Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Assets/Content

As an application developer I'm finding the most challenging part of making HoloLens applications so far is finding people who can create content/models that look as good as the ones that are in the Galaxy Explorer project. Do you have any firms that you'd recommend using to create the content? Did Microsoft create all the content in house for the Galaxy Explorer Project?

Thanks --Steve

Answers

• @steve_boyd have you tried the local game and digital media schools in your area?

There are some very talented 3D modelers coming out of some of these institutions.

I also recommend that you connect up and attend a few of the local HoloLens and Unity user groups in your area. They can be a great place to make connections either with such people or with people who know of such people that might be available.

HTH

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• @HoloSheep thanks for the suggestions/recommendation s, but nothing beats a referral. I may have found a really good company, but was curious who MS used for Galaxy Explore. Or if they did it all themselves.

• Thanks @GalacticYeti! Have you used anyone from here for a HoloLens project by chance?

• Hi Steve Boyd - one suggestion, make sure you look for low-poly Artists. Most of these artists work in mobile gaming. Also keep in mind the modelling is only 1/2 the job, getting it looking good in-game will require additional skills - esp on HL. If your not familiar with working with shaders yourself, it would be useful if your artist could assist in that area too.

You can try posting "Looking for freelancers" in the CG community forums. An applicants portfolio is as good of a referral as you can get. The applicants will be higher quality than what you will get from any job site & most companies, and you can also get advice from non-applicant members on how to find the 'right' person. I'd recommend CGSociety. It's big & professional. Much more high-end (film VFX), but lots of active users.

Finally - there is lots for art for sale out there already. It will require some work on your part to make it hololens-friendly, but if you can find what you need on turbosquid it'll be much cheaper than hiring someone to make it again.

• (Note: don't hire someone for $20/hr. You get what you pay for with that).

• Thanks @MrSteveT for your response! Good advice. I think I have a company but was still really curious MS did/does. I'm going to have to assume for now that they just do it all in house.