Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Utilizing DXF files?

My organization uses .dxf file extensions for 3d drawings. Would we be able to place these models in 3D space? Or would they just end up being manipulated in a "2D "window" like a Edge browser page would be for example?

Answers

• Options

it depends on the data stored in the dxf. If 3d positions are being stored you should be able to convert those into 3d meshes.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

[What's best software for creating assets thread] these can convert to .fbx files which can then be viewed on HoloLens device using 3D viewer beta here

• Options

@JensenDKMG you might find this utility to be helpful.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

Thanks for the help. IT somewhat answers the question, but the files that I import don't seem to contain geometry for some reason so it wont load anything.

• Options

@JensenDKMG
    How about the AutoCAD support page Geometry File Formats

• Options

IT appears that the DXF file is a "flattened" image, no 3d data stored. I need to figure out some way to get a STP or DWG file converted. But I don't have 3DS max to convert anything because of the way our corporate IT guidelines are set up.

I can get drawings someone else may generate but I don't really have a cad program to view them or 3DS to convert them.

• Options

@HoloSheep said:
    @JensenDKMG you might find this utility to be helpful.

It was a good utility, but I found when I opened the fbx in the 3d viewer app that it did not have any geometry located within the file.

• Options

@JensenDKMG you mentioned that your "organization uses .dxf file extension for 3d drawings" which is an interesting way to phrase things. Typically drawings are described as 2D and 3D objects are often described with terms like model.

As I understand it DXF file format can be used to store either 2D or 3D information.

What is the source or your organizations DXF files? Do you create them in house? If so what 3D application is used to create them and does it have any other options for saving or exporting in other 3D formats?

Since DXF files can be opened in a text editor you should be able to open your files in Notepage and check if they contain 3D content. The following page might help you understand what kinds of things to look for.

One other option would be to download Sketchup which is a free download and gives you a 30 day trial of all the pro features. With the pro features you should also be able to import and export .dxf files according to their docs.

• Options

@HoloSheep

We Use NX to develop our models. Many of them are saved as NX dimensional drawings. I have found that we also have PRT files which is more along the lines of the full 3d drawing/model vs just dimensional data.

So I need to get some standard CAD file types converted to FBX. But I don't have access to CAD directly due to our organization restrictions. So Trying to convert a dwg or prt or stp file to FBX is what I've come down to. Without using some kind of online converter.

I know it's a bit convoluted and confusing. I appreciate the help.

• Options

@JensenDKMG browsing around the web it doesn't look like the Siemens NX software offers many different options for exporting.

So unless you have access to a copy of 3DS Max or something similar, I still think your best option is going to the be the Autodesk FBX converter tool I mentioned and linked to above, which should convert DXF over to FBX. Here is a youtube video describing how to use it, in case it helps.

The question then comes down to what your CAD operator saved into the DXF files that you have access to and whether or not they had an appropriate 3D model selected when they saved it out and if that model made it into the DXF data in a form that is 3D.

If you have a simple sample DXF that you are fairly sure has 3D content in it, I would be happy to examine it in 3DS Max to see if it is viewable from there and would be happy to look at it with notepad as described above. (Private message me if you think this would be helpful and if you have a file that you are comfortable sending me)