Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Terminate unresponsive app?

I've been building a demo for a few days and that is a cycle of compile-> deploy -> run. After my code changes I would redeploy the app and all was well.

When on the device, I have always used "bloom" to quit my app. I do not have an explicit Application.Quit() in my code. Today while prepping for demos (to management!) I notice that if I run my app, and bloom to quit, if I restart my app I do not get the "made with unity" splash screen, and when my app is rendered it seems to be unresponsive (to my voice commands).

So two questions. First, if I bloom to exit, is there any way to kill a "hung" app other than the device portal? Second, if bloom is the wrong way to exit an app what is the "right" way for an app to terminate?

BTW "management" was blown away by the demo :smile:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

I started from the shell. Yes you are of course 100% correct about the 2D window. I didn't make the connection between my holograms and that window and when my hologram disappeared, I did not go searching for it (it was lower and about 90 degrees out of view). Thanks I definitely understand it now!

• Options

Instead of blooming to quit, if I want to programmatically quit the application (by having the behaviour emulated when we press the "Remove" button of the 2D window), what is the best way to do that ?

Is there a specific API from SDK which we can use to quit the app/kill the process ?

• Options

@harshashan I haven't experimented with it in a HoloLens app but there is a UWP api call: Application.Exit that you could take a look at.

Note the Remarks in the API's documentation however.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

We are running Application.Quit(); from within Unity and we are still seeing an open Window after the app quits... Is this normal behavior. How would we call the full Application Quit?? which leaves the hololens clean??

• Options

Should not Unity's Application.Quit(); map to UWP Application.Current.Exit(); ???

• Options

These apps were all created as AppX builds and installed with Webby. We are getting feedback from novice users who have opened up the app multiple times and then bloomed out of the App... Leaving windows of the app embedded in the walls etc... Anyway to exit "All" instances of the App from the OS if not from Code?