Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Issue with Holograms 212 Course - dictationRecognizer crashes the app

Good evening everyone!

I and a few other developer friends have been going through the HoloAcademy sessions. We're stuck on Holograms 212.

We independently ran into the same situation (so I know I'm not crazy!) I compiled and ran the Completed project as well to verify the issue. I'm guessing we're both overlooking something.

Here's the symptom when using the Completed code:

• I gaze at the Astroman's watch and say "Open Communicator". The communicator opens.
  • I gaze at the start recording button. It lights up to indicate it's active.
  • I air tap on the button.

At this point the app crashes (for both of us, on different devices, deployed from different machines.)

I set a breakpoint in MicrophoneManager at the StartRecording method and stepped through it. It seems to get to dictationRecognizer.Start(), then crash on the next step. VS2015 is asking for Speech.cs.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kind Regards

Sean

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

My app is not crashing, however the dictation recognizer is timing out for me. Dictation is one of the few features that requires a connection to the internet. Double-check that your HoloLens has a working connection to the internet. I'll have our voice guy take a look too, maybe the service is having issues...

• Options

An update... We decided to redo this from scratch. The other developer got hers to work - it's pretty cool... It's not timing out on her at the moment. I'm starting 212 from scratch as well. I probably just missed something small.

• Options

Our tutorials tend to suggest to start without debugging. In the case that you hit a crash, I recommend you start with debugging. You'll get a popup that gives you four options regarding the 'just my code' feature. I recommend you select 'disable just my code' and continue.

If the application crashes without breaking into the debugger, there is one more setting that tends to help. Right click on your project and select properties. Switch to the 'Debug' tab, and change the debugger types from 'managed only' to 'mixed'.

if you do this you'll usually get a call stack (even in a release build) that will provide a major clue as to what is going wrong.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@so7itud3 please let us know if you hit any snags.
    @Kurtis can also help debug any issues.

• Options
    KurtisKurtis mod
    edited July 2016

Looks like the dictation recognizer now depends on the Internet Client capability being checked! I can't see this change called out in the Unity beta release notes, but it must have happened recently. This didn't use to be needed, but makes sense that it is now. I just updated Voice, so please let me know if you still see this with that option checked.

Of course, this doesn't explain the crashes, which I wasn't able to repro myself.

• Options

Okay.... So for giggles I reinstalled everything and started fresh. I downloaded Holograms 212, opened the Completed ModelExplorer folder, built it, and opened it in VS2015.

• I was able to run it on my Hololens.
    • I gazed at the communicator and said "Open Communicator"
    • I gazed at the record button and air-tapped it.
    • I then got the error below in VS2015.

I tried just deploying the app to the Hololens and running it there, but when I follow the above steps the app just crashes.

Any idea what might be happening here?

• Options

Also, I tried running this to the other Hololens we have - same issue.

• Options

Hey Kurtis. I switched to Release and it worked for me as well. Do you know why it's dying in Debug?