Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Announcing the HoloLens RS5 Preview

Hi everyone,

We’re excited to announce the first HoloLens RS5 flight available for Insiders, build 17686. As with other Insider flights, this is pre-release software, and you may encounter bugs and other issues along the way. For this reason, Preview builds are made for people who know their way around HoloLens and don’t mind frequent updates with significant changes. If you wish to revert to the previous stable version of the OS, you will need to reset the device with WDRT.

You can get started with RS5 flights from a device that has already been updated to RS4. Then opt in from Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Insider Program -> Get started, and linking the account you used to register as a Windows Insider. Then, select Active development of Windows, choose whether you’d like to receive Fast or Slow builds, and review the program terms. Select Confirm -> Restart Now to restart the device to prepare to install Preview builds. Once you’re device has rebooted, you can manually seek the latest preview from Settings -> Update & Security -> Check for updates.

This also means that if you were previously taking RS4 flights and don't want to continue taking RS5 flights, you should opt out from Settings or install the April 2018 update.

Build 17686 includes support for using post-provisioning after initial setup from Settings and support for assigned access with AAD groups support. It also includes an updated flow for ending mixed reality video capture from the Start menu.

As with previous flights, please use the Feedback Hub to log any bugs that you have. We’ll also use this forum to answer questions and monitor for problems that you have with the HoloLens RS5 Preview, and our support team and engineers will try to help you out!

-Todd

Comments

• Dark mode is on by default after a reset and I have to say it looks great

• Hi @Iandixon, this is a bug in the pre-release software that the default is set to dark mode after a clean install. Although certain apps support switching to dark mode within their app on HoloLens, there is no way to configure it across the system, as you noticed. We're working on resolving the bug for a future flight. Thanks for raising this issue and the feedback on using dark mode.

-Todd

• Please don't fix it, Dark mode is awesome. Will submit feedback via the hub tomorrow

• Thank you for announce. I also love dark mode! Please keep it! I have some feedback and questions.
    1. Gesture often isn't recognized.
    2. Windows logo on start is jitting.
    3. Are there any changes of API ?
    It seems that stability of behavior is getting worse from RS4.

• The main problem I have had so far is Microsoft Edge crashes and then can't recover. A reboot doesn't fix it and the only thing I can get to work is to do a device reset. It would be great if there was a way to reset an app like you can in Windows 10 on a PC

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

@Todd I noticed that I can't bloom after attempting to start a video recording or take a picture. Still happens even after I restart the HoloLens. I'll submit something to the feedback hub. In the mean time, if you have any workarounds or suggestions, let me know.

• @Todd The gaze functionality when used with a Bluetooth mouse appears broken. Seems to randomly switch between gaze and mouse input (appears more frequent if you quickly gaze left or right). Also (and most importantly) the mouse input will recenter to wherever the gaze is when you click the mouse button, making accurate clicking nearly impossible unless your head is absolutely still.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

Actiongram appears to be broken in RS5, even after uninstalling and re-installing. Anyone else experience this issue? Also the 3D icons for actiongram is gone for RS4 and RS5, which makes me sad.

• Windows 10 build 17720 (10.0.17720.1000) is great update!

1. Mixed Reality Viewer
      You can use Mixed Reality Viewer like desktop. It is not 3D app. It behave like Holograms.

2. Connect
      The new icon Connect appear next to Video of start menu. From this icon, you can cast your HoloLens view to target PC or monitor like MRC without device portal.

1. Bloom
      It's my favorite. Apps show menu and don't return to start directly when you bloom. You can reduce accidents of closing your app. The menu includes Home, Volume, Camera and Time.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

@ShinyaTachihara Awesome - I had no idea about the bloom! I'm downloading the latest update now

• @mr0ng And also a few things in the settings are changed and Edge icon is chaged to icon with Beta like latest update of Desktop. There are no release note yet. I couldn't find all of changes, so it is great helpful if you share your discovery with us.

• Could you guys also provide emulator images with the new OS build? It'd make development easier when I don't have hardware at hand.

• After the RS4 and RS5 updates ,most of apps (Microsoft Store, Edge, Photos..etc) opening windows size defaults to larger than the FOV. This was not the case in previous builds. (Is this because they are optimized for FOV of the next version of HoloLens?)

• @Todd question about RS5 Build Updates. I have version 134 on my Hololens and am trying to get one of the more recent ones. I just signed up for Microsoft Insider and am trying to update but it says that I'm up-to-date. Any clue how long it takes for the builds to become available? Or are there any faster ways to install these builds? Thanks!