Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Headset not connected (even though it is...)

The headset is plugged into a 3.0 USB port on the back of my computer. The HDMI cable is plugged into my graphics card. The Windows Mixed Reality portal randomly started and told me the headset is working, I got excited and play the little tutorial mini game with the gems, then suddenly it got disconnected and no matter what I do I can't fix it. It was working before, I've done the setup multiple times, but the headset just randomly stops. Is there some requirement for the headset to count as connected?

The USB is snug in the slot, I've tried wiggling it slightly.
I've read the troubleshooting guide.
I can't find any help online.

There are 2 3.0 ports on my PC on the back and 2 in the front, but of course the cable for the HDMI and the USB are too short to reach the GPU while the USB is in the front. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this work?

Comments

• Options

Have you check your USB driver? HMDs work best with USB controllers running the Microsoft USB driver stack.

You can try uninstall your PC's current USB driver, and then reinstall a Microsoft driver:

1. Open Device Manager and expand the category for Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    2. look at the devices listed, and uninstall any incompatible drivers.
      • If the list includes an “eXtensible Host Controller” item that does not have “Microsoft” at the end of the device name, that driver is not compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. You’ll need to uninstall it.
      • To uninstall a driver, right-click the device in the list and select Uninstall device. Select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, then select Uninstall.
    3. Restart your PC.
    4. Return to Device Manager and locate the eXtensible Host Controller item again. If you now see “Microsoft” at the end of the device name, you’re good to go. If not, repeat the uninstall steps to remove any additional non-Microsoft versions of the driver.

Also, you may refer to this section in Troubleshooting Guide to update/install the latest driver for your headset.

• Options
    blew888blew888
    edited May 2018

I am having the same problem. The Mixed Reality Portal says I am good to go, but says connect your headset, even though my HMD is connected and I can see the desktop from it. I have followed the same instructions on incompatible drivers, still doesn't work.

The HDMI is connected to an Nvidia 1080 and also tried a Vega 64 and USB 3.0 to HDMI 4k dongle, both have the same problem.

USB is connected to onboard USB 3.0.

• Options

fixed this by going into Mixed Reality Portal -> See more -> Settings -> Headset display -> Experience options -> Change -> [set to highest refresh rate]

I don't know why this worked but it did for me so try it at least. ¯_(ツ)_/¯