Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Head-locked 2D UWP application

Hello all,

Is it possible to head-lock a 2D UWP window? I am performing medical imaging research and I want to present the captured ultrasound images to my surgeon in a 2D window that follows them around.

I am aware this is against the preferred design policy, but it is something we would like to try out.

Regards,
Adam

Tagged:

Best Answer

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@Adam doing a TagAlong style presentation of the ultrasound images to your surgeon would be fine, it is the tight locking of a visual element to a fixed position in the users view as they move around that would go against the design guidance.

The 2D UWP window placement logic is handled by the Shell and to the best of my knowledge there have not been any API's exposed to us yet to support scenarios like TagAlong or to control the 2D UWP window position programmatically.

You certainly could create a 3D app that would work for the scenario that you describe. One of the teams at the Seattle HoloLens Hackathon event back in May did something similar at the event where the doctor would position the ui at a fixed distance in front of them by toggling it on and off with a voice command. But that was a 3D app.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@Adam doing a TagAlong style presentation of the ultrasound images to your surgeon would be fine, it is the tight locking of a visual element to a fixed position in the users view as they move around that would go against the design guidance.

The 2D UWP window placement logic is handled by the Shell and to the best of my knowledge there have not been any API's exposed to us yet to support scenarios like TagAlong or to control the 2D UWP window position programmatically.

You certainly could create a 3D app that would work for the scenario that you describe. One of the teams at the Seattle HoloLens Hackathon event back in May did something similar at the event where the doctor would position the ui at a fixed distance in front of them by toggling it on and off with a voice command. But that was a 3D app.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Makes sense, thanks.

It wouldn't take too much work to have a view-locked quad and copy incoming image data to texture. I'll try that out.

Baaahhh!

@Patrick it would be nice if the Shell had this ability. Taking the bus to work watching Netflix (wifi via phone) on a 10ft screen would be pretty awesome.

• Is it still the case that there is no way of running a 2D UWP-application in a shell that is head-locked/tags along? I would prefer not to have to create a 3d-application for this if it is at all possible.