Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Mixed Reality Portal fails to install, no error message shown

I understand that Windows Mixed Reality is automatically downloaded and installed when you first plug in a Mixed Reality headset into you computer. When I plug in my headset, nothing seems to happen.

I'm trying to use the Samsung Odyssey and the Acer headset. Neither trigger the WMR install to start. I've tested using multiple USB ports. The USB & HDMI ports that I normally use are proven to work with the HTC Vive.

Windows Update says I'm on the latest version. I've confirmed that I'm on the Fall Creators Update.

My laptop specs:
Windows 10 Enterprise N Version 1709 OS Build 16299.371
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Driver Version 391.35

When I run "Windows Mixed Reality PC Check", below is the output, everything is OK:
Ok Operating system Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later Ok Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ok Graphics driver 23.21.13.9135 (WDDM 2.3) Ok CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz Ok RAM 32 GB Ok Disk space 20 GB Ok USB 3.0+ Ok Bluetooth 4.0+

I followed the instructions for uninstalling Windows Mixed Reality, but I don't have any of the registry entries or the Windows Holographic components, so I wasn't able to follow most of the steps. We signed into the other users on this PC to check their registry keys (this is a company machine, so multiple people have used it), but they didn't differ.

The Samsung headset automatically installed "Samsung HMD Odyssey Setup" app, which confirms that the Odyssey is plugged in and has the most up-to-date firmware. When I plugged in the Acer, I saw the usual Windows prompts in the bottom right corner saying the Acer was going through additional setup and then another prompt saying it was complete (it's the typical driver install stuff, nothing fancy).

With the Odyssey plugged in, when I go to Device Manager, I see this:

When I right-click on "HoloLens Sensors" and select "Update Driver" > "Search automatically". It fails with the following message:

Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks for the help. I hope I don't have to do a factory reset on this machine or something drastic like that.

Best Answer

• Options
    JayZuoJayZuo mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @livio,

I've noticed that you are running Windows 10 Enterprise N Version on your laptop. Please note that N-editions of Windows 10 do not support Windows Mixed Reality, and you'll need to install a non-N version of Windows 10.

For more information on Windows 10 N, please visit this page.

Answers

• Options
    JayZuoJayZuo mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @livio,

I've noticed that you are running Windows 10 Enterprise N Version on your laptop. Please note that N-editions of Windows 10 do not support Windows Mixed Reality, and you'll need to install a non-N version of Windows 10.

For more information on Windows 10 N, please visit this page.

• Options

Thanks! Good to know.