Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Young Conker

Feedback and bug reporting for Young Conker, available from Windows Store on Microsoft HoloLens.

Comments

• I have a full length mirror. Didn't realize that Conker has no idea what a mirror is and basically thinks my room is twice the size. Hen handled things pretty well but I did not map the area well enough. The indicator did indicate I missing spots but I did not realize I should map what is seen in the mirror so I became frustrated. Perhaps his voice can indicate I need to map what is seen in a mirror?

• Interesting point. But I think that the concept of a mirror is simply not there. The spatial mapping just 'reflects' and basically extends through the mirror.
    In other words, if you can see something in 3D, so can Conker.
  • Feedback: Load times are quite long. I like the way you are directed to "look around" while the system loads things and changes out holograms...

• Hey DaTruAndi - Can you tell me about your playspace? How large is it?

• @Jessica I tried it in different settings. Large meeting room, regular bedroom. Or did you mean to ask the original poster?

• @DaTruAndi - No, I meant to direct my comment to you - I'm interested in the long load times and was thinking maybe a large playspace (so loading a large map of your space) could cause that. Do you notice a difference between the bedroom and meeting room?

• @Jessica: I am not sure, maybe I am just impatient. I will keep watching it and get back to you if I notice anything.

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭

@ADefWebserver said:
    I have a full length mirror. Didn't realize that Conker has no idea what a mirror is and basically thinks my room is twice the size. Hen handled things pretty well but I did not map the area well enough. The indicator did indicate I missing spots but I did not realize I should map what is seen in the mirror so I became frustrated. Perhaps his voice can indicate I need to map what is seen in a mirror?

The documentation states that mirrors will create hole errors and hallucination errors.

It's a problem every app is going to run into.

If anyone can come up with a good way to identify and handle this during mesh processing and add it to the HoloToolkit, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

• @Bryan - Good call. I can't promise anything, but will add it to a list of requests!

• Can this actually be fixed? Visually what you see in a mirror is really there visually. Why should the HoloLens ignore it?
  • BryanBryan ✭✭✭

@ADefWebserver said:
    Can this actually be fixed? Visually what you see in a mirror is really there visually. Why should the HoloLens ignore it?

I don't know how the spatial mapping cameras work, so this may not be possible without user input, but if it can be identified as a mirror, then it can either be treated as a mirror (ex: render holographic "reflections"), or as an opaque plane if preferred.

• edited April 2016

@Bryan said:

@ADefWebserver said:
    Can this actually be fixed? Visually what you see in a mirror is really there visually. Why should the HoloLens ignore it?

I don't know how the spatial mapping cameras work, so this may not be possible without user input, but if it can be identified as a mirror, then it can either be treated as a mirror (ex: render holographic "reflections"), or as an opaque plane if preferred.

It seems as if, to the HoloLens, a mirror is simply a window. I did an experiment and I was able to get a hologram to display outside my window (even on a sunny day). I was able to put a hologram "inside" my mirror.

Yes I got "black spots" but I was able to make most of them go away by looking at the window from several angles (you can't just look at the window or the mirror straight on and have it map completely, I think this may be due to the way light bounces).

Anyway, do we want the HoloLens to consider a window a wall? If not, then it seems we have to also accept the mirrors because to it, they are the same thing.

• BryanBryan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

That's certainly fine for some applications (allows for some fun "magic mirror" scenarios where holograms don't appear in the room, but do in the mirror). I'd also like to be able to identify a mirror as a mirror, and have the spatial mapping logic treat everything seen "through" the mirror in a realistic way. Using your example, the cheerleader(?) would appear on the dumbells inside the room, and the mirror image would show up if you looked into the mirror.

Perhaps it could be detected by comparing spatial anchors, planted in what looks to be a window (or door?) to a flipped spatial anchor placed opposite the mirrored anchor (based on the rectangular window frame edges) to see if they match. Once a mirror image is detected, you could allow your spatial mapping mesh to immediately clone a mirror image of its self inside the mirror, and vice versa. If this can be done, windows and mirrors can both behave the same way in holographic apps as they do in the real world.

• Everyone can find out more about Young Conker here: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/apps/young-conker

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• Conker ran very well for me, question I had was how was the spatial mapping done? as it looks different to the other apps. Ie the mapping was fixed grid sizes, not random polys. I guess this helps in building up the playable area for the game.

• I think that the depth perception is achieved by emitting a scattered set of dots in the infrared spectrum, then using parallax to map the distance of each visible dot from cameras built into the HoloLens headset.

This means that, for the HoloLens and also for us, a mirror looks like an opening into another space with a pane in between. You can shine a normal flashlight into a mirror and it looks like 1) your beam is shining into the room which is "through the lookingglass", and 2) your reflection's flashlight is shining a beam into your room through the plane. The same physics means, by extension, that the HoloLens perceives the reflection of the room to be another room, just as you see the reflection (i.e., perverted -- in the geometric sense).

• qporitqporit
    edited June 2016

MIRRORS...

The HoloLens does not create the mesh just by using visible light cameras. A mirror is not just glass, but also has an opaque backing that reacts with the sensors. It also does not have a human brain, which makes sense of a mirror image. So it should not be expected to create a mesh that looks exactly like a mirror image. So for the HoloLens to understand a mirror, it needs software that understands how the sensors create the data for the mesh, and finds a way to identify (and interpret) a mirror (and mirror image) as opposed to a window or a hole.

It occurs to me that some of the special properties of a mirror were noticed and documented some time ago by Lewis Carroll in "Through The Looking Glass".

Also, a mirror is a way (tho' not perfect) to do a selfie video through the HoloLens, showing yourself interacting with a hologram.

• JeromeJerome ✭✭

first experience, and first problem :)
    the space used is not good, I have 2 big rooms connected, and the game stops in the middle of the second room. like if there is a wall in the middle of nowhere. so at the beginning of the game, the first holograms are appearing in the middle of nowhere and not on a real wall.

• @Jerome said:
    first experience, and first problem :)
    the space used is not good, I have 2 big rooms connected, and the game stops in the middle of the second room. like if there is a wall in the middle of nowhere. so at the beginning of the game, the first holograms are appearing in the middle of nowhere and not on a real wall.

@Jerome,
    Depending how big a room is, the game might create a virtual wall to establish an artificial boundary. I think the max horizontal length or width today is about 7 meters. If you create a new playspace on your 2nd room, you should be able to play there.

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• I have a fairly large living area: L-shaped consisting of a foyer, living room, and dining space. The game space extends about halfway through the dining area. Characters do well around large objects on the ground - though I have to be very thorough during the mapping phase. Good gameplay so far!