Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Getting a USB Device not found when plugging my Acer into my Surface Book

2»

Answers

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Hi @andymoz
    I have gone in Windows Feedback and selected Mixed Reality Category then put "Surface" in the Search area. Then I have somewhat cheated by upvoted all the entries whether Acer or HP headset where mentioned.

Originally in Windows Feedback we upvoted when we felt an entry important.

So its up to you whether or not you get the votes trending, Top Votes

There are a lot of Surface problems reported and wonder if these are being addressed as well.

IMHO this does NOT give me an incentive to consider the new Surface 2 as if they cannot fix the original which had a bad start and left problems, how does this inspire confidence in the newly designed device only two years old.

Should maybe the title be "Getting a USB Device not found when plugging ANY Windows Mixed Reality Headset in my Surface book"

This puts the problem squarely in Surface Book Microsoft hardware support, maybe they just don't regard us as real customers

• Was hoping for a miracle yesterday as there was a new firmware bundle for all surface devices released (even surface book).... 16299_1705000 for surface book at the Microsoft site.
    .... but alas. No.

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Well @Jesse_McCulloch and @andymoz the real miracle would be to release the source code onto somewhere like GitHub, very unlikely >:):'(.
    Therefore if you load the Windows Developer kit
    you get a great tool called (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\USBview.exe) USBview.exe. HowTo.

This shows the USB root layout and more important identifies the problems on the right when you have a problem with devices not identified correctly.

Then you could share a screen dump of the failing.

This is my working USB 3.0 hub with my Xbox One Kinect 2

This will NOT fix the problem but, when you delete the "FailedEnumeration" port in Device Manager you can try again and see if the error is constant.

Maybe this will provide someone with the information to fix this as they are unlikely to release the source as "not fit for public consumption" was the "old" HP phrase, and they could not get it past the lawyers!!

Would be nice if someone posted a working version of a Windows Mixed Reality Headset USB dump. When my HP Headset is arrives and working then probably will post screen dump.

• I think you have cracked it.......No USB errors and a Mixed Reality Device showing UP!!!

Couldn't just delete the device and re-scan, but needed to remove and re-insert.
    You are a star.

• Just to confirm - with this usb filter entry removed the next issue I had was it seemed to not like me having two pluggable minidp to hdmi adapters plugged in - might be that one of them was driving a 4K uhd display and it couldn’t handle it or something( will investigate it later). Removed one and it worked.
    Also now running it directly from an un-docked surface book with usb and display port adapter directly into the base..... on an original surface book without the performance base. All good.

Now I can’t get my hands on it! ..... pesky kids.
  • It works now for me too :#:):):)

• Well... It works... But it is not a nice experience ... I think I have to upgrade to a 1050... So :) when will MS starts selling Surface Book bases?

• Haven’t been able to test anything more than the Microsoft house at the moment - kids are taking it in turns just to walk around this ( which doesn’t seem to tax the system and works well enough ).... guessing games are going to stretch it though.

- take your base into the local Microsoft store and just ‘see if the performance base fits it’ then forget to take it off again :-)
  • There are no Microsoft Stores in Germany... Sadly... Would be hanging there most of the time... :D
    I was in New York and I am not lying... I was there everyday.

• @andymoz I edited my registry and my surface book recognizes the device! :) So...is anyone having this problem? The headset is recognized, it lets me configure my controllers, then the screen just flashes over and over like its trying to switch screens and nothing inside the headset. When I disable the Intel Video Card in the device manager it doesn't recognize it as apparently the Nvidia card doesn't allow a 2nd device to display. Everything is tied to the Intel video card?

• andymozandymoz
    edited October 2017
    The pluggable brand ones work - have two of them. They are about 20quid on amazon and on the supported list. They are active and support the full 4K UHD output and sound etc. I use one to drive a Samsung 4K tv and the headset.... and actually after the 1709 update today they both work at the same time.
  • With the registry edit suggested before I got my Acer MR headset correctly recognized but I have the screen flashes issue. I am using a Surface Book with Windows 10 build 16299.19 and Surface Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (which is officially supported). Any idea about how to solve this?

Thanks,

Giorgio

• Do a windows update, the latest drivers should download and install. Also I had an HP MR, it required downloading and installing the latest firmware for the device. the firmware was updated from the MR Portal, and the driver from standard windows update.

hth

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP My Surface Book (btw, the original one with GTX940-equivalent GPU) is updated with all the latest drivers. I tried two other miniDP-to-HDMI adapters without success, display keep flashing when Acer MR is connected. I also tried to force dGPU or iGPU (avoiding "Automatic" GPU selection) but still no success. I was hoping it would work after the successful registry edit but unfortunately the Surface Book seems to be incompatible.

• edited October 2017

@gcifani my surface book (original one with GTX940) works. Initially my screen flashed, however you have to let all the updated drivers download. I also had to install a new firmware on the HP MR (done automatically through portal) and then once that was done there was one last windows update:
    ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6
    026774/uploads/editor/du/iq7xwwr0k3bf.png "")

Now my SB works with the HP MR device. Not the best experience in the world but enough for development, placement, initial tests etc, It's not good enough for Demos to showcase capability in my opinion.

Also I'm not on any insider on the SB, Windows 10 Pro and 16299.19 as well.

Dwight Goins
    CAO & Founder| Independent Architect | Trainer and Consultant | Sr. Enterprise Architect
    MVP | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer
    http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• I finally got it to work on my Surface Book (Nvidia 940M) after changing the registry and getting that supported mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Cable Matters. Performance is not good, but I managed to improve it a bit by choosing Low quality for MR Display in MR Portal and setting my primary display (Surface Book's screen) to lowest resolution possible (800x600) to take some heat of my poor GPU. Good enough for development.

• @Dwight_Goins_EE_MVP I have the very same driver installed (Microsoft Holographic 10.0.16299.1012), no luck. @jakovd thanks, it seems is not worth any extra effort the resulting experience...

• Guys - when you say it’s working on the surface book but the quality is not good - what do you mean? ...... I don’t have anything to compare it to as it’s the only device I use at the moment, but the quality and smoothness on my i7 with Nvidia base using things like the holo tour and any of the 360 video playback apps, also navigating the Microsoft house etc all seem perfectly fine to me..... what am I missing ? Is it specifically games that have bad quality? Or are my in-experienced eyes easily pleased? What happens with low quality - does it pixelate? Go slow?
  • @andymoz - I have the Surface Book Performance Base and compared to my desktop which is also currently running on 60Hz the Surface Book has the following problems:
    1) It lags too often - Turning my head around too fast for example may often results in the view not following my head movement
    2) I can see a minor flickering
    3) the graphics are not clear - more blurry if further away
    4) The textures in the cliffhouse are not great... Its blurry and the details are mostly gone.
    5) I cannot use the desktop without lag
    6) playing a game in the VR Desktop will give you headaches
    7) Simple SteamVR programs like Universe Sandbox is a lag-fest
    8) WebVR works but the textures are blurry even if it is set to HD.

• This worked on my SurfacePro 4 i7 for my HP HMD. Performance is not great as expected, but just being able to use immersive VR on an ultrabook from 2015 is pretty freaking cool :) Thank you!

FYI - I am using this adapter: Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter Supporting Eyefinity Technology & 4K Resolution

• Just to let people know - this setting gets put back if you install the surface dock 'firmware updater'. So, if you update your firmware on the dock (there was an update on the surface dock recently), then you'll have to remove the lower filter entry again.

• Uh...I am currently using Samsung Odyssey HMD, changing the registry is actually not working, and the Microsoft official MR page have been update and says the SB is not able to use MR after I bought the device... They actually says SB performance is able to use MR before. I will never trust them anymore :'(

• @andymoz said:
    I think you have cracked it.......No USB errors and a Mixed Reality Device showing UP!!!

Couldn't just delete the device and re-scan, but needed to remove and re-insert.
    You are a star.

What do you delete? I'm just a student right now so I've never dealt with this stuff before.

• @DocStrange said:

This worked on my SurfacePro 4 i7 for my HP HMD. Performance is not great as expected, but just being able to use immersive VR on an ultrabook from 2015 is pretty freaking cool :) Thank you!

FYI - I am using this adapter: Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter Supporting Eyefinity Technology & 4K Resolution

Could you help explain that work around?

• I figured it out. you run 'regedit' and then go here

and then delete what is says inside 'lowerfilters', I think the data inside was "surfacekwupdate" or something.
    Now everything works nicely.