Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Spatial Mapping Occlusion Shader is clipping foreground text

I keep running into an issue while trying to work with floating text and spatial mapping.

I have the spatial mapping renderer and spatial mapping collider in my scene. The renderer is set to occlusion with the SpatialMappingOcclusion Material applied. I also have a tagalong debug text object as well as some floating panels with text on them. The debug gameobject is using the standard TextMesh with Font Material applied. The floating panels are using a 3D Text shader in order to allow depth writing and hide the characters when they are behind objects. I have noticed a problem where if the hololens is showing geometry in the scene and that geometry is behind the text. The text appears as if it is hidden behind the geometry shader. Both use cases of the text are affected, even the standard textmesh that usually shows through everything. It appears as if the occlusion shader is stopping the rendering of any and all text that falls onto the pixels affected by the shader. If I have a panel or object in between the text and shader it renders fine. But if it's just floating text it is hidden unless there is empty space behind it. I also did a test where I applied a standard black material to the spatial mesh and that allows the text to render fine as it's not running a shader script. It sort of solved the problem but is less than ideal as it still shows up as a slight grey overlay on every surface. I would imagine that it would also add to the processing load as it is actually rendering the pixels instead of just not rendering them.

Has anyone else run into this issue? It seems to only affect text mesh objects. Any help would be appreciated as this is currently preventing me from having Floating text in my scenes.

Best Answer

Answers

• @spt, the Unity standard assets come with some fonts (in the unity 5.5 beta the standard assets can be installed from the assets menu in unity, the fonts are under 'utilities', in the 5.4 holographic version of Unity you need to get the standard assets from a regular Unity install) There are also some free fonts in the unity asset store.

I agree that it isn't straightforward. Here's a link to the unity Wiki that I refer to when I need to do this.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• @spt, I found the same thing as well. @Patrick thanks, I was using those shaders also which was very helpful. It seems the SpatialMappingOcclusion shader was just blocking any transparent material, switching to the standard Occlusion shader did the trick for me as well.