Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Hololens Sharing

Hi All

I have tried the hololens sharing example in the latest holotoolkit-unity , currently both hololenses connects to the server (the server acknowledge that) but in the app they seem they are not on sync , also the box that is sposed to to be attached to the player seems static and i can walk back and see it , this happed with holografic academy example as well (i can see my poly static and can't see any other player )

I am not sure where i went wronge

Cheers
Khaled

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Khaled,

I have used this demo as the basis for shared experiences myself. One thing you learn is that the HoloLens is constantly scanning your environment/room. And when the second HoloLens joins, if it does not have enough spatial detail of the room to align to the spatial map in the first HoloLens, the experiences will be out of sync, and the objects will appear in different places to each user. My recommendation is to have both HoloLenses facing a good spatial landmark for a few minutes before launching. That should help. You could also calibrate the room through the control panel. Avoid looking at large displays or windows.

-Tony

• Also try to update your system on both hololenses - it fixed 240 example for us :)

My current firmware version: 10.0.14393.0

Here is video of what we managed to get :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7LGPQJcVEM

• @Tony said:
    Hi Khaled,

I have used this demo as the basis for shared experiences myself. One thing you learn is that the HoloLens is constantly scanning your environment/room. And when the second HoloLens joins, if it does not have enough spatial detail of the room to align to the spatial map in the first HoloLens, the experiences will be out of sync, and the objects will appear in different places to each user. My recommendation is to have both HoloLenses facing a good spatial landmark for a few minutes before launching. That should help. You could also calibrate the room through the control panel. Avoid looking at large displays or windows.

-Tony

Hi Tony
    Thanks for your reply , I just had time to retest it again , still no luck , we are currently in a large open plan building so that might ber a problem , but later i tested it in a small closed meeting room (i tried deleting all the rooms avaialable and start clean) still no luck , I feel like i am doing a stupid mistake

• edited October 2016

@NeatWare_FUBAR77 said:
    Also try to update your system on both hololenses - it fixed 240 example for us :)

My current firmware version: 10.0.14393.0

Here is video of what we managed to get :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7LGPQJcVEM

Hi Guys , Looks great !!
    i am still trying to set it up , both hololens are updated . currently when it starts i choose tthe users poly and after i see a static poly of the other hololens at the 0,0 and the orb dowsn't apear . I have upladed the finale project without any editing except fpr the ip address , is there any thing else i need to do other than that

• Hi friends
    We have a question about multi player hololens.
    We want to learn can we use 2 or more (if possible 4) hololens at same scene with full interaction excellent way. Thanks in advance your support.

• We've done a shared experience with 6 Hololenses and two world anchors with good results. Careful scanning of the room prior on each of the Hololenses is necessary to get good alignment of the holograms. Once you've done this though, holograms will remain aligned.

• @TimT said:
    We've done a shared experience with 6 Hololenses and two world anchors with good results. Careful scanning of the room prior on each of the Hololenses is necessary to get good alignment of the holograms. Once you've done this though, holograms will remain aligned.

did you get pairing everytime?

• @NeatWare_FUBAR77 said:

@TimT said:
    We've done a shared experience with 6 Hololenses and two world anchors with good results. Careful scanning of the room prior on each of the Hololenses is necessary to get good alignment of the holograms. Once you've done this though, holograms will remain aligned.

did you get pairing everytime?

If you mean getting worldanchors imported and showing in the proper place, we get 90% or better success on first anchor import depending on the room. Some rooms are more difficult than others. Dark surfaces, rooms with not a lot of distinctive features, rooms that are very symmetrical, glass walls, etc. cause problems and you may need to take some measures to help things. For example if you have a super dark/reflective table, put a table cloth on it. Super symmetric, change the symmetry. It does require following some procedures. Like you mentioned, it's important to carefully scan the room with all devices. Make sure you look at all walls from multiple directions, eg. in a conference room, look at a wall from both sides of the table. Additionally, if you've just turned on the devices, you need to wait at least a minute or more to ensure the room data has been loaded before you launch the app. You can verify the room is loaded by air-tapping around the space to see if you can see a proper grid over everything and the grid is aligned to the surfaces in the room.

• Hi all,
    We need to optimize steps for maximum possible preparation and use of up to 12 HoloLenses for Shared Experience.
    Is there Microsoft official How-to/white papers on this somewhere? That has all the aspects including:

• router (e.g. Tri-Band MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router; some models that are tested and known working well, e.g. TP-Link AC5400) and it's optimal configuration for internet/no internet;
    • per-population of all HoloLenses with WiFi settings;
    • room requirements;
    • proper positioning of HoloLenses on the head for convenience and the field of view adjustment;
    • calibration;
    • utility app that would guide participants to scan room efficiently (shortest possible time for enough of scan data to start the session), e.g. the kind of Fragments have with two different colors for scanned/unscanned areas, progress bars for each surface and estimate of the scan completion, only for us it would be models placed in the open space area of the room, so the scan could be less precise as for Fragments;
    • possibility to use only one device for scan and then easy export to the rest;
    • timing/delays of all procedures:
      TimT wrote: "if you've just turned on the devices, you need to wait at least a minute or more to ensure the room data has been loaded before you launch the app." What if you wake it after sleep vs complete shutdown?;
      if presenter's device is started shared session how the rest of devices should be join in? One by one with some delay or all could do it together?

Anything else I forgot to ask that would help with the task?

We would also like to have most-updated Microsoft white papers/samples on how to develop/optimize shared data between all devices and allow fast collaboration assuming 3D models are stored in each app and only world anchor and commands to manipulate models are shared.

Thank you,
    Gennady