Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.

3D Viewer Beta update (Sep 22, 2016)

CesarGarCesarGar admin
edited October 2016 in 3D Viewer Beta

A new update to 3D Viewer Beta is now available in the Store. Here are the release notes:

September 22, 2016

What’s new
1. Added support to open multiple models in the same session.
2. Improved shader support.
3. Updated controls to scale a model.
4. Model scale has been updated to 1 unit = 1 cm.
5. Bug fixes.

Known issues in build 1.1607.2705.0
1. The app might become unresponsive when opening too many models.

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

Tagged:

Comments

• JasonJason ✭✭
    edited September 2016

@CesarGar Hi There, great app as I find it very useful. I have a question regarding the stats the app provides on assets that are loaded as I would like to understand the usefulness of the information that the app provides.

Geometry:
    Number of vertices; Number of meshes
    Any warnings

Animation:
    Time duration of animation
    Any warnings

Texture:
    Number of texture references
    Any warnings

Material:
    Number of materials located
    Any warnings

I'm looking at optimizing art assets for various projects and I realize that there are many components that impact app performance so that the framerate remains at a constant of 60fps.

Are these stats of any use for optimization of art assets? I have read that polygon count should be kept low (below 4000) and to use standard shaders.

Will you include polygon count, shaders, etc for future release versions of this app?

Thanks,
    Jason

• @Jason We have some guidelines to optimize 3D models for 3D Viewer Beta on this page.

I'm a Microsoft employee and a member of the HoloLens team, however I do not always speak on behalf of Microsoft.

• Not the best update regarding scaling... have to go through all my old models to fix them so they scale properly (everything is in cm and not m?). All my old models are blown up to ridiculous proportions now.

• @gorgepir said:
    Not the best update regarding scaling... have to go through all my old models to fix them so they scale properly (everything is in cm and not m?). All my old models are blown up to ridiculous proportions now.

Thanks for the report, we're looking into it.

• @gorgepir said:
    Not the best update regarding scaling... have to go through all my old models to fix them so they scale properly (everything is in cm and not m?). All my old models are blown up to ridiculous proportions now.

Thanks for the feedback, we've updated the release notes to reflect this change.

• I had the same problem...one of my models was huge when viewed in the app, and could not be reduced any further. I have not yet tested importing more than one model.

• I cannot open my models from one drive anymore. I click on them, they say downloading, and then it times out. Any ideas as to what has changed?

• @Marti said:
    I cannot open my models from one drive anymore. I click on them, they say downloading, and then it times out. Any ideas as to what has changed?

We're following up with the OneDrive team.

• After installing the latest, it appears that the browsing for FBX files has become case-sensitive on the extension. I had a whole folder of files like xyz.FBX. The only one that showed up when browsing was xyz.fbx. After I renamed the files to have a lowercase extension they became available to the 3D viewer. (and changing extension capitalization can be difficult on Windows). I'm not sure if this a 3D Viewer issue, or a OneDrive issue.

• @AugmentedEngineer said:
    After installing the latest, it appears that the browsing for FBX files has become case-sensitive on the extension. I had a whole folder of files like xyz.FBX. The only one that showed up when browsing was xyz.fbx. After I renamed the files to have a lowercase extension they became available to the 3D viewer. (and changing extension capitalization can be difficult on Windows). I'm not sure if this a 3D Viewer issue, or a OneDrive issue.

This is confirmed to be a OneDrive issue and that it will be fix in their next release, coming soon.

• 3d viewer Beta updated the scaling function which was a great improvement for quickly scaling but now appears to have changed again back to pinch and drag scaling? How can I get the scale feature back from the September 22 update?

• so I'm always looking @ how we evolve HMD use and AR VR MR content creation here's how I create a rudimentary hologram using VR HTC Vive TiltBrush
    https://youtu.be/lvEnrupjKxM

and then MR and 3D Viewer to walk around it

https://youtu.be/H-1JqNBuug4

and this is just one method of making use of these fantastic and yugely expensive toys/ sorry tools this is actually part of an MR blogging E3 article http://tinyurl.com/tgvmre32016 , I take using 3D viewer further in an upcoming EGX article