Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Cannot pair HoloLens to PC

What am I missing? I can deploy apps to the emulator without problem. With HoloLens connected to PC by USB and HoloLens IP entered into PC, I never get asked for a pair code. Deployment errors out before I am asked.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

@moontube have you enabled Developer Mode on the HoloLens device?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

I don't think you need to put in the IP when connected via USB. When I deploy via USB, my options in VS are Release, x86, Device.

• Options

What errors are you seeing? I've run across this a few times. Could be on the wrong wifi, could be firewall, could be developer mode. If all of those things check out see if you can connect to the device by entering its IP address into your web browser.

Taqtile

• Options

Again, with the device connected via USB, the wifi, firewall, and IP address are all irrelevant.

• Options

Hi @moontube,
    Can you try deploying with the 'Remote Machine' option instead? Once you've successfully paired your HoloLens to your PC, you should be able to switch back to using 'Device'. It does seem that the pairing step is the blocker.

• Options

@HoloSheep said:
    @moontube have you enabled Developer Mode on the HoloLens device?

Good suggestion, HoloSheep. At first, I was not in Developer Mode. However, I did change to Developer Mode and still errored out at at the same place.

• Options

@Jesse_McCulloch said:
    Again, with the device connected via USB, the wifi, firewall, and IP address are all irrelevant.

If that is the case, that could explain why I am not asked to pair the device, but it seems like I do need to pair the device somehow. Don't I?

• Options

@ahillier said:
    Hi @moontube,
    Can you try deploying with the 'Remote Machine' option instead? Once you've successfully paired your HoloLens to your PC, you should be able to switch back to using 'Device'. It does seem that the pairing step is the blocker.

I did try deploying to Remote Machine. This caused an error too, although when I switched from Universal authentication to None, I did not get the error. However, it appeared that deployment did not occur anyway.

• Options

@moontube said:

@ahillier said:
    Hi @moontube,

I did try deploying to Remote Machine. This caused an error too, although when I switched from Universal authentication to None, I did not get the error. However, it appeared that deployment did not occur anyway.

I tried deploying again to Remote Machine with None authentication. The error list shows no errors but one warning. The warning is:

The field 'Spatial Mapping Manager.fileSurfaceObserver' is never used.

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    edited May 2016

@moontube are you running VS update 2? Update 1 used 'none' for authentication, but that is no longer supported and you need to use 'Universal' with Update 2.

In your HoloLens, open the Settings app and select the 'Update & Security' option. Switch to the 'For developers' section and then verify that 'Developer mode' is set to 'on' and that your 'Paired devices' is 0. If not, select the 'Unpair all' button. Then press the 'Pair' button and try building/deploying from VS again. Enter the pairing number that is displayed on your HoloLens when prompted.

If the above steps do not work, then I suggest rebooting both your PC and HoloLens. If you continue to see errors in VS, please grab a screenshot of your output/error panel so we can see what errors you are hitting.

• Options

@ahillier said:
    @moontube are you running VS update 2? Update 1 used 'none' for authentication, but that is no longer supported and you need to use 'Universal' with Update 2.

In your HoloLens, open the Settings app and select the 'Update & Security' option. Switch to the 'For developers' section and then verify that 'Developer mode' is set to 'on' and that your 'Paired devices' is 0. If not, select the 'Unpair all' button. Then press the 'Pair' button and try building/deploying from VS again. Enter the pairing number that is displayed on your HoloLens when prompted.

If the above steps do not work, then I suggest rebooting both your PC and HoloLens. If you continue to see errors in VS, please grab a screenshot of your output/error panel so we can see what errors you are hitting.

I am running Update 2. I set authentication to Universal. I verified that I am in Developer Mode. I verified that Paired devices is 0. I rebooted both the PC and the HoloLens. The error I received is:

DEP6957 : Failed to connect to device '73.240.190.163' using Universal Authentication. Please verify the correct remote authentication mode is specified in the project debug settings. 0x8007274C: The network event being waited on triggered an error.

• Options

Check the thread "APPs will not deploy to HoloLens. " The following steps seem to have worked:

1 Uninstall W 10 and VS -- any versions that may be on your computer.
    2. Re-install the latest of each.
    3. Make sure you are in developer mode (both in developer mode and on your home computer) but do NOT try to pair your machine.
    4. Make sure you can access the HoloLens via Wifi. Do Not Pair. (Get the IP address from Cortana, then access via edge to get the HoloLens status on your home computer.)
    5. Now either run the unity 100 tutorial or the HoloLens template on VS (if you do not see the UWA and HoloLens templates you may not have the right version of VS).
    6. You should now be asked to pair when you try to debug or start without debugging.
    7. It should now work, hopefully.

Hints

• If you get an error at some point, try the same thing again. Steps sometimes work the second or third try.
    • Be fully charged, then do not use the USB (it falls out and is in the way).
    • If you need to take the HoloLens on and off, lay it down gently without changing its orientation, so it does not turn off or change what it is doing.

GL

• Options

@qporit said:
    Check the thread "APPs will not deploy to HoloLens. " The following steps seem to have worked:

1 Uninstall W 10 and VS -- any versions that may be on your computer.
    2. Re-install the latest of each.
    3. Make sure you are in developer mode (both in developer mode and on your home computer) but do NOT try to pair your machine.
    4. Make sure you can access the HoloLens via Wifi. Do Not Pair. (Get the IP address from Cortana, then access via edge to get the HoloLens status on your home computer.)
    5. Now either run the unity 100 tutorial or the HoloLens template on VS (if you do not see the UWA and HoloLens templates you may not have the right version of VS).
    6. You should now be asked to pair when you try to debug or start without debugging.
    7. It should now work, hopefully.

Hints

• If you get an error at some point, try the same thing again. Steps sometimes work the second or third try.
    • Be fully charged, then do not use the USB (it falls out and is in the way).
    • If you need to take the HoloLens on and off, lay it down gently without changing its orientation, so it does not turn off or change what it is doing.

GL

Thanks, qporit. The PC CANNOT reach the IP address that Cortana gave me. What does that say? What might be causing this. It did not uninstall Windows 10 and VS as those are major and I'm not sure I could get back to where I am, since I don't have media for Windows 10 and I have a very recent copy of VS.

• Options

I do have Internet access from the HoloLens, so it appears the Wi-Fi link is working.

• Options

When I try to follow the instructions at :Windows Device Portal" to pair my HoloLens I get the "The site can't be reached" message and "127.0.0.1 refused to connect."

• Options

Both VS and W10 SDK (not the OS just the SDK) are available online. It is a pain to uninstall/reinstall, but should not be too difficult.

To get the IP address:
    1. Turn the HoloLens off. Wait a bit.
    2. Turn it on.
    3. Do the bloom gesture
    4. Click on Cortana
    5. Say Hey, Cortana, What is my IP address.
    6. Those words should appear on the screen, then Cortana should say, (and it should print) something like Your IP address is NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN (not all need to be 3 digits).

If you ask Cortana differently it may think you are asking for info about what an IP address is and give you some web page with a sample IP address. That is NOT your IP address.

If you have the correct SETTINGS for developer mode on and you still can't connect, there might be some mismatch between the network your computer is on and the network the HoloLens is using. (Check they are both connecting to the same home/business network.)

If the settings are correct and neither direct connection with the cable nor connection by WiFi work, (and you have re-read all the documentation and noone here has more ideas), you should perhaps escalate your query by emailing or calling the MS store HoloLens support contact numbers.

• Options

As far as I know, I have done everything correctly. PC and HoloLens are on the same network. IP address Cortana gives me is the same one the PC cannot connect to. Pairing should not be this hard. Can I pair the devices independent of trying to deploy an app.

• Options
    mavashermavasher ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@moontube said:
    When I try to follow the instructions at :Windows Device Portal" to pair my HoloLens I get the "The site can't be reached" message and "127.0.0.1 refused to connect."

127.0.0.1 is the USB address for the Hololens. That means the computer is trying to connect via USB. In order to pair via WiFi from VS you need to change from "Device" to "Remote Machine" next to the green triangle play button.

I've found the VS bugs out pretty easily. I've also found that starting a new Unity Project from scratch and putting the exact same settings into VS sometimes corrects the issues.

• Options

Possibly related observation: My clicker will not pair with my HoloLens, although Bluetooth is on. It just keeps saying "Searchig for Bluetooth devices.

• Options

@mavasher said:

@moontube said:

127.0.0.1 is the USB address for the Hololens. That means the computer is trying to connect via USB. In order to pair via WiFi from VS you need to change from "Device" to "Remote Machine" next to the green triangle play button.

I've found the VS bugs out pretty easily. I've also found that starting a new Unity Project from scratch and putting the exact same settings into VS sometimes corrects the issues.

Thanks, mavasher, but 127.0.0.1 is not the IP of my HoloLens. It is the IP of my PC. It is the PC that refused the connection, not the HoloLens. My attempts fail both connected by USB and by Wi-Fi, both with Device and Remote Machine selected. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

• Options

The issue is the two devices are not paired. I never get asked for a PIN and so pairing cannot happen.

• Options

Just a thought but when I used Cortana to get my IP she gave me my external public IP not the internal DHCP IP that I believe is needed.

N6MAA10816

• Options

So for me, the one and only time it has asked for the PIN was while deploying via USB. It actually built the whole project then when it came time to deploy to the device, at that point asked for the PIN.

• Options

@CarSunKey said:
    Just a thought but when I used Cortana to get my IP she gave me my external public IP not the internal DHCP IP that I believe is needed.

I believe you are right. She did give me my external IP. But the instructions say to ask Cortana for the IP, so that should be right. How can I find the internal DHCP IP that your speak of?

• Options

@mavasher said:
    So for me, the one and only time it has asked for the PIN was while deploying via USB. It actually built the whole project then when it came time to deploy to the device, at that point asked for the PIN.

Yes. That is when you SHOULD be asked for the PIN. However, that is not happening for me. Something bad happens before the ask. That something is that my PC does not recognize the IP that Cortana gave me.

• Options

I had the same problem: wasn't able to deploy via Wi-Fi. I entered the wrong IP and wasn't able to change it via "Project > Properties > Configuration Properties > Debugging" as described in online documentation.

I finally got it to work. Solution? I had to first connect (pair) via USB. I was then able to deploy via Wi-Fi. To change the IP address of Hololens in Visual Studio, right click project in solution explorer and select Properties/Debug.

• Options

Hi all,
    So just a couple of other points.
    I have a Holo device, and it communicates with the web address portal just fine, and also the Microsoft Hololens app on phone/desktop/etc.

However, after a device reset, (Long story) the device would not connect to the app on any device, however, it would connect to the web interface. I spent hours trying to fix it. In the end it turned out to be the device name. The web interface displayed the expected device name in all scenarios, but the app would just say, "cannot find device. Make sure it is in developer mode and the portal is activated. Which it was!"

I had used underscores and upper/lower case letters. When I renamed the device to not include the underscores, it connected to the app just fine.

• Options

Any problems with connecting HoloLens over USB: http://127.0.0.1:10080/
    Make sure you install Windows 10 SDK
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Without this the connection will be refused.