Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Holograms 240 Issue: Shared Room Offset in Real World

I'm creating an app using the sharing service from holograms 240. Everything works as it is supposed to: the two users join the room, and both can see the cube that represents the other's head in the proper position around the central hologram (To simplify things I grabbed the remoteheadmanager script from holotoolkit-unity to use instead of the remoteplayermanager. It seems to work fine, the head movement matches perfectly).

However, the room itself is in different locations for both users, at an offset approximately equal to the distance between the two hololenses. This makes the cubes that represent the heads not match up with the actual hololens device in the real world.

From what I understand reading other questions here, the initial hololens sends a world anchor to any connecting hololens. The receiving hololens then attempts to place the world anchor according to what it can see. I'm not sure why the second hololens in my case cannot accurately place the world anchor, given that both hololenses are in the same room.

Am I missing something? Or is this how the tutorial is supposed to work?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• @HoloSheep @Patrick I completed Holograms 240 tutorial with my Hololens and my emulator. I captured the inside of my home (400k triangles) using my Hololens and then loaded it on the emulator. I was able to "walk around" in the emulator and recognize features of my home. One problem: in the Holograms 240 App, the positions and rotations were shared properly only if I start the App from the same position and same orientation in the room on both the Hololens and the emulator. Otherwise, the emulator's avatar would appear somewhere different than where the emulator was supposedly standing in the simulated room when the app was launched. Any ideas why this would happen?
  • For example, in the emulator, I was inside my house when placing the SharedHolograms app. But after the app gets launched, I see through my Hololens that the emulator avatar appearing to float outside my house.
  • However, the room itself is in different locations for both users, at an offset approximately equal to the distance between the two hololenses. This makes the cubes that represent the heads not match up with the actual hololens device in the real world.

Hello, we've had the same problem and updating system to current version solved the problem :)
    My current firmware version: 10.0.14393.0

• I have the same problem although I remap the room carefully for the two devices. Look into the 3D views in portal device, they are similar. My current firmware version: 10.0.14393.0

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank

• I'm having the same problem as described here. The sharing and loading of anchors works, but there is an offset to where that anchor exists.

The strange thing is that the spacial anchors when viewed in the 3D View of each hololens looks accurate and in the correct location in both.

However the head tracking is off by about .5 feet and the placed cube I'm placing into the scene is off by the same amount in one of the hololens.

I'm starting the second hololens experience remotely via the portal while wearing the first one.

Both hololens are up to date as of 4/1/2017

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the offsets it would be much appreciated.

• I run into what I think are similar issues. The spatial anchor appears in roughly the correct spot after a bit of time moving the two devices around. But the orientation is flipped 180 degrees around the y-axis. Careful remapping of the space on the two devices makes no difference, neither does starting the application from the same location & vantage point.

Any of you guys figure this one out?

• One thing that could happen is your main camera could have a transform applied to it. But if that's the issue then starting both instances of the application from the same position would at least produce the same wrong result. However, even a small delta in rotation between the two devices could have a significant impact.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• In case anyone is still having this issue, and none of the suggestions here work, make sure your importexportanchormanager is added to the parent of the anchor hologram/energyhub and not an empty game object.

Importexportanchormanager sends its localPosition and localRotation which need to be the position and rotation of the placed anchor, not an empty game object.