Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Open source?

Hello, I was wondering if Microsoft would be willing to open-source the premade hololens experiences. They're often used as examples and likely contain an immense amount of code that would benefit developers and in turn, benefit Microsoft. Though galaxy explorer is nice, it lacks examples of some of the more important things such as pathfinding and application state management.

Comments

• It's definitely something we're considering. What apps are most important to you?

• PlazmazPlazmaz
    edited July 2016

Primarily Roboraid and Skype are what I'm most interested in.

• AlexDAlexD ✭✭✭

I have a feeling Skype won't be open sourced very soon since it's part of a suite of applications developers by other business units.
    As for RoboRaid, while I would definitely love to check out its source code, I doubt I would get much out of it. It's most likely not a Unity solution which means it's not using the HoloToolkit that we know and love but rather an extremely complex and custom solution that would be difficult to replicate in a mainstream project.

If any effort is to be expended, I would much rather see the Tutorials finished (most of them still don't have videos attached) and maybe updated to use the HoloToolkit proper and put on GitHub. Sorry for the small tangent here, don't mean to steal the thread.

• Having access to Roboraid and Fragments would allow us to better understand how to program to Hololens. Please, do it!!!!

• Agreed. It would be amazing to have Fragments source code.

• Being able to see the source of Skype would be extremely helpful

• The cursor implemented for the MS experiences, that tracks depth and indicates finger state with a torus, is easy to overlook but very well implemented. I would love to be able to recreate that in my app for a consistent user experience, not to mention what I'd learn from seeing the code.

• @DanglingNeuron said:
    I think the most important is the spatial mesh detection, smoothing, fixing, plane detection. Young conker and Fragments do it really well. They probably are post processing the mesh in almost realtime to smoothen teh mesh, fill holes, simplify it etc. The raw spatial mesh is overly complex and bad.. with holes.. I tried running a mesh smoother algo on it, it took a whol ebunch of time and still dint do much. The holotoolkit plane finding dll is also not satisfactory.. it does walls and ceiling kinda OK but the floor and especially tables / obstacles are very very bad. I cant proceed with my second hololens app/game becasue of this. It would reallllly help if young conker's spatial mesh processing code is either open source or at least available as a plugin.

This!! I've been searching all over trying to figure out how to implement room meshing like Fragments. It and Young Conker do a great job that should be replicated. Hololens 230 is nice, but the tutorial should go one step further and show how to implement this.

• Of course Fragments should be really made open source, looking forward to get some help regarding spatial mapping capabilities in Fragments specially feature of mesh capturing algorithm and loading meshes from previously saved spaces