Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Strange cursor behavior

Building the first iteration of Origami, where WorldCursor.cs is the only script, upon deployment I don't see the cursor at all. It does not follow my gaze. Running the same build in the Emulator, I see what appears to be a HUGE cursor edge on above the spheres. It translates back and forth in response to ASDFW key depressions, but does not rotate face-on. At this stage, I believe I am supposed to move the cursor with gaze and place it upon the stage objects and the spheres. Any idea what is wrong here? I had this working before, but since starting a new Origami from scratch I get this weird cursor behavior.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Hi @moontube,
    This might happen if you accidentally parented the cursor object to the collection. I would suggest deleting the cursor from the hierarchy and then dragging and dropping it into the open space of the hierarchy again (then re-attach your script). Make sure that the cursor is not a child of the OrigamiCollection object.
    Let me know if this helps,
    ~Angela

• Options

@ahillier said:

Make sure that the cursor is not a child of the OrigamiCollection object.

Let me know if this helps,
    ~Angela

Thanks for your suggestion, Angela. I tried it, even though it was clear in Unity that the cursor was a child of the root. As expected, there was no change. The stage and spheres show up but I cannot see a cursor. If the HUGE cursor that I saw in the Emulator was present, I have do not see it by raising my gaze, so I suspect it is not there when using the Device. Any other ideas?

• Options

Hi @moontube,
    The Origami course comes with a completed form of each chapter. I would suggest opening the 'Catch up Chapters' folder and loading '3-Gaze-Completed' into Unity. The cursor should work correctly here. Compare your current project in Unity with this one, to see where the difference is.

• Options

@Patrick said:
    Does your camera have the 'MainCamera' tag?

In the Hierarchy, the camera is identified as 'Main Camera'

• Options

Underneath the name there should be a 'tag' drop down. What's in there?

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@ahillier said:
    Hi @moontube,
    The Origami course comes with a completed form of each chapter. I would suggest opening the 'Catch up Chapters' folder and loading '3-Gaze-Completed' into Unity. The cursor should work correctly here. Compare your current project in Unity with this one, to see where the difference is.

Thanks for this suggestion, Angela. There are two differences. With the completed version, the blue rectangle appears first and I must air tap to see the hologram. No blue rectangle with the version I was working on. Second, the cursor does appear with the completed version and operates normally. I don't know where to start looking for the difference, unless it is in the code of WorldCursor.cs.

• Options

The code should be double checked for sure.
    And the inspector content of each item in the hierarchy should be looked at. Since its early in the project you shouldn't have too much to go through.

===
    This post provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights. Using information provided is done at own risk.

(Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive C:' mean?)

• Options

@ahillier said:
    Hi @moontube,
    Compare your current project in Unity with this one, to see where the difference is.

I compared code in WorldCursor.cs and found no functional differences, although there were some differences in whitespace.

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    edited June 2016

@moontube,
    I would suggest continuing the tutorial from the 'completed' chapter that you just loaded. Since everything is working fine in that project, you should be able to complete the course from there. If you encounter errors in future chapters, be sure to compare with the 'completed' forms to double-check that you did everything correctly. Coding mistakes, dragging objects to the wrong place in the hierarchy, or adding components to the wrong object, are the usual culprits of an Academy project not working.

• Options

@ahillier said:
    @moontube,
    I would suggest continuing the tutorial from the 'completed' chapter that you just loaded. Since everything is working fine in that project, you should be able to complete the course from there.

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the advice, but my concern is not with completing the tutorial. It is with knowing what is wrong. If I don't find that out, it could happen again at a later time when it really matters.

• Options
    ahillierahillier mod
    edited June 2016

Hi @moontube,
    Then start by clicking on every object in your Hierarchy and comparing the different components and settings to what the completed chapter project has. At some point, there was a step missed. Unfortunately, it's really hard for us to debug your project without any visual aids. You could also start a new project and follow the instructions step-by-step to see if you can get a repro.