Receiving UDP multicast packets on Hololens

TakouhTakouh
edited November 7 in Questions And Answers

Hi,

Is Hololens able to receive UDP multicast packets by default? Or is there a setting which makes that happen?

I have a Unity application which uses a udp multicast message passing system. The udp multicast message passing system is built into a .NET dll. The dll is linked to the application and it works fine on a desktop.
However when I deploy this application on Hololens, I don't receive any error, but I do not receive any messages. I am wondering if this is because the Hololens drops udp multicast packets or if it is due to the dll not being built against UWP.

I would appreciate any input on this.

Tagged:

Answers

• I think that you can. If I remember right, I used UDP multicasting as the basis of how devices could find each other a network for a shared holograms type solution.

I wrote it up here although I can't promise that it's any good or suitable for any particular purpose nor that it hasn't got a little out of date with respect to current SDK versions.

In my case, I shared some source code which I then compiled both for .NET 3.5 and for the UWP and I ended up building that into a console app, a 2D XAML based app and a 3D Unity based app and sending messages back and forth.

You might want to check your application manifest to ensure that it has the right capabilities - e.g. I suspect "Private Networks" is needed to allow for multicasting around your local network. I noticed that I wrote down that I did this when writing the 2nd post in that series.

I hope that helps and good luck with your code here :smile: