Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

No input from emulator

Hi,

When running the Hololens emulator I am unable to pass any input to it. When deploying an app to the emulator everything loads without errors and the app is shown correctly however both the keyboard and human input icons are greyed out and I cannot send any controls to the emulator.

I have tried multiple keyboards/mice/an xbox controller and nothing seems to work. Also worth mentioning that when using the phone emulators I am able to use the mouse.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any suggestions on how I can try getting the input working?

Tagged:

Answers

• @Treeplez are you using the 10.0.11082.1039 version or the newer 10.0.14342.1018 version of the emulator?

I recommend you trying the latest build of the emulator.

I notice that the emulator toolbar buttons are disabled as the emulator initializes, but since your app is already running you must be past the initialization stage.

Any chance an error was thrown in Visual Studio or that a break point has been triggered in the debugger? You might try different values for the solution configuration drop down (debug vs release) and see if you get different results.

Is the device portal window open for the emulator? There are currently a couple of known issues listed for the latest version but nothing describing this condition.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep Thanks for the info. I have tried the new emulator version but still have the same issue. I have also tested on both debug and release and could not see any errors in the output. I am able to open the device portal window for the emulator which has a good status.

• @Treeplez have you seen the same result when running other solutions like one of the completed Academy sessions? Or is this behavior something you see only with this particular solution?

If you see the same results with different solutions and projects that many of us have run in our environments that would narrow it down somewhat and suggest that there might be an issue with your Hyper V configuration since both emulator installs exhibited the same behavior.

Is there anything else unusual or noteworthy about your dev setup?

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep I have seen the same result with all the solutions I have attempted to run, including the default academy sessions.

I can not think of anything unusual about my setup, but I will copy details below. If there is any other information you think might help please let me know.

Computer Details:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB
    Version 10.0.10578 Build 10578
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Precision WorkStation T5500
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5667 @ 3.07GHz, 3059 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Dev. Env. Details:
    Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
    Version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01038
    (Tools(1.3.2) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586) installed)

Hyper-V Manager
    Microsoft Corporation
    Version: 10.0.10578.0

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295
    DirectX Version: 11.1

• Facing similar issue on my machine. Only input I'm able to use is windows key, no other keys or mouse input is working.

• Have there been any fixes for this? Sometimes, when I have not used the emulator for a while, I can run it and be able to use keyboard and mouse input. However, currently, the only key that works is the windows key (bloom gesture). I have updated Visual Studio and am using the most updated version of the emulator, but nothing seems to work. @HoloSheep

• Having the same problem here.

The other "noteworthy" point is that the "Additional Tools" shows "Errors encountered while connecting!" "Waiting to connect"

• ForchEhForchEh
    edited July 2016

I figured out the problem on my end. It was the proxy server.

The moment I disabled the proxy, the "Keyboard" and "Human" input button turned from grey to white, and the "Simulation" window shows what it is supposed to. Everything is working well now....

I recommendation to others having this issue are: Turn off the Windows 10 proxy (Windows-Key and they type proxy) and make sure they are off in IE.

I then added the network subnet under ""Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with" and turned it back on. Everything still worked.

Good luck everyone!

• @ForchEh Thanks a lot, this is the main reason that input events could not be delivered to the emulator.
    I further rmore find out that I don't need to turn off the proxy server, just put
    127.0.0.;192.168.;169.254.;172.16. into the ignore list of the proxy.
    Here only 169.254.* and 172.16.* are relevant to the emulator. By this way you get both Internet and emulator Connection.

• @jonywalker Thank you for this advice! Can you please explain how you can create ignore list of the proxy for Windows 10?

• @Treeplez said:
    Hi,

When running the Hololens emulator I am unable to pass any input to it. When deploying an app to the emulator everything loads without errors and the app is shown correctly however both the keyboard and human input icons are greyed out and I cannot send any controls to the emulator.

I have tried multiple keyboards/mice/an xbox controller and nothing seems to work. Also worth mentioning that when using the phone emulators I am able to use the mouse.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any suggestions on how I can try getting the input working?

Ha> @Treeplez said:

Hi,

ve u Finish it? i still cannot input on my emulator hololens :( cc @ForchEh @jonywalker @HoloSheep

• Heyho,
    this thread is pretty old but the topic is not. Atleast for me :/
    I started watching the ms tutorials a few days ago and hoped that i can use everything propely.
    I cant afford a hololens so i installed the emulator. i started it, got no errors but could click or type or anything else. Also the buttons for key and mouse were grey.
    So i checked so fixes but nothing worked.
    Until now, i have reinstalled the current emulator multiple times, also tested some of the older ones. Checked the hyper v manager, proxy properties and some other stuff i actually cant remember anymore.
    Still have the same issues...

@ForchEh said:
    Having the same problem here.

The other "noteworthy" point is that the "Additional Tools" shows "Errors encountered while connecting!" "Waiting to connect"

Right now this is the only hint i can give you, because this error is the only one i get, after waiting around 1 minute to connect.

I hope some of you have some ideas to resolve this problem.

Greeting Uwe

• Might be a little bit late on this, but got this error whenever tried to launch the emulator from Visual Studio - emulator launched, but the user and keyboard input were disabled and got the error message:

"Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error DEP6100: The following unexpected error occurred during bootstrapping stage 'Connecting to the device '4CE3B45E-0530-04A7-0B7F-F404E7D5D220'.': ObjectDisposedException - Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'XdeServiceClient10_0'. [0x80131622]"

Was finally able to correct it when uninstalled the emulator and the Windows Software Development Kit (for W10), and then reinstalled both but checked the flag 'Send anonymous usage data to Microsoft for the Windows 10 Kits'. Before doing this always got the error and was unable to use the emulator.

I though we were supposed to be able to chose to send or not...