C to HDMI Adapter is also compatible with HDMI 2.0.

Specifically, Surface Book 2 requires Surface USB-C to HDMI Adapter (other adapters may work, but are untested).

Note: The use of Surface Dock with Surface Book 2 is not officially supported with Windows Mixed Reality, due to Surface Dock’s power supply limitations.

Configurations with only the Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated GPU achieve Windows Mixed Reality (60Hz) experience
    Configurations with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and 1060 discrete GPU achieve Windows Mixed Reality (90Hz) experience

Surface Laptop (Intel 7th generation Core i5/i7 with 8GB of RAM or more) requires Windows 10 Pro (Windows Mixed Reality is incompatible with Windows 10 S)
    and a Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (other adapters may work, but are untested).

Besides Performance Slider needs set to “Best Performance” during usage and can
    achieve Windows Mixed Reality (60Hz) experience.