Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Sharing Scripts

I'm trying to modify the sharing scripts so that I can send Kinect data on a PC to the Hololens, but I am not able to run the Holotoolkit sharing service and run a Unity program on the desktop at the same time. I get an error such as:

Error: SharingService [....\Source\Common\Private\XSocketManagerImpl.cpp (613)]: Failed to create incoming connection on port 20602. Error code: 5

And then Unity is forced to quit. Can someone shed some light on why this might be happening or if I'm approaching the sharing wrong?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Your problem may be similar to this thread

• I tried nash's solution and it didn't seem to help. Would anyone happen to know if I need to start the Unity app on a separate PC to the sharing service? That would be very unfortunate.

• Error code 5 is often access denied. Is it possible that your firewall is blocking the port?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @Patrick said:
    Error code 5 is often access denied. Is it possible that your firewall is blocking the port?

I'm not sure how to check for this but I allowed Unity past the firewall and the error still occurs.

• Did you allow the firewall prompt when launching SharingService.exe?

• are you trying to run more than one instance of the sharing service?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

• I disabled my firewall and did not run more than one instance of the sharing service. I tried running the Sharing Test example and ran into the same problem of not beind able to run the Sharing Service and Unity app at the same time.

• I'm hitting what seems like a new crash doing this as well. I can reproduce your exact message by putting in an incorrect IP address into the sharing prefab. The crash happens even if the correct IP address is entered. It looks like the sharing plugin is throwing an assertion. We'll need to look into this.

===

• @mam @Patrick and I debugged this and we know where the issue is. We are working on determining the right fix. Soon as we know, we will let you know so you can get unblocked by compiling it on your end.

• I'm also getting error code 5, but only on port 20605.

Sharing seems to work fine though.

Stephen Hodgson
    Microsoft HoloLens Agency Readiness Program
    Virtual Solutions Developer at Saab
    HoloToolkit-Unity Moderator

• Was there a fix to this issue? I believe I'm only getting it when launching the sharing service in an admin command prompt, I thought I'd put in all the firewall exceptions but I can't really tell as my HL still can't connect.

• Possible solution: Go to 'windows firewall with advanced security'
    In Inbound and outbound rules, check for Holographic Sharingservice entries and remove them by using action items on the right panel. Once done, restart the sharingservice -local OR using unity, accept the public/private sharing.