Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Can't deploy to HoloLens without a PIN

I was able to deploy apps to my paired HoloLens before. Now suddenly Visual Studio asks for a PIN in the middle of the deploy operation.. It doesn't matter whether I am connected by Wi-Fi or USB. I know I am already paired because Device Portal shows that I am. How can I overcome this problem?

Best Answer

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@moontube have you tried "Unpair All" on the HoloLens and then re-establishing a fresh pairing through Visual Studio?

Have you tried restarting the HoloLens?

If I recall correctly the first deploy over USB does ask for a pin if it does not have a previous good pair to work with. However, over the wireless I think it also asked for a password to go with the pair.

The fact that you are now getting asked for a PIN seems to imply that something isn't right... maybe the device acquired a different IP, maybe the previous PIN somehow became corrupt, maybe something important but less oblivious changed like the device name got edited, perhaps updates to Visual Studio were made, I would imagine there are a lot of possibilities for something to have gone awry.

The simple first line of defense (after a basic device reboot) would be to go the "Unpair All" the re-establish pairing route.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

Answers

• Options

The dialog box asking for a PIN did not recognize a PIN I received from the Device Portal Security tab Credentials reset.

• Options

@moontube, when you say "Device Portal Security" are you referring to

Settings | Update & Security

on the device?

And is the Pin that you are entering appearing on the HoloLens display?

• Options

Hi Holosheep. The device is already paired. In the screenshot you show, under Paired devices it says Number of paired devices 0. My equivalent says Number of paired devices 1. Also I can tell they are connected because 360 degree View in the Device Portal changes as I move while wearing the HoloLens.

Anyway, if I am directly connected by USB cable, I shouldn't be asked for a PIN, should I? Actually, I shouldn't be asked for Wi-Fi either if I am already paired. I was able to deploy an app before without encountering this problem. Now suddenly I get asked for a PIN, with no guidance on how to obtain that PIN.

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    Answer ✓

@moontube have you tried "Unpair All" on the HoloLens and then re-establishing a fresh pairing through Visual Studio?

If I recall correctly the first deploy over USB does ask for a pin if it does not have a previous good pair to work with. However, over the wireless I think it also asked for a password to go with the pair.

The fact that you are now getting asked for a PIN seems to imply that something isn't right... maybe the device acquired a different IP, maybe the previous PIN somehow became corrupt, maybe something important but less oblivious changed like the device name got edited, perhaps updates to Visual Studio were made, I would imagine there are a lot of possibilities for something to have gone awry.

The simple first line of defense (after a basic device reboot) would be to go the "Unpair All" the re-establish pairing route.

• Options

@HoloSheep said:

Unpairing and re-pairing did the trick. Thanks, Holosheep.