Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

How to have multiple sessions of the same hologram that was deployed by the developer?

The standard holograms from the Microsoft in the start menu can be launched multiple times concurrently. That is you can have two tigers at the same time. But the new app deployed does not allow to have multiple session. This includes Origami or Galaxy explorer apps also.
When we pin the app it come to start menu but does not allow to have multiple sessions.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    HoloSheepHoloSheep mod
    edited July 2016

@Karthik I think if you launch multiple instances of the Holograms app and then look at the Apps or Processes lists in the Device Portal you will notice that there is only one instance of the app running. You may also notice that if you place multiple Holograms app windows that each time you change focus the other Holograms app windows go to sleep. The May Update allows for multiple (3) flat apps to run at the same time, but the Holograms app does not behave as multiple apps for that feature either.

It has been mentioned a number of times that the Holograms app is one of the rare examples of a mixed mode 2D Xaml and 3D Volumetric mode app that is able to display both modes at the same time. However, the general consensus is that it does so by using some undocumented apis that are not public yet.

As far as the multiple windows approach UWP apps are able to create multiple view windows and that is one way to create a multiple app instance like experience even though it is still a single app instance with multiple threads.

HTH

Edit: just noticed something interesting...
    If you open multiple Holograms app windows and then spawn a few 3D Holograms from those different windows, you still show the one version of the Holograms app running in the Apps view of Device Portal (which is basically what I said above). But, if you then close down each of the windows that you launched the 3D Holograms do not go away and more importantly after the last window (or when I got down to two holograms) I saw the Holograms app disappear from the Running apps window. It looks like the 3D objects are actually created in the HoloShell app instance and not the Holograms app instance.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options

@HoloSheep Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. As conclusion, it is not possible to have multiple Holograms app instances. If I am wrong in my understanding, please correct me. If I am correct, is there any plan, in near future you are aware that may accommodate this feature?. Thanks again for the support.

• Options

@HoloSheep Thanks for the timely help.