Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

New Unity Technical Preview - 5.4b18 HTP

CoreyGoffCoreyGoff admin
edited June 2016 in Questions And Answers

unity3d.com/pages/windows/HoloLens

There's a new build of the Unity Technical Preview for HoloLens. This build from Unity is based on the 5.4 beta 18 build. You can see the release notes at the website above.

NOTE: there is a known issue in this build that impacts managed debugging.

It is recommended that you continue to use B16 HTP until the B20 HTP release is available.

Comments

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

Hi Link above should be Latest Beta information. Regrettably the one above is a link to this page

@CoreyGoff said:

There's a new build of the Unity Technical Preview for HoloLens. This build from Unity is based on the 5.4 beta 18 build. You can see the release notes at the website above. Let us know if you find issues.

Just finished building the same code in beta 18 build code using a new copy uncompressed sitting next my b14.
    The Beta 18 fails with generated code errors in Visual Studio 2015 output window

Initialize engine version: 5.4.0b18-HTP (f72c1bb333cf)

'Planetarium.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\PlanetariumVS.Debug_x86.jimsh\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'Planetarium.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\PlanetariumVS.Debug_x86.jimsh\UnityEngineProxy.dll'.
    ============== Cannot find or open the PDB file.========
    'Planetarium.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\PlanetariumVS.Debug_x86.jimsh\System.Linq.dll'. Symbols loaded.

=========================================
    Shader 'Legacy Shaders/Diffuse': fallback shader 'Legacy Shaders/VertexLit' not found

s_PhysicalDpi > 0.0f

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/MetroUtils.cpp Line: 240)

The program '[2664] Planetarium.exe' has exited with code -2147483645 (0x80000003).

============================================

Tried Beta 14 Vs solution, still works when opened and debug
    I have entered ===== where the failures occur and sections of failure occurs
    Same build methods, same project source, same setting in Player

• PatrickPatrick mod
    edited May 2016

When switching versions of Unity it's best to clean up your project. In general everything aside from the 'assets' folder and the 'projectsettings' folder should be deleted. In particular, the Library, Temp, UWP, , the VS project and VS solution should be deleted before opening the new version of unity.

While you can run two versions of unity side by side, you should not have both versions pointed at the same project in the same folder.

(and we fixed the link, thanks for pointing that out! :) )

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

edited May 2016

Hi @Patrick,
    I created a whole new directory tree, Unzipped into the new c:\ub18* directory, only project and bought it all into Unity 5.4 Beta 18.

Got red and yellow errors

Removing Assets/HoloToolkit/Input/Models/Cursor/cursor_ready.fbm/templates because the asset does not exist
    ImportFBX Warnings:
    Can't import normals, because mesh 'default' doesn't have it.
    Mesh 'default' has no normals. Recalculating normals.

Meshes may not have more than 65534 vertices or triangles at the moment. Mesh 'default' will be split into 2 parts: 'default_MeshPart0', 'default_MeshPart1'.

Don't see these in b14

In Visual Studio debug Output

Module information:
    Built with Compiler Ver '190023026'
    Built from '5.4/platform/winrt/hololens' branch
    Version is '5.4.0b18-HTP (f72c1bb333cf)'
    Debug build
    Application type 'D3D11'
    Used 'UWP'

PlayerConnection initialized from C:/Data/Users/DefaultAccount/AppData/Local/DevelopmentFiles/PlanetariumVS.Debug_x86.jimsh/Data (debug = 0)

PlayerConnection initialized network socket : 0.0.0.0 55094

Multi-casting "[IP] 172.16.80.2 [Port] 55094 [Flags] 2 [Guid] 96127833 [EditorId] 1541925156 [Version] 1048832 [Id] MetroPlayerX86(HoloLens-TUBP2) [Debug] 0" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Direct3D:

Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]

Renderer: Microsoft RemoteFX Graphics Device - WDDM (ID=0x2c1)

Vendor:   Microsoft

VRAM:     639 MB

ViewSwitch Attempt Done : 1

Initialize engine version: 5.4.0b18-HTP (f72c1bb333cf)

Shader 'Legacy Shaders/Diffuse': fallback shader 'Legacy Shaders/VertexLit' not found

s_PhysicalDpi > 0.0f

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/MetroUtils.cpp Line: 240)

The program '[928] Planetarium.exe' has exited with code -2147483645 (0x80000003).
    --------------------------------------------------------:blush:
    Still get erro:wink:

Oh still got b14!!! o:smile:

Update:-
    I have sent a bug report in for this
    (Case 801184) Hangs never gets past wire mesh in build 18 WORKS PROPERLY BUILD 14
    Basically I am asking why the player jams after creating the background wiremesh.
    I have been asked for more information so I have sent the above log and a link/pointer to the tutorial and the code.

Well if anything else happens I will report it here.
    Thanks
    Jim

edited May 2016

New problem occurred, after updating to build 18. All my previously made ModelExplorer and Planetarium models from Unity 5.4 Build 14 (Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b14-HTP (64-bit) would not work in the HoloLens Emulator.
    I have now discovered a new minor update was re-installed, The HoloLens image was not updated.
    I went into Control Panel , and found the image was dated 27-April-2016. This had NOT been updated.

Right click the Microsoft HoloLens Emulator 10.0.11082.10139 and click "Change"
    Select Uninstall

If prompted select All/Everything to uninstall. This will take a while. When complete got to the Install the tools
    In the Checklist select "HoloLens Emulator" and re-install all components.
    When finished you can go back to Visual Studio 2015 and deploy your past built projects from Recent Projects then got into Windows Device Portal Select Apps, Select that app, for example, "ModelExplorer" from the drop down list and click "Start"to run them.

If you want more details on deploy and debug try Tutorial: Debugging with Holograms 211 with update code library

This wont fix problems with build 18, but at least HoloLens Emulator will run your previously built solutions

• I can report an answer that will work for most people, who do not want in depth debugging

When I follow the tutorial build settings are Windows Store Universal 10, UWP build type =D3D, Unity C# Projects ticked
    In Visual Studio Selected Release,x86, HoloLens Emulator. Everything builds fine and works.

build settings are Windows Store, Universal 10, UWP build type =XAML need this for debug keyboard
    Unity C# Projects ticked
    In Visual Studio Selected Release,x86, HoloLens Emulator. Everything builds fine and works.
    So what’s wrong we/Unity both agree, these work

Select Debug build, x86, HoloLens Emulator and step into the code to and it crashes NEVER starts. The Made in Unity
    Logo never appears code violation occurs the process exits.
    There are some complex reasons to do with .dll symbols not available which may be the problems.

With build 18 you MUST have update the emulator as described here. Uninstall as described in post above.
    BEFORE installing unity-technical-preview-5-4b18-htp

Then installation tool updates The emulator allows you to run apps on Windows Holographic in a virtual machine without a HoloLens. Build 10.0.14342 is includes the latest updates to the HoloLens OS. If you have already installed a previous build of the emulator, this build will install side-by-side

Finally install the new version build 18 (two parts). I found it useful to restart my PC as there was a performance lag after installation

Summary
    Release and D3D work fine with build 18 and the new HoloLens Emulator (build 10.0.14342.1018) and will work on the HoloLens device, because Unity have retested using the tutorial 230 Spatial Mapping on the device.

In depth single step breakpoint debug will only affect hardcode users.
    Finally a reminder to download the updated tutorials again if you, have not since before 11-May-2016

• Hi @Jimbohalo10, Just confirmed your steps to make my app work with the latest Unity with the emulator. Set for Release and it launched in the emulator. Thank you for sharing!

Christopher Zenzel

Shaping the Future by Being a Leader in Technology while Living with Autism (ASD). Looking for Opportunities in Magic.

https://chriszenzel.com
    https://linkedin.com/in/chriszenzel

• Looks like beta 20 came out yesterday. Anyone try it yet?

• @pnolen said:
    Looks like beta 20 came out yesterday. Anyone try it yet?

I don't think its a HoloLens version, anyway I am still waiting for a response to fixing Build 18 HTP(HoloLens Version). Standard version is on Build 22 I think

• B20 is the HoloLens version and I have it installed. The "Install the Tools" page is still referencing the B18 release but if you click through to the Unity page it is the B20 release.

• @NCEdElliott said:
    B20 is the HoloLens version and I have it installed. The "Install the Tools" page is still referencing the B18 release but if you click through to the Unity page it is the B20 release.

Thanks just looked if you hover over words "UWP Runtime" it shows metro editor b20-HTP. I will wait a bit to see if Unity report any Problems!

• B22 is actually the current version if anyone is interested.

• Note to moderators...
    The announcement section at the top of the forum is starting to look a little "busy". Perhaps now that this thread is no longer talking about the current HTP release, it could be demoted from the announcements?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• I thought I had earlier today. Guess I just did it for me. :)

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Lol. Me too! I think I found the actual way to do this now :)