Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Unity 5.5 Hololens Remoting Error

I installed the Unity 5.5 beta, and imported my project, which was working fine on the HTP version of Unity. In Project Settings > Windows Store > Other Settings I have Virtual Reality supported checked, and Windows Holographic is on the devices list.

When I click Window > Holographic Simulation and Remoting I get the the following warning with no other options in the window: "You must enable Virtual Reality support in settings and add Windows Holographic to the devices in order to use simulation or remoting."

Anyone else run into this, or know how to fix it?

Answers

• Options

You need to install Unity HoloLens Technical Preview version of Unity

Hope help you!

• Options

Hololens remoting does not ship with HTP. It has been released in the 5.5 beta version.

• Options

I believe I just answered my own question. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition. A setup guide states that I need Windows 10 Pro with the Anniversary Update. Can someone verify this for me?

• Options

@JeffPack said:
    I believe I just answered my own question. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition. A setup guide states that I need Windows 10 Pro with the Anniversary Update. Can someone verify this for me?

Hi Yes Windows Pro is needed to run the Emulator, but the function you use the NEW Holographic Remote connection requires a HoloLens DEVICE/HARDWARE.

The emulator can be used in Windows Pro, but going from Home to Professional appears to cause people problems.
    Therefore you have to buy from the Windows Store online the updates which install on your machine and effectively upgrade the Version.
    The MAJOR problem is that NOT MANY have done this and there is a bug in that the main users accounts are not made Administrator.

Therefore for any real success you many have backup your Home version, split disk into two partitions and restore your system. Personally I would just back up your important files and re install see my way to get Win Pro Get Win 10 media select Windows 10 Professional to install, skip licences install, Install Pro. Then login with your MSA account. Go to Settings/Windows Update/Click the Windows Insider Build. Join the SLOW track upgrade.
    The PC reboots and You can now Install Window HoloLens Emulator and Tools
    These MUST be installed in sequence, and hardware BIOS set to support Hyper manager.

• Options
    ykaradayiykaradayi
    edited October 2016

Actually I'm getting the same error with a Windows 10 Pro. The remoting player worked on one project but then did not work, and showed this same warning, when I created a brand new project just to test out. What gives?

As an aside, I already have enabled the Virtual Reality Supported checkbox and do see Windows Holographic listed.

• Options

Thanks @comodin , that was the exact issue I had!

• Options

I have the same error message, have windows pro, etc. What can I check more?

• Options

Haha! Switching the platform did it! Thanks!

• Options

So to sum up - for Unity 5.6 to use the emulator we just need:

1. Under Edit>Project Setting> Players settings **FOR WINDOWS STORE **(4th tab under cursor hotspot) -- click on Virtual Reality Supported and select Windows Holographic under the SDKS (note: this option won't be available if you are on the wrong tab).
    2. Under File> Build settings > Platform select Windows Store (note: if you don't do this you will get an error message under holographic emulation).
    3. Under Windows> Holographic Emulation, select Simulate in Editor
    4. You must have Windows 10 Pro for this to work --- I assume this is still the case with Unity 5.6?? (note: you will get a bunch of warnings in the console and if you try to build it will say that the path does not exist).

Did I miss anything? I don't have windows 10 pro at the moment and am assuming that that is the cause of the errors I mention in #4 above.

• Options

Thanks @comodin, selecting "Switch Platform" from the Build Settings is what helped me when doing Chapter 5 of the Hololens 100 Tutorial.

Much appreciated!

• Options

@comodin said:
    Are you sure you switch Platatform to Windows Store?

Thank you and I'v solved my problem