Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

Component library development support

SDolhaSDolha
edited October 2016 in Questions And Answers

I wonder if we could start developing components (libraries) for holographic apps (parts of holographic views, with their own logic, etc.) Just like we have the ability to create UWP control libraries for 2D mode.

(I admit, I haven't yet checked myself if there isn't a Library project template in Visual Studio after installing HoloLens tools but I checked the documentation and didn't see any reference to building such component libraries - i.e. it's discussing just the app model, not any "component model".)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• pchpch
    Answer ✓

@SDolha said:
    I wonder if we could start developing components (libraries) for holographic apps (parts of holographic views, with their own logic, etc.) Just like we have the ability to create UWP control libraries for 2D mode.

I have built a set of UWP component library in C++ that works with my C++ app. I have also tested and used in a C# Holo App. I found no limitations so far, but I am not actively looking for them.

These components are essentially specific UI/UX objects (HUDs, a debug panel, general "Windowing" components - buttons, toolbars, menus, etc - and larger functionality based objects - i.e. file browsers) that can be used by my scene graph (which is a larger component.)

There may be limitations that I have not yet encountered.

-pch

Answers

• pchpch
    Answer ✓

@SDolha said:

I have built a set of UWP component library in C++ that works with my C++ app. I have also tested and used in a C# Holo App. I found no limitations so far, but I am not actively looking for them.

These components are essentially specific UI/UX objects (HUDs, a debug panel, general "Windowing" components - buttons, toolbars, menus, etc - and larger functionality based objects - i.e. file browsers) that can be used by my scene graph (which is a larger component.)

There may be limitations that I have not yet encountered.

-pch

• Thanks for your answer. I assume you encapsulated your code as a "Class Library", i.e. simply extracting the classes that you needed in a separate "assembly" (DLL or maybe WinMD to be able to do it cross language like in WinRT.)

However, what I wondered myself was regarding a higher level of "component" concept (that Microsoft could have engineered), allowing designing and developing something like holographic "user controls" with less core code.

But maybe I was wrong and maybe there is no need for this, and simply inheriting classes from Holographic core classes, like I assume you did, would be OK. (I didn't experienced holographic development much yet.)