Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Where should Documents on HoloLens be stored?

So on HoloLens the Document files for what the user creates go in the App's folder? If they uninstall / reinstall won't that delete the files they create?

Thanks,
Sacha Berwin

Answers

• Options

You can add the Pictures, Music, or Videos library capability and store files there. Then they won't be removed on app uninstall. OneDrive is also an option for most users.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options
    SachaBSachaB
    edited May 2016

Yeah but I'm using the same file format for HoloLens as my Windows & other app. Not a video, picture or music. I need people to be able to edit stuff on a computer and them move it directly to HoloLens and vice versa. Like in the construction planning demo did at Build 2015. Seemed like they hit some button on the computer and it was then in the HoloLens.

• Options
    PatrickPatrick mod
    edited May 2016

OneDrive is probably the easiest option. To be honest I've been avoiding learning the OneDrive API, but it might be time to get past that hurdle. A key to keeping experiences mobile with the user is making their data mobile.

You could save in your format to one of those other folders. I'm going to see what happens when you launch a file picker from a Unity D3D app on HoloLens, since that's the general documents folder is supposed to be accessed.

Please do submit feedback through the feedback app on your HoloLens about the difficulty sharing files between the HoloLens and the PC. You can browse your phone storage over USB, why not the HoloLens?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• Options
    SachaBSachaB
    edited May 2016

Hmmm it would be nice if you could "throw" files to the HoloLens and back to another device so they didn't have to be stored on it.

I don't have a HoloLens :/ I wish can't afford one but I used it at Build 2015 and am developing a few apps for it. So I have to post here ;)

• Options

:) that's fine, I'll submit the feedback from my device. I checked and the file picker / folder picker doesn't work yet on HoloLens.

===

• Options

Yeah didn't work on the emulator either with my app. I don't think HoloLens has file pickers.

• Options

Yeah didn't work on the emulator either with my app. I don't think HoloLens has file pickers.

• Options

Since the last update in lay May, you can use FileOpenPicker on hololens as long as you have OneDrive installed. FolderPicker doesn't work though.