Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

How large a 'space' can Hololens map?

AshAsh
edited March 2016 in Discussion

Are spaces primarily intended to be for a specific room or would a Hololens be able to remember, for example, a whole flat or corridor with a few offices?
(It would be great to demo a space where a colleague gets up, walks out of the office then sees a hologram out in the corridor indicating to enter a different room.)

[Apologies - meant to ask this in 'Questions' not 'Discussion']

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks. So that means you could walk around a room larger than 3.1 metres and it would map the topography and remember it (by continually scanning a sphere 3.1 metres around you)? The videos appear to show meshes further than 3 metres away (eg around 1:38 in this video )
    I'm wondering what the extense of a single space that the Hololens could remember would be?

• AshAsh
    edited March 2016

Still wondering if anyone has an answer to this - what would be the largest 'space' the hololens could map and store?
    Would simpler spaces (eg bare rooms or with only a few items of simple furniture) allow larger speces to be stored?
    And would there be ways to possibly optimise the spaces (eg does a ceiling need to be identified as hundreds of vertices when 4 would be fine?)

• As far as I can tell you have to process the mesh yourself for smoothing/simplifying, filling holes etc.
    The space size I could not find anything on.. there is probably a hard limit on it or maybe its based on available RAM or Disk size?

Healthcare IT professional by day - Indie GameDev for UWP and mobile platforms by night

• @NeenaK said:

Spatial Mapping mesh will be saved and reloaded from disk, and should be able to support most scenarios for full homes and offices. While there is some dependency on content of space (larger spaces can be stored for areas that are completely empty, vs. very cluttered spaces), overall, the content of the space should not block your scenario.

That's great thanks. Fantastic to hear your whole home (or office) can be storable by the Hololens.

• Are you able to select the density of the mesh to be saved? We're looking at using it in a roughly 50,000 square foot area, the density is not too important.
    I see that here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/spatial_mapping

They talk about density, but it only seems to refer to the rendering, not the storage. I suppose our application can get by without storing all of the data, however, for performance it would be better to cache/store as much as possible I would think.

• What about an arena, or large stadium? Could the entire field be mapped ahead of time and then loaded through an app into individuals HL's? Could holograms be mapped 100' away, 250'?
  • I have had problems on two occasions mapping a large space. The one that happened this morning stopped building the mesh at about 10 meters from the location where I turned the hololens on. Last time this happened, I was able to overcome the limitation by starting in the center of the area instead of near one edge, but I didn't have time to do so with this building. Here's an image from MeshLab of the exported mesh. Note the jagged edges on the right where the mesh just stops.

• Is anyone working on a 3D spatial mapping that includes basic color (e.g. vertex) and automatically simplifies large walls/floor/ceiling?

• The hologram academy course 230 on spatial mapping does find and provide color to floors, walls and ceilings. Ch. 4 has an objective to: Analyze spatial mapping data to find planes and remove triangles.