Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Vuforia + Hololens -> Has anyone succeed putting them to work together?

zonazona
edited October 2016 in Discussion

Hi all,

I'm struggling for days with Vuforia and how to track objects with Hololens. The explanation provided on this forum targets only Webcam, but for the Hololens there are still many problems with Vuforia instructions, Vuforia/Unity packages, as well as the App key.

First, following the instructions is quite fine, but it seems that Vuforia team "forgot" to add the Application key for "StonesAndChips" database they have been using in this example. Using your own database within the provided instructions example might cause unnecessary side effects I'm afraid.

Furthermore, if you choose to create your own App/Database and use corresponding Target (marker image) and Application key, that's not working neither inside Vuforia's provided unity example for Hololens (the teapots) nor in your own App (meaning download and import "unity-earlyaccess package" + "your_database package" + using "your_database_app_key").

I followed this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxqfdtxyVA to better understand how Vuforia and Unity work together. It works pretty good even with the Hololens (it is possible to track the marker and place the object on top of it), but instead of Holograms, you can see real-time video of your environment (of course it's different package; still this is the only thing that works for now).

So, any idea what to use, how to solve the problem? Has anyone actually created something that would like to share, in terms of what steps to accomplish or at least some hint to follow?

I saw one post (this forum) on the same issue. When it comes to it, I don't understand what "create apps for android/mobile" means exactly? Vuforia ver. 6 unity extension targets all apps, right? Also, in the same post we were advised to use "earlyaccess" for Hololens aps. So, no mobile/android thing that we can use there.

I'd appreciate any kind of help. The Vuforia forum is a bit slow.

Thanks!

Zona

Best Answer

Answers

• You should add some information about the script configurations that are attached to the Vuforia prefabs (maybe just take a screenshot of them).

• @DanielF said:
    You should add some information about the script configurations that are attached to the Vuforia prefabs (maybe just take a screenshot of them).

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean. Should I include screenshots of the steps I performed and/or scripts taken with all configurations (e.g. the activate database checkbox and similar)?

Thanks a lot!

• @zona said:

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean. Should I include screenshots of the steps I performed and/or scripts taken with all configurations (e.g. the activate database checkbox and similar)?

Thanks a lot!

There's an ARCamera prefab and an ImageTarget prefab and both have scripts attached to them. My suggestion was to take a screenshot of the inspector so that people see which values you've set there. That may help to find the problem.

• zonazona
    edited October 2016

First attempt was using the Vuforia's example Unity scene to work with the Hololens:

I downloaded both packages and import them into Unity. Clearly, I need "StonesAndChips" database access or "App licence key" for this thing to work.

Then I tried to put my own marker inside the proposed Vuforia's scenes. I created my own app, obtained App licence key, created the target and downloaded the Database package:

I placed the marker into the scene next to the teapots and choose the exact image target:

After that I tried all possible combinations: to activate my database only, to keep them both being activated, with "keep AR camera alive" option turned on and off:

Nothing worked!

So, my last try was excluding the proposed Vuforia's scenes and creating my own scene. I imported "vuforia-unity-6-1-9-earlyaccess" and "VuforiaHololensApp" packages (the last one is my own app's package/database). I checked all that has been marked in the picture below. I tried again to turn on than off the "keep AR camera alive" option.

That didn't work as well.

I think I don't need to explain building and deploying steps, since I've created Holograms before. Also, the video example from my initial post is working. But, instead of Holograms, I have real-time video of my environment with both, marker and 3D object on top of it.

Please, let me know if there's something wrong I'm been doing all this time.

Thanks a lot!

Zona

1.jpg 412.3K
    2.jpg 171.1K
    3.jpg 303.7K
    4.jpg 201.1K
    5.jpg 252.8K
  • I use vuforia on mobile with great performance. Cant say the same for hololens. I tried the early access and I think its not ready yet.

• Hi,
    I am having a different problem, but got maybe a little further. One thing I notice in your capture is that you have "central anchor point" in the camera empty. Based on the pdf in the "early..." package, you should have an hololens camera in here instead.
    The document says you should add a standard Unity camera (so you'll end up with two cameras), set it up as a typical hololens camera and then in the ARcamera set that camera as central anchor point.
    Once this is done I could get the objects to show up, but they are actually NOT where they should be from the editor.
    My problem is that the preview inside Unity works fine (tested with Webcam and a moving target in front of it) but once on the Hololens, the objects do not show in the same relative position as in the editor. The feeling is as if they were anchored to another central point rather than the target picture.

• @Stefano75 said:
    Hi,
    I am having a different problem, but got maybe a little further. One thing I notice in your capture is that you have "central anchor point" in the camera empty. Based on the pdf in the "early..." package, you should have an hololens camera in here instead.
    The document says you should add a standard Unity camera (so you'll end up with two cameras), set it up as a typical hololens camera and then in the ARcamera set that camera as central anchor point.
    Once this is done I could get the objects to show up, but they are actually NOT where they should be from the editor.
    My problem is that the preview inside Unity works fine (tested with Webcam and a moving target in front of it) but once on the Hololens, the objects do not show in the same relative position as in the editor. The feeling is as if they were anchored to another central point rather than the target picture.

Thanks for your reply. I will check that immediately.

I have two more questions in the meantime. Have you used Mobile or Eyewear application type? and Have you used VuMark (svg) or your own image Target?

Thanks!

• Also, putting the Hololens camera as the "central anchor point" didn't help as well. I've noticed I'm missing "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb" (not the dll files!). After the Unity splash screen (using Hololens) nothing shows up!

• Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

@zona said:
    Also, putting the Hololens camera as the "central anchor point" didn't help as well. I've noticed I'm missing "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb" (not the dll files!). After the Unity splash screen (using Hololens) nothing shows up!

>
    You don't need the missing "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb". .pdb file are debug files for Visual Studio debugger.
    You need to build with "Release" mode as Vuforia Early release only seems to work with Release at the code is optimised same as the Unity libraries

In fact you need to remove/delete "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb " in Visual Studio
    or the builder wont work.

See thread Vuforia Manual - Working with the Hololens Sample in Unity

• zonazona
    edited October 2016

@Jimbohalo10 said:

@zona said:
    Also, putting the Hololens camera as the "central anchor point" didn't help as well. I've noticed I'm missing "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb" (not the dll files!). After the Unity splash screen (using Hololens) nothing shows up!

>
    You don't need the missing "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb". .pdb file are debug files for Visual Studio debugger.
    You need to build with "Release" mode as Vuforia Early release only seems to work with Release at the code is optimised same as the Unity libraries

In fact you need to remove/delete "Vuforia.pdb" and "VuforiaWrapper.pdb " in Visual Studio
    or the builder wont work.

See thread Vuforia Manual - Working with the Hololens Sample in Unity

Hi, thanks for reply. I checked your example even before. Have you tried to develop something with image tracker or VuMark (svg) only?

The problem with VuMark is that you can't add it as the "Image Target" on the "Image Target Behavior".

Also, I tried both Mobile (as you suggested) and Eyewear APP versions and still not working. Can you share some basic unity scene with image tracker and AR camera that works with all the parameters defined? That way I might spot some missing thing. I believe I tried everything and start thinking this is not doable. Any example would be priceless.

Thanks!