Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Can't get PC to connect to the device

bc3techbc3tech
edited May 2016 in Questions And Answers

What more do I need to do? Have done everything on this page to no avail.

I plug in to USB and can't get to the device portal as shown in the docs.

PC is on slow ring build 14295.1005 - do I have to be something higher, by chance? Have all the holo SDK, Unity, etc installed as well.

I got it connected via wireless (hassle there is HoloLens is on our public network, PC hard-wired to private network).

However, the http://127.0.0.1:10080 address still doesn't work when connected to host PC over USB.
Thoughts?

Best Answer

Answers

• bc3techbc3tech
    edited May 2016
  • the same Problem.... any News?

• Can you check to ensure that you have the 'Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.10586' installed? If not, you can either add it via the Visual Studio 2015 installer or by running the standalone SDK installer.

Thanks!
    David

• yup. mind you I can write UWPs all day, deploy to HoloLens emulator no problem. just can't get to the device when USB connected.

• @bc3tech,
    Do you see 'Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc))' listed and running in Computer Mangement > Services?

Also, when you connect your HoloLens, do you see 'Microsoft HoloLens' in Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Devices?

Thanks!
    David

• bc3techbc3tech
    edited May 2016

@DavidKlineMS
    Yes to both. The IpOverUsbSvc is also running.

I've also restarted both the HoloLens (Cortana, Turn Off) and the host PC to no avail.

• Is your HoloLens connected directly to your PC or through a usb hub? Also, have you tried using a different cable?

Thanks!
    David

• bc3techbc3tech
    edited May 2016

connected directly to back port of the tower.

have not tried different cable; using the one that came with it...

edit:
    just tried. didn't work.

• Let me know if changing the cable helps. I will also check with others on the team to see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks,
    David

• Can you try changing the port that the HoloLens is connected to? If you have one in the front, for example, that will also try a different USB controller.

Thanks,
    David

• In fact, can you upload a snapshot of the contents of Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers?

Thanks!
    David

• One more thing to check is to ensure that the Device Portal setting (in Settings > Update > For developers) is set to On.

Thanks!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    Can you try changing the port that the HoloLens is connected to? If you have one in the front, for example, that will also try a different USB controller.

Thanks,
    David

I've tried front and rear ports to no avail.

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    One more thing to check is to ensure that the Device Portal setting (in Settings > Update > For developers) is set to On.

Thanks!
    David

I have this on as I can deploy apps to the device and debug them but only via Wifi

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    In fact, can you upload a snapshot of the contents of Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers?

Thanks!
    David

• @bc3tech,

Can you try uninstalling Microsoft HoloLens from the device manager, and re-plugging in your device to allow it to enumerate again?

Thanks!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    @bc3tech,

Can you try uninstalling Microsoft HoloLens from the device manager, and re-plugging in your device to allow it to enumerate again?

Thanks!
    David

Ran 'Uninstall' - was prompted to reboot computer. Disconnected HoloLens, rebooted, loaded device manager (HL not showing)
    Plugged HL back in, showed back up in Device Mgr, still no 127.x access to it.

• A couple of more things to try.

• Can you run Windows Update and see if there are any pending updates? If so, please install them.
    • With your HoloLens connected, please run IpOverUsbEnum.exe from the command line (typically installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Phone Tools\CoreCon\11.0\bin") and upload the output.
      This will help the team diagnose what you are seeing.

Also, what browser are you using to connect to your device?

Thanks!
    David

• The issue could be related to the Insider update that you are on. I have tried a later Insider update as well as the November 2015 update (1511) and use Microsoft Edge daily.

When your machine updates to a later Insider release, please try Microsoft Edge again and let us know if the problem persists.

Thanks for all you have done to help with the diagnosis!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    The issue could be related to the Insider update that you are on. I have tried a later Insider update as well as the November 2015 update (1511) and use Microsoft Edge daily.

When your machine updates to a later Insider release, please try Microsoft Edge again and let us know if the problem persists.

Thanks for all you have done to help with the diagnosis!
    David

np. for the record i'm on 14295.1005

• Same issue for us was resolved by switching to different USB port that uses a different bus.

• Draco18sDraco18s
    edited May 2017

Same issue. Cannot connect over wifi (despite being on the same network) and can't connect over USB. I do not have a different USB bus to try, this laptop only has two ports. Windows is full up to date, SDK version is 15063.

Edit:
    Oh geeze, the developer portal wasn't enabled on the device. Developer mode was, but not the portal.

• Hi all,
    I am getting the same issue on windows 10 and 7 (on 7 thow there is not driver installed for Hololens...).
    I can connect with wifi being on the same network but other usb it is impossible. I can't access to 127.0.0.1:10080.
    IpOverUsbSvc is running, VS 2017 is installed with Tools and SDK as needed for Hololens.
    Please advise me telling how you solved this thank you (is there the answer ? It is unclear...).
    Portal is active on the Hololens (can access through wifi).
    I need to be able to connect with USB so please don"t say "stay on wifi" :/

Thank you in advance.

• I'm having this issue as well, but I was able to connect through USB and 127.xx a week or two ago just fine. Was there some update pushed that may have disabled this? Wifi connection works but I can't rely on it when showing a live screen-share for a talk I'm giving soon.

• Any news on this?

• I wanted to add what solved the issue for me. I use Parallels to run Windows on my Macbook. These are the steps I took:

1. Uninstall the hololens from the device manager in windows
    2. restart the IpOverUsbSvc service
    3. In the Parallels preferences - > Hardware -> USB&Bluetooth -> USB Connection Preferences, I deleted the Hololens from my permanent assignments (this seems to have caused the hololens to no longer show up at all when reconnecting it after step 1
    4. Plug the hololens in again, choose to connect it to windows and voila
  • Facing same issue, in task manager -> services -> ipoverusbsvc was stopped, I just started it. now it's working