Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

First time deploying an app but can't deploy through usb or remotely - DEP6957

I followed the tutorial to a tee. I created, built and exported a project in unity to visual studio. I set up visual studio to deploy to the hololens, but no matter what I continue to receive the same error.

Through usb:
DEP6957 : Failed to connect to device '127.0.0.1' using Universal Authentication. Please verify the correct remote authentication mode is specified in the project debug settings. 0x8007274D: The network event being waited on triggered an error.

Through remote machine:
DEP6957 : Failed to connect to device '10.7.124.100' using Universal Authentication. Please verify the correct remote authentication mode is specified in the project debug settings. 0x8007274C: The network event being waited on triggered an error.

My OS is Windows 8.1 Enterprise. I installed both unity and visual studio from the install the tools website: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/install_the_tools. Also it's worth mentioning that I have never once been asked for a pin by visual studio.

Please help, this is very annoying.

Tagged:

Answers

• HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    edited August 2016

@SuperPiano have you tried this technique?

Also, have you installed the Visual Studio Updates?
    We are currently at Update 3, plus about three patches.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep yes, I have tried checking the "uninstall and then re-install my package" checkbox, but I still receive the error. Also yes, I am indeed on the latest version of visual studio.

My version of visual studio is: 14.0.25425.01 Update 3.

• @SuperPiano are you able to connect to the device through the Device Portal (on both USB and Wireless)?

• @SuperPiano,
    When you deploy through USB, are you specifying "Remote Machine"? If so, you should be selecting "Device" instead.

Thanks!
    David

• @HoloSheep yes I can connect through the Device Portal through both wireless and usb.

@DavidKlineMS yes I am specifying "Device" when trying to deploy through usb and "Remote Machine" when trying through wireless.

• @SuperPiano,

I would suspect (as you mentioned) that your error when connecting via WiFi is a result of not being paired. Can you confirm that you have the correct IP address and that there are no leading or trailing spaces (I have seen Visual Studio fail to connect if a space sneaks its way into the address box).

Thanks!
    David

• edited August 2016

@DavidKlineMS,

So the IP address of my hololens is located in Settings/Network&Internet/Wi-Fi/AdvancedOptions and it's listed next to IPv4 address correct? Well that address does indeed match the one I entered in visual studio. However the remote connections manager did not automatically detect my hololens, so I manually entered in the IP address which for me is 10.7.124.100.

Edit
    Shouldn't I try and get the usb pairing to work before I try through wireless?

• I think I may have made that sound a little confusing, so let me try and make what I said sound a little more clear. Yes, the IP address I entered matches the one on the hololens. I entered it in the Address box in Remote Connections.

When I tried auto detecting the hololens it could not find it.

• Is there a way to manually pair the hololens to visual studio without having to deploy?

• Rather than try and explain, here is a snapshot of what it looks like when I try and connect.

• @SuperPiano, your post didn't seem confusing at all :)

From your image, everything looks like it is set correctly. Have you tried:

• Double checking that your PC is in developer mode
    • Restarting Visual Studio
    • Restarting your HoloLens
    • Restarting your PC
    • A very simple project (start a new Unity project with just a cube)

Thanks!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS

So, I'm developing on windows 8.1, and I do not see an option for setting this PC to developer mode. Does this mean that my PC is not in developer mode?

Also, the project I'm trying to deploy is just the cube project in unity from the tutorial on microsoft's Academy webpage.

At this point I'm about ready to give up. I just want to start developing apps for the hololens. So I'm gonna try switching to windows 10 to see if my problem persists or not.

• @SuperPiano,

Setting developer mode on Windows 8.1 is not quite as simple as on Windows 10. You should be able to turn it on by building and deploying (to the local machine) a Windows 8.1 Universal Application.

Hope this helps,
    David

• @SuperPiano if you haven't already installed Win 10 over your Win 8.1 the following page might be of some help.

Alternatively it might be of help to others out there still using Win 8.1 for development.

• prlosanaprlosana
    edited August 2016

I'm in the same situation as @SuperPiano. I followed the tutorial from a to z, and after getting the DEP6957 error I followed all the recommendations you gave; and frankly I have no idea what to do next. Does this mean that development for hololens only works on Win 10?

@SuperPiano, does upgrading your OS worked?

• @prlosana,
    Does @HoloSheep's suggestion solve your issue?

Thanks!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS , unfortunately it didn't. @HoloSheep's suggestion renewed my developer's license, but I'm still getting the DEP6957 error. Any other recommendation? I've been stuck with this error for the past 4 days.

Thanks!

• Hi @prlosana,
    We had another user hit this issue and he found a work-around by using the build tools available in HoloToolkit.

Check this thread:
    https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/comment/7249#Comment_7249

• I'm also having this issue as of this morning. Not sure what's changed, as I've previously had no issues.

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    @SuperPiano,
    When you deploy through USB, are you specifying "Remote Machine"? If so, you should be selecting "Device" instead.

Thanks!
    David

David can you clarify, when to use "Device" vs "Remote Machine". Is "Remote Machine" to be used when using the emulator?

• @mcarney,
    Device (USB connection) and Remote Machine (WiFi connection) are both to be used with a HoloLens device. When you install the emulator, you should find a HoloLens Emulator entry in the same drop down list.

Thanks!
    David

• @DavidKlineMS said:
    @mcarney,
    Device (USB connection) and Remote Machine (WiFi connection) are both to be used with a HoloLens device. When you install the emulator, you should find a HoloLens Emulator entry in the same drop down list.

Thanks!
    David

Wonderful thanks!