Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Windows 8.1 deployment ?

I have just been tasked with prototyping on the Hololens , but the main issue is our company is using Windows 8.1 , everything I read says it requires Windows 10. Indeed building my sample projects (galaxyexplorer etc) gives me an error when trying to deploy to device (cannot find device), even running the emulator gives a similar issue.

Deploying over a usb cable does not give me any pairing options and visual studio just says it can't find device at 172.0.0.0

Just wondering is it a win 8.1 issue or am I missing a setting somewhere ?

Answers

• Options
    edited September 2016

I think you answered your own question above.

@Roachie said:

everything I read says it requires Windows 10.

Stephen Hodgson
    Microsoft HoloLens Agency Readiness Program
    Virtual Solutions Developer at Saab
    HoloToolkit-Unity Moderator

• Options

Have a look at the System requirements listed below as per webpage:

System requirements
    The Windows 10 SDK works best on the Windows 10 operating system. This SDK is also supported on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2. Note that not all tools are supported on older operating systems. Visual Studio 2015 also has hardware requirements.

The HoloLens emulator is based on Hyper-V and uses RemoteFx for hardware accelerated graphics. To use the emulator, make sure your PC meets these hardware requirements:

64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education (The Home edition does not support Hyper-V or the HoloLens emulator)
    64-bit CPU
    CPU with 4 cores (or multiple CPU's with a total of 4 cores)
    8 GB of RAM or more
    In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
    Hardware-assisted virtualization
    Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
    Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
    GPU (The emulator might work with an unsupported GPU, but will be significantly slower)
    DirectX 11.0 or later
    WDDM 1.2 driver or later
    If your system meets the above requirements, please ensure that the "Hyper-V" feature has been enabled on your system through Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that "Hyper-V" is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful.

creative mind, free thinker, dreamer, maker, mostly working on games and doodling around with gadgets, Sphered Cazual/Elite/Master of the Universe/Dad/Husband @mariovermeulen

• Options

Windows 8.1 Professional version is needed and then install the Hyper-V feature.
    Then install the products IN SEQUENCE as described in
    install_the_tools