Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

The Mixed Reality Capture result does not look correct

Hi
I want to render a hologram inside a real object. But the Mixed Reality Capture result shows the hologram looks like out of the real object. Please see the attached image in which the real object is a lampshade.

Thanks.

YL

Best Answers

• Options
    YixunYixun ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your good suggestion.
    I will do it.

BTW, do you know why the red hologram looks out of the lampshade (or as you said
    seems to be on the top of the lampshade)? Actually I put the red hologram inside the lampshade, but have no idea why it looks out of the lampshade. HoloLens uses additive light such as: darkFactor*real light + virtual light, which is similar with transparent rendering, but why cannot give me a feeling that the hologram is inside the real object?

Thank you.

• Options
    pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓

I think this is because the waveguides are closer to your eyes than the source of the real objects' light reflections. It may just be physically impossible to achieve anything else. Plus HoloLens does not have a good focus rendering that could make this look more realistic. It doesn't seem to be that easy to trick the human brain.

The alternative would be to have the lampshade occlude your hologram. This could be achieved by implementing spatial mapping with an occlusion material on the spatial mapping mesh.

Regards
    @pstueven

Answers

• Options

Hi @Yixun ,
    As I think the hologram (the red thing) is pretty well in place on the 2D plane, I assume that you are talking about the depth? I think the problem is that the hologram seems to be on top of the lampshade. You could try to put a line shape of the lampshade as a hologram, too. This could convey the impression that the red hologram is inside of the lampshade.

Regards
    @pstueven

• Options
    YixunYixun ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your good suggestion.
    I will do it.

BTW, do you know why the red hologram looks out of the lampshade (or as you said
    seems to be on the top of the lampshade)? Actually I put the red hologram inside the lampshade, but have no idea why it looks out of the lampshade. HoloLens uses additive light such as: darkFactor*real light + virtual light, which is similar with transparent rendering, but why cannot give me a feeling that the hologram is inside the real object?

Thank you.

• Options
    pstuevenpstueven ✭✭
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓

I think this is because the waveguides are closer to your eyes than the source of the real objects' light reflections. It may just be physically impossible to achieve anything else. Plus HoloLens does not have a good focus rendering that could make this look more realistic. It doesn't seem to be that easy to trick the human brain.

The alternative would be to have the lampshade occlude your hologram. This could be achieved by implementing spatial mapping with an occlusion material on the spatial mapping mesh.

Regards
    @pstueven

• Options

Thank you so much for your suggestion.