Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Visual Studio Error

I have been able to successfully build Hololens applications. However I have installed all the tools and am attempting to now build them on a different machine. I have followed the same steps as originally but now when attempting to deploy to the emulator I am getting the following error message:

Activation of the Windows Store app 'DestinyViz_sx6pycx103f58!App' failed with error 'Windows was unable to communicate with the target application. This usually indicates that the target application's process aborted. More information may be available in the Debug pane of the Output window (Debug->Windows->Output)'.
The program '[2904] Destiny Visualization.exe' has exited with code -1073741189 (0xc000027b).

My emulator starts up fine, it is currently running. I am deploying the app using "release" "x86" and "hololens emulator" as my settings.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I have seen this happen how I have corrected it. If you reset the hololens and restart vs build deploy
    It might fail again just try to debug again

Also are you deploying in release or debug. I have only had this issue with debug builds

Thanks

Calzaretta
  • Options

I am deploying in release. I will try your suggestion.

• Options

Trying the steps you suggested did not resolve my issue.

• Options

What is different between the two machines? Is there less free disk space or memory available on the second machine?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

The first machine is my personal laptop, the second machine is a desktop in the lab I work in. It has more memory and more free disk space than my laptop.

• Options

When attempting to deploy directly to the hololens I get a similar error:

"Unable to activate Windows Store app 'DestinyViz_sx6pycx103f58!App', The activation request failed with error "Could not find or load a type".

• Options
    edited April 2016

@Tyro I have been able to successfully build Hololens applications. However I have installed all the tools and am attempting to now build them on a different machine. I have followed the same steps as originally but now when attempting to deploy to the emulator I am getting the following error message:

Does it deploy correct from the first machine?

• Options

Are they both running the same version of Windows?

Is it possible that you haven't installed the Unity UWP runtime (it's step 2)?

Also, can you double check that Visual Studio has the Universal Windows App Development Tools installed.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• Options

oh.... something else to try, set debugging to 'mixed (Managed and Native)' and then start with debugging. Maybe an exception is being thrown that will highlight the issue.

===

• Options
    TyroTyro
    edited April 2016

Yep it works when deploying on the first machine, for both the emulator and deploying to the hololens.

I do have all the appropriate files for visual studio installed. Both machines are running windows 10.

I installed the new unity version on the second machine which resulted in 1000's of errors and have since reverted back to the earlier version. I'm starting to think this may somehow be the cause as the newer version of unity also came with a new UWP file to install. When I build the scene out from unity I'm using Windows Store, Windows 10SDK, D3D and Developer and C# options. With the appropriate boxes checked in the build settings for Holographic SDK

• Options

Is your hololens in developer mode?
    Hololens home screen --> Settings --> Updates --> For Developers

Can you validate that the software needed is installed..
    Even if it is I would try to reinstall all the tools again. depending on if i was having other visual studio issues i might run a repair on visual studio, and maybe try to reinstall update 2.

• Options
    TyroTyro
    edited April 2016

Yes the hololens is in developer mode and developer mode is also enabled on both machines.

Enabling that debugging option that @Patrick recommended has been very helpful as it has given me much more detailed output. It seems that there are a lot of files in the windows\system32 folder that cannot be found or accessed. I'm not sure exactly what to do to solve those issues but it's definitely more information than I had before.

Stuff like in the attached

I also want to say thanks for all the help and your patience, I am not a computer science person, I'm simply a student who works in a lab and has been allowed to work with the hololens because of my previous work in Unity and Computer Animation (I'm an animation major).

• Options

I guess I'll try reinstalling everything from scratch. I will report back when I am done to state whether or not that fixed the problems.