Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Order invitations

ChimeraScornChimeraScorn admin
edited April 2016 in Questions And Answers

There are a number of folks who are asking questions about the order invitations.

We are inviting developers to purchase in waves, as soon as devices are available. If you have applied, check for an email from us, indicating the status of your application. If your application is approved, a wave number will be provided within this status email. Each wave will ship over a period of two to three months. Timing may vary. When your wave is being served and your device is ready, we will send an email invitation to order. To secure your device, please order within a week of receiving your invitation to purchase. If you miss this window, you are still approved and can purchase, subject to device availability.

Please keep in mind, each wave will ship over a period of two to three months. Most folks who will be part of Wave 1 have not yet received their invitations to order, so do not panic. :)

If you have received an invitation for the current wave and are worried that you have missed an invitation to order, you can always contact us for status using the form at: https://33581registration.azurewebsites.net/registration.aspx

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for posting this and making it sticky. I gather from your post that the dev units you're shipping now are essentially hand made and as they are being completed the buy links are going out.

• johnHenryjohnHenry
    edited March 2016

The wording of "Each wave will ship over the period of two to three months" is ambiguous to me, and a bit unclear. Is the case that wave 1 will ship for two to three months, and then wave two will also ship for two to three months after the first wave? Or will each wave ship through the same two to three month period.

Example:
    Wave 1 March 30th-June
    Wave 2 June-September
    Wave 3 September-December
    etc.

Thanks,

johnHenry

A hot dog with a pickax beating on my ear drum coming down the Congo line...

• @ChimeraScorn I just sent a message using your link asking for more info on my wave 1 status, but I received this as reply: :/:|

Hi,

We are excited about the possibilities enabled by Microsoft HoloLens and see a wide array of use-cases for all. We believe developers, commercial organizations, designers, creators, and those seeking a whole new way to be entertained will find unique value in Microsoft HoloLens.

If you’re a developer interested in purchasing a HoloLens, you are invited to complete the HoloLens application form. As devices come available, we’ll invite developers off of the application list to purchase. We are looking for a wide spectrum of developers to create diverse apps and experiences and are currently taking applications from Windows Insiders in the United States (including Puerto Rico) or Canada.

Developing holographic apps is as simple as building for the Universal Windows Platform. All holographic apps are Universal Windows apps, and all Universal Windows apps can be made to run on Microsoft HoloLens. With Windows 10 and familiarity with middleware tools like Unity, you can start getting ready to build holographic experiences today.

In addition, we have released documentation and forums specific to HoloLens. Keep checking back as more is available all the time.

We encourage you to Join Now on our website for email communications and follow us on Twitter @HoloLens for the latest news and updates. We can’t wait to see what you’ll create beyond the screen.

Thanks,

Business Desk

There is a way to contact a real person who can provide the requested info?

• The FAQ on the HoloLens website has a phone number for talking to a real person. But if you're calling because you haven't received the order invitation yet, the answer will be to sit tight and wait for the email. The invitations will roll out over 2-3 months for each wave. We're just starting Wave 1, so there's still a lot of time left for you to receive the invitation. Hope that helps.

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

So to clarify, those of us in Wave 1 shouldn't expect to receive a purchase link by March 30th? We might even get a link to purchase sometime in April, for example? I may be alone, but I think the (mis)understanding before was that everyone in Wave 1 would be able to order a device on or before March 30th.

• So, we're developers, pretty good at filtering emails, using things from Outlook filters all the way to PowerShell scripts.

If you would, please give us some sense of what the email will look like and where it will come from, so that we can set up our rules to make sure we don't miss the invitation.

Thanks very much.
    -e

• Our understanding is that Wave 1 devices would be shipping to us by March 30th; we were clearly told Q1, right everyone?

• I think it will be shipped between March 30, and July 1. I think only few people have received the invitation to purchase HoloLens. Moreover, it's possible that the are serving big quantities 50 (Enterprise level) first and than individuals. I hope they can move a little bit quicker.

• I just received an email from Vanessa Arnauld (MS rep), basically stating two things: 1-I have not missed the purchase link. 2-They have planned to release the HL dev kits in a period of 2 ~ 3 months depending on availability. I think that confirms a comment made in other thread speculating MS is building these things by hand, one at a time. It's quite sad, because every single manufacturer of VR stuff ($ony, Oculus, etc) are releasing, or plans to release to the public, their devices in short time, and we, the developers who have planned to invest time (and in many cases, money) on the MS product, we are losing the momentum. I hope MS can push the warp-speed button this week.

• I received a response from Microsoft concerning the Wave 1 email invitations to purchase. The invitations themselves may roll out over a period of two to three months. So don't lose hope! See below for the entire email response that I received.

Hello D****,

Thank you for reaching out – we have not yet sent you the invitation with the instructions on how to access the private online store. Stay tuned, we hope to be able to contact you soon. Please note that these invitations may roll out over a period of two to three months. (oh and it’s independent from your MSDN subscription )

Kind regards,

V****

• while we are all waiting
    Interesting Holographic project to look at !

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikekh/youloox-awesome-holographic-computer

• My purchase link came this morning if anyone cares. I was hoping the delay meant they might surprise me and just hand it to me at Build, but either way things seem to be moving.

• On twitter the @Hololens account said that returning to the application link will show status. I received a Wave 2 confirmation email, but when I go back to https://holotechinfo.com/ it says my application is being processed. Is this the right URL? Mainly wanting to confirm my place in line :)

• It's March 29 and I have been approved for Wave 1. Did I miss my ordering link? Are there other Wave 1 approval who have not received their ordering link yet?

Thanks.

• How do I know who is Wave 1 to order it?

• james_ashleyjames_ashley ✭✭✭✭

@hololens123,

Not many have gone out before the launch. Most people are in the same boat you are for now, so don't feel left out. If you are concerned about having missed an email by accident, you can log back into the sign-up site to see your status -- this is supposed to work. Or use the link from the sticky at the top.

James Ashley
    VS 2017 v5.3.3, Unity 2017.3.0f3, MRTK 2017.1.2, W10 17063
    Microsoft MVP, Freelance HoloLens/MR Developer
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

• Neooen419Neooen419
    edited March 2016

@bernieSF said:
    I just received an email from Vanessa Arnauld (MS rep), basically stating two things: 1-I have not missed the purchase link. 2-They have planned to release the HL dev kits in a period of 2 ~ 3 months depending on availability. I think that confirms a comment made in other thread speculating MS is building these things by hand, one at a time. It's quite sad, because every single manufacturer of VR stuff ($ony, Oculus, etc) are releasing, or plans to release to the public, their devices in short time, and we, the developers who have planned to invest time (and in many cases, money) on the MS product, we are losing the momentum. I hope MS can push the warp-speed button this week.

I totally agree I see the MS hype train falling off a cliff with the 2-3 mo ship windows. Is really going to kill everyone's enthusiasm especially when here in a couple months (Jun/July) you can order a Oculus rift or Vive and have it in a few days.

• I am in Wave 2. My email has a very strict spam filter. Online says my purchase link "...will be sent to your MSA and to your preferred email. " Can anyone tell me what the "MSA" is?

• @BillBurke said:
    I am in Wave 2. My email has a very strict spam filter. Online says my purchase link "...will be sent to your MSA and to your preferred email. " Can anyone tell me what the "MSA" is?

MSA = MicroSoft Account?

• I've been able to order, and actually have FedEx tracking on my two devices. I was Wave 1, and ordered on the 28th. They will arrive on 4/4 by 10:30 am.

• @BradleyFoley said:
    I've been able to order, and actually have FedEx tracking on my two devices. I was Wave 1, and ordered on the 28th. They will arrive on 4/4 by 10:30 am.

did you register as a developer with them . ie pay $19 / $99 on your microsoft account?

• @holovr said:

@BradleyFoley said:
    I've been able to order, and actually have FedEx tracking on my two devices. I was Wave 1, and ordered on the 28th. They will arrive on 4/4 by 10:30 am.

did you register as a developer with them . ie pay $19 / $99 on your microsoft account?

No, i do have a developer account though.

• when will hololens be available in Asia

thx

• edited April 2016

We received our Wave 1 approval email February 29, but we haven't received our purchase invitation yet. Should we be worried?

• Leah LaSalla

CEO / Technical Founder
    Astral AR, LLC

I hacked NASA with a toaster.

• @OpenSorceress said:
    We received our Wave 1 approval email February 29, but we haven't received our purchase invitation yet. Should we be worried?

No, no need to be worried.

• @DaTruAndi said:

@OpenSorceress said:

No, no need to be worried.

Same here. I think u will never get it. It seems they have a different "whitelist" of actual applicants anything else is just and error.

• I know that reselling Hololens is not allowed, but if someone in wave one only wants to get one and he/she agrees to get another for someone in later waves, would that be ok?

• @gorgepir said:
    I know that reselling Hololens is not allowed, but if someone in wave one only wants to get one and he/she agrees to get another for someone in later waves, would that be ok?

I wish they say yes.

• DaTruAndiDaTruAndi ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Pretty sure there is some randomness involved. I know some great and very visible people who are waiting patiently (more or less patiently).
  • I just got the shipping tracking number. Orders are going out :)