Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Has anyone been able to successfully use ZXing in their Hololens app?

DaksosDaksos
edited September 2016 in Questions And Answers

I'm building a QR/Bar Code Scanner, which works perfectly in the Unity editor and android,
but seemingly because of .NET incompatibilities, it's proving to be very difficult building to the Hololens. Every time I try it greets me with errors which I think are telling me that BrowsableAttribute (which is in the zxing.unity.dll) cannot be used in the target framework.

I was wondering if anyone had any success with this or something similar.

Answers

• Hey Daksos,
    Have you had any progress on this project?

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

@Daksos said:
    I'm building a QR/Bar Code Scanner, which works perfectly in the Unity editor and android,
    but seemingly because of .NET incompatibilities,

I bought this yes it works after converting to UWP. The ZingQR needed rebuilding in UWP with .Net UWP. Then recompiled and ran the test on HoloLens emulator, read a saved image, great.

Now when I try this new QR UWP dll, there is a coding mismatch. The ZingQR 0.4.1 source is not compatible with the original QR Unity C# code, compile syntax errors. I am lead to believe there is version 3.7 source or thereabouts, but cannot find this to download .

ZingQR licencing does not use Lesser GNU licence unless the Unity asset writer, has special licensing agreement then commercial use is a problem.

The text QR Code itself is a registered trademark and wordmark of Denso Wave Incorporated.[51] In UK, the trademark is registered as E921775, the word "QR Code", with a filing date of 03/09/1998.

We would really need to use the Microsoft Open Source Inc licencing system for commercial use like HoloLens

There is supposed to Vuforia support, but I don't know how its works and the documentation is very poor or non-existent

Then finally there is the HoloLens camera problem namely
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/holographic/locatable_camera_in_unity

To make this work you would have to add code to gaze, then air tap gesture to take a picture, then decode the picture, you cannot access the video stream.

You would need to make the a look-a-like for the unity Webcam code as in QR Code/Barcode Scanner and Generator---Cross Platform
    Which has webcam drivers for Windows 8.1 camera, iOS and Android

Finally I can give help converting to .NET UWP, but cannot test with HoloLens device.

IMHO This is a group Project as there is too much for one person. Crowd Sourced :smiley::wink: The forum is littered with request and failed
    attempts

• Note that UWP has native support for barcode scanning (see also the UWP sample collection on github). I've tried both now, and currently ZXing is failing to work with 1080p HD webcam, where native UWP works great and super fast, but on the other hand on a laptop with a much worse laptop that does not support AutoFocus, the UWP stuff fails completely and ZXing does work. This is all staying within UWP, no Unity frameworks, so that might help.

I have no idea if the Hololens camera supports auto-focus (should be really good with it using the other scanners) but perhaps someone is going to try this for me on Tuesday, so I'll know a little more about which option works.

• You would need to make the a look-a-like for the unity Webcam code as in QR Code/Barcode Scanner and Generator---Cross Platform

Which has webcam drivers for Windows 8.1 camera, iOS and Android

Finally I can give help converting to .NET UWP, but cannot test with HoloLens device.
    >
    I have finally purchased the Unity package QR Code/Barcode Scanner and Generator---Cross Platform working in UWP for Windows Lumina 635 phone running Windows 10 Mobile build 14393.

I have contacted the supplier of the Unity Asset Store App and sent the code. Still awaiting reply.
    The ZXing is now ZXing.unity.dll and come from the official siteZebra Crossing.
    Then converted the code has been converted to support UWP.
    This is now waiting for the latest release of Unity 5.5 beta as this currently only works on 5.4F3 and also to give time for the QR Code/Barcode Scanner and Generator app author to decide if they will support a new version in the Unity Asset store.

The HoloLens Web Cam need to be somehow supported, because as QrCode works with Kinect 2 SDK as web cam there must be a similar easy way with HoloLens?.

• Hey, i am new to hololens development and i'm trying to build a unity app which scans qr codes. I've tried including ZXing in unity but it didnt work. Has someone accomplished useing zxing in unity and is willing to share his experience?

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • hello

@Daksos said:
    but seemingly because of .NET incompatibilities, it's proving to be very difficult building to the Hololens. Every time I try it greets me with errors which I think are telling me that BrowsableAttribute (which is in the zxing.unity.dll) cannot be used in the target framework.

I was wondering if anyone had any success with this or something similar.

Hi
    The Plugins QR Code/Barcode Scanner and Generator have supported Windows Phone/WSA platform,Please Update from assetstore.

• Hello, I have a HoloLens device and I could test your solution on it, if you like.
    Let me know

• HI ,

i managed to implement it for QR and Barcode 13 on hololense using Zxing following Mike's blog
    But after scanning 2-3 time successfully my app crashes and application need to be restared to be used again.

i tried debugging it but could not find any specific line of code which is causing problem.

i have attached crashdum and ZXing wrapper at below URL

Please help me solving this .

thank you
    Dheeraj Kumar