Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Interchangeable See-through holographic lenses

Since so many have complained about the lack of FoV for the Hololens, I wonder if the MFST team has any plans on selling larger Interchangeable See-through holographic lenses...

Any one hear anything?

Best Answer

Answers

• @Jarrod1937 have you got your unit yet? Are you happy with it, so far? I'm in Wave 2, but they extended my deadline due to my disability questions.

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Oh yeah, more than happy. Everyone is concerned about the FOV, but while it could be improved, the current FOV is quite acceptable, and your mind adjusts to it after a short time. Now, I barely notice the FOV, aside from times where the hologram is tall (hence my suggestion of keeping the FOV the same width but increasing the height).
    In regards, to your eye issue. I had my grandpa use it, and while it was a bit hard to tell if the difficulties were due to his eyes or his age (86 and can barely use a computer), he seemed to do pretty well still. He has no vision in one eye and no peripheral vision in the other, along with it being hazy. So, aside from missing out on the stereoscopic nature of the display, I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble.

• I'd go for interchangeable lenses (the outer part) to adjust for different lighting conditions. I'd like the tinting to be darker for better performance in brightly lit environments. My hololens needs a pair of cheap sunglasses ;)
  • @Jarrod1937 wow! That's awesome!

My only concern with the device now is how versatile it is to tap into the iPhone app api.
    edited June 2016

@AR123, yep, it seems a lot of thought has already been put into the Hololens even though we're essentially in a beta test. The only thing that may give you issues is the initial calibration step where they try to identify the IPD of your eyes. This is the only step that explicitly targets each individual eye, perhaps this is what they're working on to change before they ship yours out.
    In regards to using it in conjunction with an iPhone, as mentioned in the previous topic, it depends entirely on what you're attempting to do. Unity itself is pretty versatile and allows you to program c# plugins, though UWP gives a bit of trouble with older libraries (wish they would have been better with the backwards compatibility in UWP).

• @Jarrod1937 > @Jarrod1937 said:

@AR123, yep, it seems a lot of thought has already been put into the Hololens even though we're essentially in a beta test. The only thing that may give you issues is the initial calibration step where they try to identify the IPD of your eyes. This is the only step that explicitly targets each individual eye, perhaps this is what they're working on to change before they ship yours out.

So there is a sensor scan the of eye that takes place for an initial setup?

edited June 2016

Not the eyes per se, more so it's a simple setup procedure to try and get what the distance between your eyes are. So, it will show an image in the left eye and have you stick your finger out, same for the right eye, and from there it can glean what the distance between your eyes are for the stereoscopic separation. This can later be adjusted in the developers portal for the device.
    If you're only using a single eye, the IPD (interpupillary distance) is not of any concern and can probably be any arbitrary value. Thus that portion of the setup procedure can be skipped for such users.