Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Sharing Service

I would like to understand the limitations of sharing service of HoloLens
1. Can we use beyond LAN? I mean over internet?
2. Can we have more than one instance of app sharing in multiple places? I mean i have an app developed to teach, i would like to use it by two different groups same time

Best Answer

Answers

1. Yes you can share over the internet
    2. When you are sharing everyone is running the app on their own device, you are simply sharing the interactions of your holograms out to everyone to create the shared experience
  • @jbienzms :smile:
    what do you mean with "sharing server Microsoft provides with the HoloLens" ?
    Did you mean "sharingservice.exe" ?

• Yes, I believe that's correct. The same one used in Holograms 240.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• @jbienzms - Thanks for the update ; can you please share me any article which is talking about rooms as i am new to this

@Sirena609 - do you have any recommendations of the server, internet speed any such to share over internet

Also i am not sure how we can configure the sharing service as part similar to other services in a server.

• @sudhakar82 If you haven't yet I highly recommend going through the Holograms 240 lab linked above. In chapter 3, the Sharing prefab that you drag into your scene includes a script called JoinOrCreateSession (or something like that). That script joins an existing session if there is one in progress or creates a new one if not. You can see how to create new onese there.

Our Holographic world is here

RoadToHolo.com      WikiHolo.net      @jbienz
    I work in Developer Experiences at Microsoft. My posts are based on my own experience and don't represent Microsoft or HoloLens.

• @jbienzms Thanks a lot for your response. I will go through the chapters of 240 one more time.

• Hey guys, how can I build the 'sharingservice.exe' so the application can run and connect two hololens without having unity on.

When I try to access sharingservice.exe directly from unity and double click it in the sharing folder to install, etc it just gives me an error and the console quickly shuts down.

The only way I can successfully run my application is opening 'launch sharing service' consolke window directly from the top nav bar of Unity under 'Holotoolkit-Sharing-240'

• @Sirena609 said:
    1. Yes you can share over the internet

Could you explain in detail how to share over the internet, please? thank you