Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Windows Holographic May 2016 first flight

edited August 2016 in Questions And Answers

We are pleased to announce that the HoloLens first flight is available for your use. Woot!

Please do read the Release Notes for all the updates.

On your HoloLens:
1. Launch and pin the Settings app.
2. Navigate to Updates -> Check for updates
3. Reboot is required once updates are done.

Enjoy and keep your feedback coming!

Tagged:

Comments

• Woo Hoo!

Great job guys, keep 'em coming!

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Jarrod1937Jarrod1937 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

The new features are looking cool.
    I encountered an error while installing, said some parts are missing or incomplete and to try again later... So I'm trying again immediately after ;) If I still have issues I'll try waiting until tomorrow. The update seems to freeze at 13% download, then all of a sudden skip to 2% installing the update, then fails.

Edit: The last try ended the same way. Since I have it up, the exact error code is: 0x80073712

• @neerajwadhwa is Kiosk mode gone?
    The addition of the File Explorer to the Device Portal was really nice, but was that at the expense of having a Kiosk Mode?

• It is great that the emulator lets you login with an MSA now and to download and run apps from the store.

Is there a way to save state or something so that when you close the emulator and restart it you are not required to go through a new device configuration and login each time?

• Nice to see this update... here is a video with some of the updates features working.

https://youtu.be/tbf4BFV42-Q

• mr0ngmr0ng ✭✭

Fantastic, well done!

Great, looks like others are able to install. I'll give mine a try again later this evening.

I get the same error, 0x80073712 and tells me to try again later. Anyone have any ideas?

• Well... I have a suggestion, but I'm not very fond of it. This error message indicates that something is corrupt in some setup manifest file.

Here's the workaround:
    1. send feedback through the feedback application on the device that you aren't able to update.
    2. This is the part I don't like...you'll have to reset the device.
    3. Go to settings
    4. Go to update and security
    5. Go to reset
    6. reset the device.
    7. Then go through the first setup and check for updates. It'll work this time.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

edited June 2016

@Patrick said:
    Well... I have a suggestion, but I'm not very fond of it. This error message indicates that something is corrupt in some setup manifest file.

Here's the workaround:
    1. send feedback through the feedback application on the device that you aren't able to update.
    2. This is the part I don't like...you'll have to reset the device.
    3. Go to settings
    4. Go to update and security
    5. Go to reset
    6. reset the device.
    7. Then go through the first setup and check for updates. It'll work this time.

No worries, I suspected that myself. Luckily I finished Fragments, so I have no worries with reseting ;)
    I'm doing some development this evening, but I'll reset it before the nights end more than likely.

• Did the update then I lost my microphone and Bluetooth.
    They stopped working entirely.

The clicker was not recognized anymore or anything new as well.
    Unpaired and tried to pair back with the clicker charged but no success.
    When recording video it was not recording sounds. Cortana became useless.

I used the device portal to find is something was wrong and did some live videos (without any sound but the app sounds). Turned off a few process and restarted the device a few time but with no success. I found that I had no tools to diagnose what was going on.

I did a factory reset, lost all the apps I developed and pictures that was not on onedrive, which solved the issues. Microphone and Bluetooth are functional again.

Anyone with similar issues?

markval.com - All around Digital

• edited June 2016

@Jarrod1937 said:
    The new features are looking cool.
    I encountered an error while installing, said some parts are missing or incomplete and to try again later... So I'm trying again immediately after ;) If I still have issues I'll try waiting until tomorrow. The update seems to freeze at 13% download, then all of a sudden skip to 2% installing the update, then fails.

Edit: The last try ended the same way. Since I have it up, the exact error code is: 0x80073712

Hey @Jarrod1937 - Sorry about the inconvenience. Due to a bug (which is fixed in the update) it's possible to get a device into this state by performing a hard shutdown (hold the power button for 10seconds) at just the right time while downloading and preparing the update.

Unfortunately, the only way to get your device back into an updatable state is to recover it with the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Note that this is different from reseting which is triggered from the Settings app.

To recover your HoloLens
    1. Download the Windows Device Recovery Tool on your PC (you may have to reboot)
    2. Connect your HoloLens to your computer using the Micro USB cable that came with your HoloLens
    3. Launch Windows Device Recovery Tool and follow the instructions

More details on recovery can be found here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13452/hololens-restart-reset-or-recover-hololens

After recovering, you should be able to successfully update again, so long as there are no hard shutdowns during the process :)

Again, apologies for the inconvenience. We want to make sure to get you up and running on the latest build, so please let us know how it goes!

edited June 2016

@YasharBahman, Yep, I'm embarrassed to admit it, as I should have known better, but that is what happened. I started the update procedure, got called away and turned off the device... Of course, in general, it's bad practice to turnoff anything during an update. However, glad to know that's prevented in the new update, if I did it, I'm sure a consumer down the road will ;)

After the recovery, which was pretty painless and quick, I was able to install the update. I'm definitely enjoying the new features!
  • @Jarrod1937 that's awesome news! Thank you for reporting back! And I'm glad the recovery steps were easy :)

I have two quick postmortem questions for you that will help us improve the product going forward:
    1. You mentioned that you were called away and therefore turned off the device. Can you elaborate a bit on why you turned it off (as opposed to putting it into standby or letting it remain idle, etc...)?
    2. This particular error should only occur after a hard shutdown (power button pressed for 10 seconds; basically this is like pulling the battery out) as opposed to a soft shutdown (power button press for 5 seconds). What lead up to needing to do a hard shutdown?

edited June 2016

@YasharBahman said:
    @Jarrod1937 that's awesome news! Thank you for reporting back! And I'm glad the recovery steps were easy :)

I have two quick postmortem questions for you that will help us improve the product going forward:
    1. You mentioned that you were called away and therefore turned off the device. Can you elaborate a bit on why you turned it off (as opposed to putting it into standby or letting it remain idle, etc...)?
    2. This particular error should only occur after a hard shutdown (power button pressed for 10 seconds; basically this is like pulling the battery out) as opposed to a soft shutdown (power button press for 5 seconds). What lead up to needing to do a hard shutdown?

1.) Habit I suppose. At work if I get called away I may not be back at my desk for a while, so I felt it best to turn it off.

2.) I simply press the power button until I see a 'Goodbye' and let go. I suppose considering I was distracted I may not have paid too much attention to it. If a hard shutdown is indeed like pulling out the battery, then I would assume the user wouldn't need to do it that often. I would personally think 30 seconds would be best. That is pretty standard and is spaced out enough. A 5 second difference between a good shutdown and a pulling out the battery shutdown isn't much.

Hope that helps!

• @Jarrod1937 Thanks for the feedback! I'll chat with a few other folks internally to see how we can improve these experiences.

• holovrholovr ✭✭

@YasharBahman : i am not able to update. when i got to setting it just says my device is up to date. i tried a reset of the device and got the same result. any ideas?

After playing with the new update, the experience is getting smoother, I'm liking it. If I may, I'd like to suggest a new feature that I think would be pretty cool (I'm sure you guys hear that a lot, haha). Basically your UI allows for placement of the same application in multiple locations, like the Edge browser can be in multiple spaces in my house or office. Say I have Edge active, then I start walking around my house. It would be cool if those inactive locations of the same Edge app simply became a reference to the first. The result, I can walk from my living room to the kitchen, and the edge instance I had open shifts from the living room to the kitchen. This would be pretty slick and shouldn't take too many resources (computationally) to achieve.
  • @Jarrod1937 said:
    After playing with the new update, the experience is getting smoother, I'm liking it. If I may, I'd like to suggest a new feature that I think would be pretty cool (I'm sure you guys hear that a lot, haha). Basically your UI allows for placement of the same application in multiple locations, like the Edge browser can be in multiple spaces in my house or office. Say I have Edge active, then I start walking around my house. It would be cool if those inactive locations of the same Edge app simply became a reference to the first. The result, I can walk from my living room to the kitchen, and the edge instance I had open shifts from the living room to the kitchen. This would be pretty slick and shouldn't take too many resources (computationally) to achieve.

Agree with that.
    I have the same where I would like to have presets for windows XYZ.
    Float with me as I walk in a preset.
    When I enter a room I can gesture my windows to go into the preset of this room.
    When I walk out again it goes back in walking preset.
    Glasses are all about mobility anyway.

markval.com - All around Digital

• @holovr said:
    @YasharBahman : i am not able to update. when i got to setting it just says my device is up to date. i tried a reset of the device and got the same result. any ideas?

Hey @holovr ! We do our best to make sure you don't have to do anything and the device will just stay up to date automatically. So you may already have it! If so, your device would show as up-to-date, even across a Reset. We can check if you got it via the build number.

Open the Settings app -> System -> on the About page, check the "OS build" number in the Software section.

If it's not 10.0.14342.1016 then can you please submit feedback via the Feedback app so we can diagnose further?

Thanks!

• In case you missed it... the Second Flight is now available.
    Windows Holographic 10 (10.0.14393.0) is available for download to your device:

• Will there be an update to the Emulator?

• @runamuck said:
    Will there be an update to the Emulator?

Its already here
    And you can Install the all the HoloLens tools here

This discussion has been closed.